Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit

Review by Roger posted 07-08-2012 01:49 AM 2795 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a really nice fixed and plunge base compact router. I know I will use this much in the future for smaller routing jobs. Lotsa power, ez to use, gr8 quality. I got it at a really super price a while back, and I finally got round to using it. I cut the slots in my “football helmet” steadyrest jig that I made for turning long stock, like cane/s, spindles, etc. This worked very nicely. I look forward to using it more for many things. Not much of a review, but, I would say if you don’t have this, or, one similar to it in yer shop, you’d luv yerself fer gettin one.

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

#1 posted 07-08-2012 02:24 AM

I dont have a router period and this looks like a good one to start off with. I may have to bite the bullet and get this. Thanks for the review.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

#2 posted 07-08-2012 02:37 AM

do a search for the best price. Amazon might have it for a good price right now, or someone will. Good luck.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5106 posts in 1965 days

#3 posted 07-08-2012 05:06 PM

Roger…I have eyeing this router kit and the Dewalt 1.25hp kit for a while. I have several 2.25hp routers that are great but not small and lightweight like these. Let me know how you like it after using it for a few tasks. This one and the dewalt both get good reviews…however the dewalt is not variable speed.
My only problem is all my router bits have 1/2” shanks and I would have to get 1/4 bits to use with a smaller router.

#4 posted 07-08-2012 05:54 PM

Any model number on this ? ....I see everything but that on the box. How much was yours ?
Thanks

#5 posted 07-08-2012 10:46 PM

@Greg: this isn’t a variable speed either. I used it to cut the slots in my lathe steady rest, and also freehanded the wide dados to house those Walnut runners holding the wheels. It works really well.
@Dusty56: It is model # 450PK because it has the fixed and the plunge base. I’m pretty sure I only paid about 130. w/shipping. I got an email from Tool King, or Acme, or one o them places with an additional 20% + free shipping and I jumped on it.

#6 posted 07-09-2012 12:45 AM

Thank you …I’ve been looking at the little DeWalt , but it would just be a new toy for me right now…..I already have a VS Bosch Colt , but no plunge feature.

View Milo's profile

Milo

851 posts in 1975 days

#7 posted 07-09-2012 03:08 AM

I have the previous generation of this Porter Cable router kit and I LOVE IT. I use it only for special jobs, relegating my other routers for grunt work (i.e. fixed jobs like table routers). I am pretty sure mine is a variable speed router, but don’t remember right off the top of my head.

Thanks for the review!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

#8 posted 07-09-2012 10:26 AM

I have the Rigid and I love it.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#9 posted 07-09-2012 04:51 PM

I have the dewalt, it’s mediocre. I will end up with the Ridgid. I don’t like the plunge bases on porter cable routers. Not saying they are bad, it’s a personal decision.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#10 posted 07-16-2012 07:08 PM

Greg, I don’t know if it is still out there, I know my HD has one on the shelf, but HD offered the Rigid with a free plunge base that was 1/4 and 1/2. I love mine, echoing Bert’s comments. And it’s not too big.

Sorry, I just looked on their site – sale gone…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View BenI's profile

BenI

#11 posted 07-18-2012 01:07 AM

Thanks for posting this, I’ve also been looking at this and the Dewalt trim router so this helps with that decision, although I’d really prefer a router with VS.

-- Ben from IL