shop vac customer service

Review by sarahss posted 644 days ago 1915 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
shop vac customer service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We bought a new shop vac a few months back, and last night the motor died. I called shop vac this morning and they were very pleasant. I gave them the model number and told them that I had bought the unit within the last 6 months but wasn’t certain about the exact date. No problem, they are sending me a new motor free of charge! Great customer service experience.

View sarahss's profile

sarahss

View spunwood's profile

spunwood

I had the very same experience. Really quick service and replacement of motor.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

When I saw the title, I was worried this was going the other way. Shame on me. And thanks for posting this.

NiteWalker

When the motor on mine started making weird noises they did the same thing for me. A quick call and a few days later I had a new motor.

I figured I’d use the old one until it died before switching. That was more than a year ago and it’s still kicking. It still makes the noises (growling upon shutting it off) but works fine.

My next vac will definitely be a shop vac brand.

View saucer's profile

saucer

When mine caught on fire in the shop they sent me a new shop vac. They were real nice when the word FIRE came out and had started a small fire in a woodworking shop..

-- It has been deemed bad for you hence there for it is illegal.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I like to read about good experiences like that. I am having the opposite experience with Ridgid on a saw I recently bought. I just bought a new vac – Ridgid – and am wishing now I would have went with Shop Vac.
Hats off to Shop Vac!

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

650 posts in 2007 days

Wow , mine caught fire and motor died and I trashed it.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

So cool they took care of you. I have had this same vacuum for 8 yrs or so and beat the heck out of it with no problems as of yet. Knock on wood. Enjoy

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1191 posts in 1973 days

Me too. Same for me… Shop Vac motor died. Called. Had new motor in a couple of days. No charge. Real nice.
No instructions… just the motor… but really, it is fairly easy to exchange. I will stick with them when I need another. Wish more companies were that easy to deal with…

Gee, I wonder what good customer service comments do for long-term product sales… some companies have yet to learn…

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Yeorwned's profile

Yeorwned

While their customer services might be great, it sounds like I don’t want to buy a Shop Vac product if I expect it to last, or at least not catch on fire.

NiteWalker

There’s a lot of variables that affect motor life.
The best thing you can do for it is to use a bag and if you have the cash, a cleanstream filter.

Even better is to use the above as well as a separator like the dust deputy or rockler vortex (which is on sale).

I’ve always used bags with the standard cartridge filter and never had any issues aside from the motor making funny sounds sometimes. It’s the only source of dust collection in my shop so it gets used HARD, including shop cleanup.

So as far as I’m concerned, the shop vac brand earned a permanent place in my shop.

To the guys who had theirs catch fire, how did it happen?

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

210 posts in 2003 days

I totally agree with you! My motor died and they promptly sent me a new one free of charge!! Shopvac customer for life!

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I have four Rigids, ranging in age from 12 years to 1 year old, with two of them being over ten. Never had a motor die, although the oldest does give off that bearing growl when it comes to a stop. No fires, no dead motors. I’m glad that Shop Vac has great customer service since I used to work in a factory that made accessories for them, like wands. But I think with all these “dead motor – on fire” replies, I’ll stick to my Rigids.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

NiteWalker

Paul, that’s what the growling is? From the bearings?

View Kirk_T's profile

Kirk_T

I had the very same experience. The motor arrived quickly and customer service was great!.

-- -Kirk

View Danigirl's profile

Danigirl

I, too, have this model Shopvac and it is the worst shop vac I have ever owned. The motor makes noises, the push button switch broke a couple of months after I got it, the suction is not as strong as other brand shop vacs of the same size, wheels don’t turn and roll smoothly, the hoses pull out whenever you try to move it, the filter doesn’t always want to stay on… There are other brands out there that offer a much smoother and more efficient vac experience.