Good Idea - Bad Execution

Review by ChuckV posted 756 days ago 1893 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Idea - Bad Execution No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Lee Valley recently had a free-shipping offer, I bought a few things that I had been waiting to get. While I was on the site, I noticed this drill attachment. This is something that I wish I had quite a few times recently to drill a hole or drive a screw in a hard-to-get-at location.

I did some research on this drill attachment. It is not a LV/Veritas product, but is sold by LV. It is also sold on Amazon. I read some reviews there. There was a wide variety of evaluations. I decided to give it a chance.

It is a clever design. The handle is rotated to lock and unlock the pivot. Once the handle locks the pivot, it is held very securely, and the handle provides a good grip on the attachment.

But, I have to rate this device as 1-star. The attachment that I received was very much out of alignment. When the drill was running, the whole thing vibrated and the bit was wobbling so much as to make it unusable. The spinning bit appeared as a blurry cone.

I tried some different bits to be sure that that was not the problem and that I had the bit properly seated in the chuck. Even without a bit, the vibration was noticeable, I tried the extender in two different hand drills. I also tried it in my drill press. The problem was always there.

I’ve purchased lots of great stuff from LV. This is the first time that I have been dissatisfied and returned something. I now know that LV has a great return/refund system. I put the attachment back in its box, attached the postage-paid label, and dropped it off at the post office. Soon, I had a refund of the purchase price on my credit card.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

View boxcarmarty's profile

boxcarmarty

It makes me wonder if it is just a bad design in general, or if this particular one just slipped thru QA with a bad mesh on the gears???

-- My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

There were some reviews that complained of this same problem – so it seems like a hit-or-miss thing.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I got one of these as a Christmas gift from my BIL about 5 years ago. I don’t use it a lot but when I need it, it’s a life saver. I’ve never had any issues with it. As mentioned I don’t use it a lot, once or twice a year at most, but it doesn’t wobble on me as you describe. The run out on the chuck is about the same as my Craftsman cordless drill. It’s there, but not unacceptable. For applications where absolutely no run out is acceptable, I use the drill press and that’s it.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts