Classic Roy for the diehard fan

Review by jjw5858 posted 649 days ago 1527 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Classic Roy for the diehard fan No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ok here it is….we have waited and waited and then that great day came when we finally got the news…..the Woodrights Shop is finally going to be released on dvd!!!!!

Before I even review this first installment I want to say in my opinion this set may only be for the diehard Roy Underhill/Woodrights shop fan only, in regards to if you are wondering if the marked down $39.99 to $29.99 price tag is worth your money for each double disc dvd package.

The shows content….is priceless, great topics well instructed in Roys race to the 27 minute mark style. If country woodwork is your passion….this first 2 dvd set will make for some great learning. Roy is as always very enjoyable and spirited in his presentation, even when certain pieces of the project do not always fall together right on the spot Roy keeps a great enthusiasum that makes the viewer ready to go out and tackle felling a tree or hewing a log.

The projects themselves follow suit to his first book. You make a maul and glut, shaving horse, field rake, etc. All very interesting and not for the out of shape coach potato in any way, lol.

Now….with all good things, sometimes there is some bad….lol

If you are expecting shows of classic Roy to shine spit polished loud and proud on your big screen tv…..ahhhh…...that’s not gonna happen at all….lol.

I realize beggers cannot be choosers, I myself can and will live with it, but my review would be totally unfair to all of you if I did not say that….. I was a little dissapointed with the overall vhs style conversion to dvd. There are tracking marks throughout the first season of the set as well as poor audio.

I am a graphic designer by trade….the main menu was not very inviting either in my opinion. The main menu in no way matched the outside package that looks nice and in good style of the shows. No extras on the disc, no slideshows….etc. I am a huge fan…..I mean to me…this is Roy Underhill….I think his shows put to this format deserve far better production and care then honestly looking as if they were burned on to a DVD by a friend.

If you have no problems with that….you will love the set of season one. The information and learning is wonderful and I am overall very happy they finally released these.

Now….they have released seasons 1 ,2 ,3 and 20. Good news…...I have seen some portions of 20….(Com on….you know I have all four…lmao!!!!) Season 20 (2000) looks and sounds much more in the quality of something you would expect with a price tag of $29.99.

My apologies on my ignorance if in fact this was the best that they were able to do on the early seasons…..I am not a video specialist….so I may be wrong in my dissapointment with the actual footage and sound.

I give this a four stars…simply because of the overall lack of quality to some very highly educational material.

Here is a link for additional information you may find helpful.

Ok friends, I hope you get a chance to check these out, some wonderful material here to learn from.

Thanks for your time and great shavings ahead!

Joe

-- "Make something you love tomorrow...and do it slowly" JLB

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

109181 posts in 2075 days

Thanks for the review,I really like Roy I met him in person and he’s just the same great guy you see on his show.

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

It’s still got to be better than when i tried to watch it on air when i was little. A nice snowy, fuzzy picture with static sound coming in and out beating on the side of the tv box trying to get better reception. Remember those days. He has a school now in North Carolina. Someday i’d like to take a class. http://www.woodwrightschool.com/

Thanks for the review and info.

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

View nobuckle's profile

nobuckle

I remember when I first saw the Woodwright’s shop. I thought to myself, who is this goofball? I have since come to respect Mr. Underhill and his passion for traditional woodworking. I enjoy watching the show on line. I know that I am not getting all of the classic episodes but that’s okay for me. Thanks for doing this review. I’ll keep it in mind if I decide to buy the dvd series.

-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

nobuckle, I still say that (the goofball part). The guy is so high strung, he makes me nervous watching him work. Some might say that he is a spaz.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View Bill729's profile

Bill729

Everyone is aware that Seasons 2006-2011 are available online, right?

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

I am currently working on my complete New Yankee Workshop Set once done with that roy will be next for sure

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View xwingace's profile

xwingace

I love Roy, he’s hilarious. I was watching the show and they had a close up of his hands and the wife actually gasped at how rough they are. True craftsman’s hands!

-- I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile (online now)

TopamaxSurvivor

Roy definitely has craftsman hands ;-)

Thanks for the review. I really love Roy and the Woodwright’s Shoppe, but at $40 a season, I’ll probably pass. There is a lot of repetition in 25 years of WWing and I already have too much stuff!