Deft Poly Sprays Well

Review by pintodeluxe posted 793 days ago 1705 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deft Poly Sprays Well No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently sprayed a front door with Deft satin Poly, and the project went quite well. I thinned the poly with 10% mineral spirits, which made it flow out and spray well. I used a gravity feed HVLP gun with a 1.5 mm tip.
No sags or runs. No orange peel.
My only complaint is it took 24 hours for each coat to dry. You need a place that will not be disturbed by foot traffic to finish with poly. The can says 4-6 hours to dry, but at 65-75 degrees it took all day and night.
Nice product. I found it at Miller paint stores.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

View jim C's profile

jim C

Try Minwax Polycrylic (water Base), as I sprayed Oak Cabinet doors and had wonderful results. No sag, no sanding, and it dries in 1 hour!
When you spray it, it will look milky and bubbly, but just leave it alone and in one hour it’s clear, flat and beautiful.
Good Luck

View bh442's profile

bh442

I’m using the water based Minwax Poly on my kitchen cabinets I’m building and I’m really happy with it. I’ve been finishing my wood first before assembling. I can get 3 coats on in a day then I let it sit for another day before putting everything together.

When it comes to finishes, is oil based harder than water? I mean protection-wise.

And if you guys don’t mind me getting a touch off topic, what would you suggest to look for when choosing hvlp guns for woodworking? Right now I’m still brushing everything.

I was looking at a Fuji Mini Mite, but don’t know if it would be an overkill.

-- Bill - Wattsburg, PA.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

Bill,
I can’t speak to the longevity of water based products, but I know I have seen oil based poly hold up beautifully in exterior applications for 10+ years and counting. For interior applications I always use pre-catalyzed lacquer. With lacquer you can spray three coats in a day. The one universal complaint I have heard about water based finishes (including renowned finishing expert Jeff Jewitt) is that they lack the deep luster or color quality of oil based products.
As far as spraying equipment, I recommend the Porter Cable gravity-feed HVLP gun. For around $100 you get a quality gun that includes a regulator. For about a third of that price you can buy a Woodriver gravity-feed gun from Woodcraft. They are both very good guns. I use one for stain and the other for topcoats.
Good luck!

View bh442's profile

bh442

Thanks pinto.

I just ordered a gun. And thanks for the pre cat lacquer advice. I’m going to go see if I can hunt down a small can at HD or Lowes and give it a try.

-- Bill - Wattsburg, PA.