Quality is quality, good design is good design, both make life easier

Review by Woodwrestler posted 07-10-2012 02:20 PM 4725 views 0 times favorited 75 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality is quality, good design is good design, both make life easier No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am somewhat new to woodworking but have done a few successful projects. Much of what I have had to do is break down large sheets for cabinet projects in the shop, built in cabinets, etc. Trying to do that by yourself on a table saw is difficult and I just can’t seem to get my wife interested in helping ;-).

There is always a debate about the cost of tools and value. Time for me is the most precious resource. Consequently, as someone that is earlier in their woodworking journey, I believe that anything that can reduce my stupidity and increase my accuracy or make my life easier will save me time. Festool tools so far have achieved those goals.

The TS 75 is a great product. I opted for the larger version as it lets me stack 2-3 sheets of plywood and make perfect cuts every time.

1) For a circular saw this is the quietest tool I have ever seen.
2) All adjustments are simple and straight forward.
3) Festool’s tool cords, that are interchangeable, are so badly needed in this field one wonders at the silliness of other vendors not adopting such a simple concept.
4) The dust collection is amazing. The Makita setup I initially had still spewed dust all over the place. Even when hooked to a solid dust collection tool. The TS 75 left virtually nothing left over from making cuts. When you think of how much time you spend cleaning up saw dust that alone make this tool worth while.
5) All track saws make good cuts with the splinter guards so I am not going to make some silly claim that their splinter guard and track are straighter ;-)
6) Their tools are all systems and as such they have a thoroughly thought out set of accessories that really help you have a complete track saw system. They can get a bit pricey but most of them are nice to haves not need to haves. One thing I think they have done a good job with are their clamping tools. They have several that help you clamp the track tot he sheets.
7) One really nice feature is the sticky strips on the bottom of their track allow you to make great cuts without clamping the track tot he piece.

This was my first review post so feel free to criticize everything I said. ;-)

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

View crashn's profile

crashn

#1 posted 07-10-2012 03:31 PM

Since you invited criticism, and for a guy with a PHD and MS, item # 1 the word is seen, not scene. # 2, its simple and straight forward, not simply and straight forward. #7 it’s to not tot :)

Sorry, could not help myself. I write professionally for my IT job and grammar mistakes stick out like little red flags :) I am a stickler with my associates, bad grammar and not using spell / grammar checking will quickly get you in the outhouse and continued errors will likely put you out of a job. 85% of what we get paid on is written documentation (policy, assessment reports, opinions, guidance, instructions, etc…) and if the written material is not 100%, we don’t get our full bill rate.

Otherwise great review. Wish I had the funds to burn on festool, but my small one car garage has no more room. I know that the people who do have them rave about them. Maybe one day for me (read: Lottery).

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#2 posted 07-10-2012 03:46 PM

On a related note, it should be “field” rather than “feel” in item 4.

Sounds like a great tool. Good review though the spelling / grammar errors do “grate” on some of our nerves.

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View Stephen Fox's profile

Stephen Fox

#3 posted 07-10-2012 04:46 PM

I think festool is the way to go if you have the resources to get them. I hear that festool sanders are great as well, easy on the hands and give a good finish. Also their domino tool is fantastic for making nice joints. Many people here have those. Lots of good books out there on woodworking and for inspiration lumberjocks is great. There is everything from carving, intarsa, cabinetry, bandsaw boxes, pen making, bowl turning, and some things that do not even fit in a category. Looking forward to you posting some projects.

-- Stephen NYS

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#4 posted 07-10-2012 05:12 PM

Congrats on your TS 75. I find Festool products simply a joy to use. I have considered one of there track saws but haven’t beeen faced with the on going challenge of breaking down sheet goods. If I do, I will probably look at this saw again.

I am pondering the Kapex. I have the sawdust from my current miter saw.

Thanks for sharing.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View japanesewoodworker's profile

japanesewoodworker

#5 posted 07-10-2012 05:49 PM

I am “very” satisfied with my Festool TS75.

I have been through the “Craftsman Contractors 10” table saw” stage of my life.

I just cut 100 linear feet of Construction Grade Redwood 2×4, into 2×2. The saw ran “flawlessly”. The MFT and saw is so precise I was able to place am 1/8”, or 3mm plywood sacraficial top on my MFT. Not even a scratch on my table top.

I will try to post some photos of my set-up here. I know I have to reduce the size of some of my photos, so if this doesn’t work with my please be patient with me. Especially those with advanced education degree.

I am just a JapaneseWoodWorker ! ( Give us some slack you pHds’ and MS guys !)
God gave everyone there own special “talent” and ‘skill’.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#6 posted 07-10-2012 05:53 PM

I have the 5” and the 6” random orbital sanders from Festool along with the dust extractor and would not have any other sander in the shop. Great product and I am going to purchase the TS55 this fall when I start woodworking again. Temperatures here in Phoenix area are 114 today which is just to hot for woodworking. Oh yes, sorry for the grammer, this 73 year old woodworker only made it to the 12th grade. Had to go to work to help support the family.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View crashn's profile

crashn

#7 posted 07-10-2012 08:10 PM

Well, I did not mean to start a theme here :) I am sure that the Festool tools are wonderful, I just don’t have the $$ to spend on them right now. Would love to own some though.

Great review.

Japanesewoodworker. I am 1/2 japanese, but you can’t tell from my picture!

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

#8 posted 07-10-2012 09:33 PM

the quietest tool I have ever scene. Never mind misspelling seen ,don’t you mean heard ?
Or maybe in IT lingo herd?
LOL…”badly needed in this feel one wonders an the silliness of ….”tot he” , not once , but twice , and I guess punctuation is optional nowadays.
Sad to read a “professional” review from someone with so much schooling.
Seems to be more of a tool gloat than a review.
Your “review” really doesn’t tell us anything about the saw itself , so I had to go online to get some real information.
”Now I am a guy with a Ph.D. and M.S. in IT so you can imagine how bad design irritates me.”
Yup , I guess ALMOST as much as poorly written reviews irritate me !! LOL
Have a good day : )

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#9 posted 07-10-2012 09:45 PM

since you opted for criticism… I too was really surprised by the spelling and grammatical errors ;)

other than that, the TS is a wonderful tool to have if you have the $$$ and/or if you use it for profit.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#10 posted 07-10-2012 10:43 PM

I sincerely hope you have a sense of humor. I don’t think there’s a degree in that, at least not that I’m aware of. I like festool right where it’s at…over in their special corner with the flashing LED lighted panel stating “Neener Neener Neener, Scott, you can’t afford me…neener neener neener” I do wish I could do the clean cuts like they do, but I have a forrest WWII on my sears contractor saw and it does a pretty good job. I do so little with plywood, it wouldn’t be cost effective.

Seriously, no worries about your spelling mistakes. I make them and tons of others do on this site as well. It’s what’s in the pictures and stories that count.

Scott

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#11 posted 07-10-2012 11:38 PM

Welcome to LumberJocks Woodwrestler!

Thanks for your review on a fine saw. The panther rip blade works well on the
75 TS Festool. I purchased the 16 tooth and it went through 8/4 maple easily.

Festool’s rock.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#12 posted 07-11-2012 01:24 AM

Welcome and nice review. Would love one but I would probably be divorced for spending that much money….. Festool is the best no doubt.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

#13 posted 07-11-2012 01:29 AM

We have this same tool at work and for the most part I don’t mind it, does OK but I really don’t care for the low rpm of the arbor. The over priced blades they sell are no hell either, we take better quality ones and have them bored out to 30mm for about $15 and get much improved results. Also, don’t ever join two tracks and expect a perfect straight line; it just won’t happen.
gene

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

#14 posted 07-11-2012 02:15 AM

Wow,

I will have to remember and use the spell checker next time. Need to drink more coffee in the morning.

I agree on the blades. Luckily Klingspor’s in town here had them all marked down to $18 so I bought a few. As far as the saw being OK, I agree to some respect. It’s just a saw. Like I said, I use it to break down sheet goods and it does a great job of doing that for me. As with all track saws, you have to repeat your setup each time. Using the bigger saw it allows me to in affect do repeated cuts.

As are as track saws go its a great piece of equipment and not much more than the other name brands out there. Your right on the joining of multiple tracks. That is why I have the 105” also. Got that from a guy in town for $50.

G

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

View bandit's profile

bandit

#15 posted 07-11-2012 03:06 AM

I’ve had the same saw for about a year and I’ve joined a 55” & 75” rail together and never had a problem with straight cuts as long as the saw was calibrated to the rails and I clamp the rail to the work piece. I also use the Multifunction Table.

-- Michael Garrett