HF 6" ratchet clamp... why do I do this to myself?!?

Review by harvey4804 posted 756 days ago 2961 views 0 times favorited 35 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HF 6" ratchet clamp... why do I do this to myself?!? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I picked up 2 Harbor Freight 6” ratchet clamps a while back and they worked just fine… for 1.99 clamps. The holding pressure wasn’t a whole lot but for little jobs it was fine. The alignment/parallelism of the actual clamp pads are off by several degrees no matter how much you clamp it down. But again… 1.99 clamps. This past weekend I was using it to help me assemble a decorative fence around my wife’s garden. After a short period in the sun the plastic got so soft that when I went to clamp a board, the handle literally fell apart in my hand. Will I buy this again? Probably, considering they’re so cheap. But Im definitely gonna start buying “real” clamps, preferably one made here in the good ol USA!

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

Garbage. Period.
The real question is, three stars??

View IrreverentJack's profile

IrreverentJack

Most of these break right away. Some will last long enough that you begin to trust them. When those break, and IF YOU USE THEM THEY WILL BREAK, that pretty orange plastic and pot metal will make you bleed. Three stars is too high of a rating. -Jack

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

Worst clamp ever made. My local HF store stopped carrying them all together.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View rance's profile

rance

Yep, worst clamp ever made. I wouldn’t call it a ratchet clamp though. These are ‘quick clamps’, or is it ‘quick junk’?

They do have a decent F-clamp with a rubber grip. Cheap, but good.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

I got stupid and bought a half dozen of these because, hey they were $1.99, but then again, I know better than to leave a clamp like this in the hot Texas sun. The pivot on mine haven’t failed yet, but I refuse to put all that much pressure into them… And I expect failure from them eventually. I already have the article bookmarked on how to fix them permanently…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

This is the only tool I bought at HF which qualify for real crap.

We just went through this last month …the whole world should know by now NOT to buy these things !

3 stars is unbelievably too high…think about it ..5 stars means perfection , couldn’t ask for anything better !

may he means minus 3 stars

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

Dusty, I agree. This should be negative stars. In fact you would have better luck trying to clamp your pieces by taping the two 1$ bills these clamps cost to your work piece instead of spending it on these clamps.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

hang on….

I need to get a re-fill and pop some popcorn… because you’ve just ignited the Harbor Freight bomb and are going to get 188 replies argueing something that has little to nothing to do with the clamps you reviewed. :^O

That said…. you can pick up the light duty Irwin Quick clamps in a nice little pack of four, with some small hand spring clamps for short money when HD has them on sale.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I have used these clamps in the shop for very small jobs and to secure jigs to the tablesaw only. When I do use them, it is only to secure material for final clamping with good clamps. Would I buy them again? Defintely not. They will be replaced with Erwin or something more substancial. I only have 4 and when they are gone, they are gone forever.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Dan's profile

Dan

I agree with everyone else.. These clamps are pure crap… I have a lot of the HF bar clamps and those work just fine and I have had few problems with them but the ratchet clamps I bought all broke. I think I had 3 and they didn’t even last me long enough to use on small jobs.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View crank49's profile

crank49

I have a few of these for light use. When one broke I opened it up and discovered if you put a machine screw through the handle for a trigger pivot point it works pretty good. I have since “fixed 3 more”.
Still, not much clamp though.

Most of my clamps are Jorgensen, Made in USA. And they are great.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

I have two, one has the bolt ‘fix’ The other clamps my tape dispenser to the bench.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Lol at the comments:) To be completely fair, I’ve had some Besseys explode on me before. I’ve got no beef with HF but there ain’t a whole lot of mystery there;)