Dan's Whetstone Company Customer Service and Product

Review by cakman posted 06-20-2012 03:41 PM 5036 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dan's Whetstone Company Customer Service and Product No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking for a sharpening product that I could use between my super fine diamond stone and a leather strop that is different than the Norton 8000 grit water stone I was currently using. I think the water stone is a great product, but I hate the maintenance and mess of a water stone.

When I took a class at the Homestead Heritage School of Woodworking, we learned about sharpening and the system that was used was diamond stones (up through super fine) and then the Translucent Arkansas Stone, followed by the strop. The demonstration and end result looked easy, relatively fast, and very sharp (with minimal mess and fuss). I decided to look into a similar system so on the hunt for a Translucent Arkansas Stone I went.

I sent emails to a few reputable companies and Dan’s Whetstone answered my email the next day. In fact, they were the only one to do so. We corresponded back and forth about what sizes I was interested in, and my price range and after about a week (including a weekend), she sent me pricing and availability on the product I was looking for within my price range. I agreed to order one, sent in my payment and shipping info and was pleasantly surprised to see an email the next day with 2 pictures of the exact stone they picked out for me. This was great because I was interested in a seconds and asked if they could make sure that the natural defects of the stone were not through the body of the stone but around the edges as I would be sharpening plane irons and chisels and didn’t want something right through the middle of a 2” wide stone. She said she included my request on the quote so the guys in production could hand pick me something that would work for what I wanted. The pictures of the stone (both sides) looked great and I was happy to respond with my final okay of the order.

I received my order today and my god is this thing perty. I’ve never used a natural stone before so it is neat to see how beautiful these are. As you can see from the attached picture the stone is a translucent faded pearly white color with small circles of pinkish purple throughout. Gorgeous!!!!! I cant say enough about how great my experience has been with Dan’s Whetsone Company. I give their customer service and product (so far) a huge 5 star rating.. If anyone has been on the fence about this company, I recommend going for it.

Thanks for reading,

Cory

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 06-20-2012 07:56 PM

So the stone is purdy and Dan’s in nice…. please comment on how it works.

I’ve used soft natural Arkansas and a man-made mediumhard Arkasas…. but never the translucent or surgical black, so I’m curious how well these work for getting a great edge.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#2 posted 06-20-2012 08:03 PM

Ill report back on how it works later today after I get home and give it a go.

I already knew the type of stone I was looking for so I did not ask about the differences between the stones. As helpful as they were, I am sure they would have given more details about that if I asked.

How did you like the two types you used? It sounds like a soft Arkansas followed by a medium hard, and then the translucent would give you quite a polished surface.

View mveach's profile

mveach

#3 posted 06-21-2012 05:38 AM

I have used a hard Arkansas for ever. It does a fine job.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 06-21-2012 12:48 PM

I go from med. India to the med hard Ark. and it has always worked well enough…. Results are good, but not exactly speedy. My soft Ark is a slip stone, for odd shaped blades (and 1/3 of it is broken off), so I don’t use it often.

lately, I’ve added the step of going to a granite plate with wet/dry sand paper on it…. and while that works, the paper doesn’t last very long.

I’ve never used a water stone, or powered system, so I don’t have much to compare with.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#5 posted 06-21-2012 02:25 PM

I finished sharpening 4 chisels last night that had been flattened and sharpened up to the extra fine of my diamond stones. The sizes were a 1 1/4”, 1/2”, 1/4”, and 1/8”. I started off trying to use mineral oil on the hard translucent stone but the mineral oil I had was too viscous and did not allow the stone to cut, just created a film over the stone that the chisel skated over. Instead of thinning out the mineral oil with mineral spirits, I grabbed some baby oil and tried that. Much better. After about 10 light strokes I started to see very light particles in the slurry on the outsides of the path the chisel traveled over the stone. It seems like the oil was carrying away the shavings like it should. I inspected the back of the wide chisel and sure enough was starting to see a more clear reflection of myself where the stone was cutting. I continued until i had a an even scratch pattern (although you cant see the scratches, they are so small) all the way out to the end. I followed it up with a few strokes on the strop and the surface was nicely polished and flat.

There are a few other observations I should mention about this stone that might be of interest. First off, this thing is HARD and SMOOTH and FLAT. I put the straight edge of an engineers square to it and its flat.

After examining the surface of the stone, I noticed that a few areas of the pinkish purple circles had an exposed core that was softer than the rest of the stone. Picture a knot in wood, similar thing. This might be a defect and one of the main reasons why this stone is considered a second. It did not have an effect on how the stone performed so no worries.

If you look closely at the picture, there is a small crack on the right hand side in the middle of the stone. I tried running my finger nail over the crack to see if it would prevent me from using that side and I couldn’t even tell it was there. I don’t think I will ever be hindered by this small crack. I am very pleased by this.

I guess one of the last things I noticed was how easy it was to sharpen the back of the 1/8” chisel. On the more course surfaces of the diamond stones, I had to be super careful about how much pressure I applied so I wouldn’t gouge the edge of the chisel into the stone. With the hard translucent stone, no matter what kind of pressure I put on it, it glided over the surface smooth as silk. It was a nice feeling and points to how hard and smooth and flat this thing is.

So after an hour and a half of use, I still give this thing 5 stars, and I stand behind my 5 star rating of the customer service I received from Dan’s.

Now I have to go scrounging around the kitchen drawers looking for stuff to sharpen.. I wonder if the girlfriend would mind if her metal spatulas can shave the end grain of soft pine like butter? hmmmmm

View BigJohn's profile

BigJohn

#6 posted 01-02-2014 01:49 AM

I ordered the 8×2 x 1 hard black and hard stones about two weeks ago from Dan’s and haven’t heard anything from them. I don’t know if there is a back order or what. Last week was Christmas week maybe that is part of the reason for the lack of communication. I was charged within a day of ordering. Hopefully they will come soon. Can’t wait to use them.