DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine is just not worth it

Review by CplSteel posted 07-09-2012 08:33 PM 5501 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine is just not worth it No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Edit: I am leaving the original post below, and I will repeat this portion of the post below, where it makes sense with the rest of the comments; but, these “stones” are actually pretty good, but the Grit they give you is a lie. I am sticking with the two stars because I wanted a 600 grit stone, not a 6000 grit stone. Ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but after all the posts and differing opinions I decide to do some tests. The test parameters were basically to flatten a plane blade with 220 grit and then use the DMT 600 side on one half of the blade and a Norton whetstone 4000 grit on the other half. the results are they did just about the same job. Actually, the 600 provided a bit more of a mirror finish and was a bit slower. Again, maybe this is just my stone or the way I use it, but I think this stone acts more like a 5,000/10,000. I will do some more testing, but this is my update for now.

ORIGINAL POST:

I know some people love these stones, and that is why I bought one. But I have to say, while it will get the job done, it is not the best way to do so. The fact that better options are also cheaper just seals the deal.

The stones do cut, but so slowly. My understanding of the process of sanding or sharpening is like this: High grit = small scratches, low grit = big scratches: big scratches remove more material then small scratches- therefore, use a low grit to get the shape you want, then remove the scratches with higher grits. If that is your understanding, then skip these stones because in the time it takes the 600 grit to make an edge you can get a 4000 wetstone to do the same thing. Given how slow the stone is I don’t see the point. I wish I had bough something else.

Other people like these stones and if you are one of them, I have a DMT DuoSharp 600-1200 for sale, cheap. Otherwise, for the price of this stone you buy something like the Norton Wetstone 220/1000 4000/8000 kit.

View CplSteel's profile

CplSteel

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 07-09-2012 09:05 PM

pm sent

#2 posted 07-10-2012 01:26 AM

I have to agree. I wore one out after about half a dozen chisels. Cuts about as well as a soggy piece of bread now.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

#3 posted 07-10-2012 10:56 AM

Good to know as I was going to buy one

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#4 posted 07-10-2012 11:20 AM

First of all it’s not a stone, it’s a diamond impregnated plate and it’s highly doubtful anyone will “wear one out” with a half dozen chisels.
I don’t care to use these either for a final polish as I think any good water stone works better and quicker.
This DMT’s brother, the coarse/extra coarse, works great though for initial edge shaping and for flattening water stones and its a less expensive option than the Shapton lapping plate.

#5 posted 07-10-2012 12:17 PM

Fair enough; I’m listening for explanations as to why it no longer cuts.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 07-10-2012 03:21 PM

wash it with soapy water and a tooth brush and see if that gets it cutting again.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#7 posted 07-10-2012 03:46 PM

I don’t like this stone either. Little snarky against JJ, though, huh? The only DMT I use now is the X-coarse/coarse. I really only use it to flatten other stones, though. It’s aggressive as all get-out and a complete different animal than JJ’s soggy bread fine/X-fine. I agree totally, JJ.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#8 posted 07-10-2012 03:49 PM

I’ve got the full set of Duo Sharps (X-Coarse/Coarse, Fine/X-Fine) and also an X-X-Fine. I have no real complaints yet, other than requiring cleaning from time to time to get them cutting nicely again. The 10” ones are a nice size when using the honing guide.

I’ll admit, though, that I have only had them for 2 months, and the only other thing I’ve used so far is scary sharp with sand paper

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

View CplSteel's profile

CplSteel

#9 posted 07-10-2012 05:41 PM

I am the OP, and I did not mean to start a huge controversy. So here is a caveat, I do not have, nor have I ever used the DMT X-Coarse/Coarse stone, er, diamond impregnated plate, which may be a lovely piece of equipment. I will try and clean it up and take it for another drive as SSNVET suggests. Maybe it is all user error and I am not cleaning it well enough. If it gets all better I will come be sure to let everyone know it was not the diamond impregnated plate, it was me.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#10 posted 07-10-2012 06:35 PM

You might try using a spray bottle with some water while using the plate, like you would a waterstone. It helps lubricate and the water carries the swarf away making it less likely to plug up. Then just rinse and wipe dry and you’re done. Again, diamonds are the hardest substance known to man, no need to worry about your chisels or plane blades wearing it out.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#11 posted 07-10-2012 06:53 PM

This is an interesting thread. I’ve had the same stone for about two years. I’m happy with it. But, I had a problem when I first received mine. Yes, diamonds are very hard, but I think that the problem was how well the particles adhered to the substrate.

I used my nearly new stone to sharpen a marking knife. Maybe my technique was flawed, but in the end, much of the stone was completely smooth. The diamonds were gone and it no longer sharpened in those areas.

I returned the stone. I talked with a man on the phone who had my returned stone in hand and was very surprised at its condition. They sent me a replacement, along with four other sharpening freebies from their demonstration collection. So far, this stone is working fine.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#12 posted 07-10-2012 06:59 PM

I have the four stone set, used them for the last year + with no controversy or complaint. Not the least tempted to try anything else at the moment. Maybe it is that specific stone, and not you.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

#13 posted 07-11-2012 12:47 AM

What happened to ChuckV sounds a lot like what happened with mine. It doesn’t matter how hard diamonds are if they don’t stick to the substrate.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#14 posted 07-12-2012 10:58 PM

I have the trend stone and love it it cuts fast it has a lapping fluid that you should be using on your dmt I will gladly take your soggy piece of bread for 25 bucks pm me if you want to sell it

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#15 posted 07-12-2012 11:06 PM

the dmt uses a method where the homogenous diamonds are mixed in the metal all the way through the finish the only way to remove the diamonds is to remove the plating i know you could not have done this in 10 years of use so my offer stands