Outstanding Customer Service From Highland Woodworking/Olson Saw

Review by MT_Stringer posted 07-16-2012 04:35 AM 1830 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Outstanding Customer Service From Highland Woodworking/Olson Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I bought a 1/8 inch 14 Tooth band saw blade from Highland Woodworking for my new 14 inch Grizzly band saw. It was working great as I was cutting out patterns glued onto 1/4 inch mdf. I had cut ten of them (fat fonts – about 5 inches tall), when suddenly the blade broke just as I was starting the next one. No stress or strain.

I ordered another blade and a 3/16 inch 4 tooth blade from HW and I sent them an email detailing what had happened. I asked if the blade could be re-welded.

The following day I got a reply from them, part of which is included below…

“1/8” inch wide blades are the most tender of all the blades we sell. In the standard use of a bandsaw, they will be the most likely to break (both the band and at the weld) since they have the least amount of cross section of material to join. And while it is hard not to break a bandsaw blade on occasion, your blade did break quite soon from its initial use.

The eighth inch wide blades we sell come from Olson. Our wider blades come from a different manufacture. Let me check with our buyer to have him check on the manufacturer’s policy on welds for the 1/8” blades and get back to you.”

The next day, I got a reply from customer support…
“Mike,

We spoke with Olson Saw who makes the 1/8” bandsaw blade. They will send you a replacement blade direct to you. (They are located in Connecticut.)

It will not ship out until later next week since they are in the middle of a fiscal inventory at this time.

I directed them to ship to your address as noted:

MICHAEL HENDERSON
address deleted

Regards,

Ed”

Wednesday of this week, I got a package from Olson. It contains a new blade. The timing was exactly as I had been told.

I guess by now you know Highland Woodworking and Olson have a customer for life.
Kudos to both companies.

Mike Henderson

View japanesewoodworker's profile

japanesewoodworker

#1 posted 07-16-2012 04:59 AM

It is “always” Good News to hear about excellent customer service in this day-n-age of “everyone thinking I am looking for the lowest price.

I will pay for QUALITY !

This low price thinking got a company called Ralph Loren in trouble with the US Tax payers.

Did you know that the Boy Scouts of America has “all” of it’s clothes made in China. Even the belt buckle with the American Eagle and BSA insignia. A friend of mine has on his “bucket list” to CHANGE Irving Texas’s idea about having the clothes made in China. Did I mention he is “from” China, (Yes a Chinese American Boy Scout Leader in Santa Clara County (San Jose,Ca. the largest major town in the County) wanting to “change” the BSA’s purchasing thought process.

Next time ask an Official Boy Scout Store where are the uniforms made ?

If they say Irving Texas, just look at the label on the Clothing….”Made in China”....

China does NOT even recognize the Scouting organization, because of the potential military threat of the “youth” of China.

I’m off my soap box…..

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 07-16-2012 05:51 PM

I think the worst part is when they announced today that the Russian olympic team has their uniforms made in the USA. I think we just live in a global economy, and life is like that now.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#3 posted 07-16-2012 06:22 PM

Thanks for highjacking my review.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#4 posted 07-16-2012 07:03 PM

The bit about 1/8” 14 tpi blades is very true. I broke a Timberwolf one that after two uses, but then again I was cutting some stud-grade pine, very resinous, very tolling on the blade. I contacted Timberwolf about this, and was willing to pay full price for a new one, but they ended up sending me a brand new one, free of charge even for shipping. That blade is still in the package, as I bought a 3/16” 4 tpi one as you did. I’ll save it for when I need some tight scrolling done.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

#5 posted 07-17-2012 03:05 AM

Thanks for highjacking my review.
It’s not really a review….you gave the Olson blade 5 stars worth of credit and all it did was break on you !
You should have posted Highland Woodworking’s storefront photo here : )

”Review – post your personal review of a woodworking tool, course, book, magazine or DVD

Choose your post type carefully to help keep LumberJocks.com a unique and well organized resource for everyone”.

#6 posted 07-17-2012 04:03 AM

Whatever floats your boat is OK by me. My blade broke. I asked about a repair. Instead, the two companies got together and Olson sent me a replacement. I think that was pretty darn nice of them (both companies).

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#7 posted 07-17-2012 03:21 PM

I haven’t had any issue with products I purchased from Highland, but I will say that they have a kind and knowledgeable staff.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"