Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit

Review by Roger posted 753 days ago 2707 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit Porter-Cable Porter Cable 1.25 HP Compact Router Fixed/Plunge Combo Kit No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a really nice fixed and plunge base compact router. I know I will use this much in the future for smaller routing jobs. Lotsa power, ez to use, gr8 quality. I got it at a really super price a while back, and I finally got round to using it. I cut the slots in my “football helmet” steadyrest jig that I made for turning long stock, like cane/s, spindles, etc. This worked very nicely. I look forward to using it more for many things. Not much of a review, but, I would say if you don’t have this, or, one similar to it in yer shop, you’d luv yerself fer gettin one.

View Roger's profile

View jaykaypur's profile (online now)

jaykaypur

I dont have a router period and this looks like a good one to start off with. I may have to bite the bullet and get this. Thanks for the review.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

View Roger's profile

do a search for the best price. Amazon might have it for a good price right now, or someone will. Good luck.

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1912 days

Roger…I have eyeing this router kit and the Dewalt 1.25hp kit for a while. I have several 2.25hp routers that are great but not small and lightweight like these. Let me know how you like it after using it for a few tasks. This one and the dewalt both get good reviews…however the dewalt is not variable speed.
My only problem is all my router bits have 1/2” shanks and I would have to get 1/4 bits to use with a smaller router.

Any model number on this ? ....I see everything but that on the box. How much was yours ?
Thanks

View Roger's profile

@Greg: this isn’t a variable speed either. I used it to cut the slots in my lathe steady rest, and also freehanded the wide dados to house those Walnut runners holding the wheels. It works really well.
@Dusty56: It is model # 450PK because it has the fixed and the plunge base. I’m pretty sure I only paid about 130. w/shipping. I got an email from Tool King, or Acme, or one o them places with an additional 20% + free shipping and I jumped on it.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Thank you …I’ve been looking at the little DeWalt , but it would just be a new toy for me right now…..I already have a VS Bosch Colt , but no plunge feature.

View Milo's profile

Milo

849 posts in 1923 days

I have the previous generation of this Porter Cable router kit and I LOVE IT. I use it only for special jobs, relegating my other routers for grunt work (i.e. fixed jobs like table routers). I am pretty sure mine is a variable speed router, but don’t remember right off the top of my head.

Thanks for the review!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

I have the Rigid and I love it.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I have the dewalt, it’s mediocre. I will end up with the Ridgid. I don’t like the plunge bases on porter cable routers. Not saying they are bad, it’s a personal decision.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Greg, I don’t know if it is still out there, I know my HD has one on the shelf, but HD offered the Rigid with a free plunge base that was 1/4 and 1/2. I love mine, echoing Bert’s comments. And it’s not too big.

Sorry, I just looked on their site – sale gone…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View BenI's profile

BenI

Thanks for posting this, I’ve also been looking at this and the Dewalt trim router so this helps with that decision, although I’d really prefer a router with VS.

-- Ben from IL