A great forstner bit set from a big box store

Review by bobasaurus posted 751 days ago 5590 views 0 times favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great forstner bit set from a big box store A great forstner bit set from a big box store A great forstner bit set from a big box store Click the pictures to enlarge them

I made a trip to Lowes and bought this 14-piece forstner bit set . I needed the larger sized bits for a project I’m working on, so I just bought the entire set to prevent future bit hunting. I also have a small Rockler 8-piece forstner set and a Rockler power bore bit set to compare with. These Porter Cable bits are much better than the Rockler forstners at removing chips due to the wide flutes that extend to the top (power bore bits are still the best at chip removal, though), so I can make fewer plunges and get fewer burn marks. The wall smoothness is about the same between the forstner brands, but the power bore leaves rougher walls. The blow-out when through-drilling seems to be about the same for all three. So, based on the superior chip removal I have to declare these Porter Cable bits the best I’ve used for press drilling. The pictures show some holes I drilled for my current project with these bits, all of which came out really nice considering this African mahogany wood chips-out and gums-up if you even look at it funny.

View Milo's profile

Milo

849 posts in 1917 days

Wow, I like that. How much does Lowes want for that? Thanks for the demo!

NOW, what I really want is a new Brad Point bit set!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

bobasaurus

Milo, the set was about $50. Not bad considering they were listed for $10-$20 apiece on the shelf.

View treaterryan's profile

treaterryan

I just picked (like literally, 2 hours ago) up the Wood River 10 piece set at Woodcraft in Colorado Springs for 22 bucks. Woodcaft has a dal on them right now. I’ll have to review them and compare them to your notes. Thanks for he review!

-- Ryan - Bethel Park, PA

View dnick's profile

dnick

My son gave me this set last christmas, and I have to say they are superior to the Craftsman, smaller set, I have. 5 star from me. Good deal.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

bobasaurus

treaterryan, I saw that deal on the woodcraft site but I needed a few more sizes. This set had the ones I was missing, and then some, though maybe it’s not quite as good a deal. Also, I’m amazed the woodcraft store wasn’t on fire, given the location :) (I’m in Lafayette, CO and can see smoke plumes everywhere).

View treaterryan's profile

treaterryan

I’m out here for work (non-fire related) and I’ll admit, being from PA, I knew there was a fire here, but didn’t realize it was HERE! Smoke everywhere and to be honest, it smells like a campfire themed yankee candle outside. I drove out Rt. 24 (AFTER Woodcraft visit, priorities, priorities…) to see what I could see, and just a few miles out of town, I came to some blackened area. We got aout 2 hours worth of rain earlier and I’m sure that was a relief to the firefighters (as they were all hanging out at Wal-Mart in Woodland Park). It’s the craziest thing, I have never seen a wildfire, but the whole town of Co Springs, west of I-25 was blanketed in heavy smoke, similar to dense fog! I’m out near the airport now and the high winds seem to keep this area pretty clear.

-- Ryan - Bethel Park, PA

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

I bought this set from Lowes about two years ago and have quite satisfied with it. I haven’t written a review simply because it is my first and only set of Forstner bits.

FYI, I bought the brad point bit set from Lee Valley and they are wonderful. The nicest drill bits I’ve ever used.

Scott

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Agreed. Had my set for over a year, not a problem anywhere.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

Thanks for the review…curious as to what your project is though ?
Happy July 4th !

bobasaurus

Dusty, I’m making a pool cue rack. The odd routed shape is for holding the bridge stick. Here are the in-progress build photos: http://imgur.com/a/3vsX0

I see it now …as soon as I read “pool”,the light bulb went on ! LOL
thanks for the link : )

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good way to spend a gift card.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

I’ve had the same set of over 1 year and have been pleased.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

Makes me feel good that I bought this set last year. It wasn’t as high as $50 then though, more like $30! It’s been a great set though.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View Iggles88's profile

Iggles88

I have the same set I’ve been very unhappy with mine, even going through pine it has major problems. Does anyone have a way of sharpening them? I’ve seen Forstner bits sharpened with a rotary tool but they are the straight flutes with no teeth