Woodcraft the best Customer Service and support for Wood River Planes

Review by bloqbeta posted 765 days ago 1939 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodcraft the best Customer Service and support for Wood River Planes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought my first plane, a Wood River No. 4 Plane and had it shipped to my sister in Florida, who brought it down to Guatemala where I live, that took almost 2 months. I received it yesterday and prepared it for the bench, cleaned all the gunk, honed the blade perfectly, razor sharp with an imperceptible camber.

Grabbed a beautiful plank of highly figured mahogany and started planing the face of the board, and to my surprise, it left a very deep indentation. They were not plane track but deep indentations.

Having a closer look at the perfectly flat sole I noticed at the right side on the top and bottom corner two heavy dents that protrude to the sole. These bumps on the corner throw the sole completeley out of flatness and left the deep indentations in the wood.

That ruined my whole night… today, I got in touch with Woodcraft and filed my complaint. Returning the plane would be much more expensive that having to buy a Lie Nielsen in the first place.

In 4 hours I got my response, they are sending to Guatemala a new plane replacement as we speak, handpicked by their QC staff and having their sharpening expert hone the blade personally. Jeanne from their Costumer service was very polite and made the day in a very unfortunate situation.

That said, I am pleased to spread the word on a store that puts their name and honor on what they sell and they have honestly made a loyal customer for a very long time.

View Domer's profile

Domer

241 posts in 1965 days

I have had excellent service from my local Woodcraft Store. I have had very few complaints but every time I have, they have taken care of me.

Domer

View jeth's profile

jeth

I had a similar experience with Woodcraft, who after many weeks trying to charge my (mexican) bank account for the full amount with no success, sent me my woodriver no.4 by express mail at less than half the asking price :)

What part of Guatemala are you in?? I am right on the border here in Tapachula…

View Rick1911's profile

Rick1911

I’ve got to chime in here. I ordered two quarts of different General Finishes stains from Woodcraft via Amazon.com (they are a partner store with Amazon). The total order, with shipping, was close to $50 – so, not an insignificant amount. They arrived very quickly via Fedex – and the packaging was wonderful – however, upon opening the box, the cans were dented badly. Neither was leaking, but it was obvious that the cans had been dented BEFORE they were shipped – as there was no damage to the box they came in. I emailed Woodcraft, telling them I would not have bought cans that looked like that in a store, and I didn’t expect them to arrive that way buying online.
I received immediate email from Woodcraft, apologizing, and they told me to just keep the cans of stain and use them and I would receive replacement cans at no charge. The original cans were delivered on a Tuesday, and I had the replacement cans on Thursday. I couldn’t ask for anything better than that. So, I’d definitely order from them again.

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

I’ve bought a crap load of stuff from Woodcraft and haven’t had to use customer support.

It is nice to hear from fellow LJ’s when they recieve good service. Companies that provide good service should recieve cudos now and then.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

bloqbeta

Next day, after the plane incident I was having a really crappy day, thinking of what arguments and discussions i would have with the seller. Must stores now will find a way to take away any responsibility after a profit has been made. Yes, this post is for giving cudos, they deserve it.

Jeth, I’m in Guatemala city, just a couple of hours away from Tapachula, I am actually from El Salvador and are really blessed by living in this part of the world, even with all the conflicts going on. You have Peten real close which is a real treasure for the best tropical wood in the region. It is a shame that most of it is exported.

I am getting the best contacts with rainforest alliance with the best producers on certified forests for mahogany (caoba), cedro, Rosul or cocobolo, or tzalam for getting my hands on some of the best boards for export.

Is it easy to find good boards in tapachula?

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Another thumbs up for Woodcraft’s customer support. I have a mortiser that came with some defective chisels (one snapped auger bit and one out-of-square chisel) and they were extremely prompt in sending replacements.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

wow…I may have to revisit my sparsely equipped Woodcraft store when I buy tools. I do know the Wood River granite plate I bought, price was right, and they gave me the military discount. Turned out to be cheaper than amazon. Sharpening tools took on a whole new dimension for me. Razor sharp instead of just sharp.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

I bought a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw from woodcraft. It had an awful vibration. It was quite puzzling. Those guys let me switch out all kinds of parts from their floor model trying to isolate the problem. One guy offered to drive to my house to help and I live 45 miles away.

In the end, I took the bandsaw back and they gave me a new one which worked flawlessly. The hole thing was a big pain in the arse but woodcraft customer service was superb.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

Nothing but praise for the good people at my local WoodCraft store !! : )

View crank49's profile

crank49

+2 thumbs up for WoodCraft customer service from me.
Only problem I ever had with them was one new WoodRiver chisel in a set of six that had pits in the back.
Showed the manager and she handed me a brand new set, no questions asked.

I wish they had more American made products, but thats not all their fault, and their American made service is top notch.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

bloqbeta

With the replacement plane shipping confirmation, the customer service lady sent me a note that said, amongst other thing:

hank you for all your kind words, however Woodcrafts owner has always said…. “treat your customers as you would want to be treated”.

The very nice thing about it all is the company lets me handle issues and problems without restraint …. “I really get to treat the customer how I would want to be treated”

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

Woodcraft is great. I buy a ton of stuff there also. Have not had any problems with their stuff yet.

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com