Hitachi C12RSH Dual Compound Sliding Miter W/Laser Marker

Review by Ken90712 posted 06-19-2012 11:38 AM 8258 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi C12RSH Dual Compound Sliding Miter W/Laser Marker Hitachi C12RSH Dual Compound Sliding Miter W/Laser Marker No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been kicking around getting a 12 inch slider for some time. I have had my craftman 10 inch basic miter saw for amost 20 yrs. She has served me well but I wanted more x cutting capability instead of using the table saw for long planks.

I have had this saw for 2 weeks now and really gotten to get a feel for how she performs. I don’t give out 5 stars easily. I’m hard on my tools but I must say this is a great saw. I was surprised it came with a good quality carbide blade. I was like yea right, so I cut a bunch of purple heart and teak eight quarter. Cut like butter and no burning.

It a 2 different ways to lock the slider one of them is for zero wall space needed. The flip fence is a nice touch as well as solid. The laser can be adjusted to eiher side of your mark to what you eyes perefer. Dust collection is so/so but all miter saws kick alot of saw dust out so I couldnt see taking a star away for that.

I looked at the Bosh but for 800 vers 440… I’m really happy with this. Lowes just lowered the price recently.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#1 posted 06-19-2012 12:24 PM

Hey Ken, thanks for the review.
You have piqued my interest. These saws have seem to have dropped in price. I might need to reconsider.

I have a Dewalt 12 inch non-slider that I never use. Not sure why – it just does not seem that useful. I rough cut with a jig saw and then final cut on the table saw. But there is a limit to length on the table saw. It seems like a lot of people really use a miter saw for all kinds of things. But if it is less than 3 feet long – I use the table saw. I have cut molding for the house, but that is about it. And they are messy. I believe I might need to reconsider.

How wide a board can you cut with it – say 1 inch thick?

And Wow, does Hitachi have a lot of models with 12 inch blades.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#2 posted 06-19-2012 01:13 PM

Hey Steve, How you been buudy? Hope al is well.

I was like you, I kept my skill saw out to rough cut lumber into smaller peices then use the table saw. I got tired of my 10 miter saw not being able to cut most boards. Not very often do I have to cross cut a boatd wider than 12 inches so this saw is the answer for me.

One other thing I like that I didn’t mention it has a depth stop so I can make a quick dado w/o setting up the table saw by repeating cuts witht he slider. Of course I have more than one i would use the table saw.

Now that the table is done I’ll be starting a 10 foot gate made out of metal and wood. should be fun.

90 Degree Cross Cut 4-3/16”x12-1/4” or 4-11/16”x10-3/16”
45 Degree miter (L/R) 4-3/16”x8-5/8” or 4-11/16”x7-1/16”
45 Degree Bevel (L) 2-3/4”x12-1/4” or 2-15/16”x10-3/16”
Compound Cut 45×45 (L/L) 2-3/4”x8-5/8” or 2-15/16”x7-1/16”

5387 posts in 1986 days

#3 posted 06-19-2012 01:22 PM

I have the Chicago Electric 12” slider myself, and I must admit that I love having a slider. The extra capacity is a wonderful thing. HOWEVER, the added depth required by those rear oriented rails means they take up gobs of room in a small shop. Not a good thing… For that, among other reasons, that Hitachi is on my short list of must haves. I have looked into the Festool Kapex, mostly for drooling purposes, but let’s get real for a second. For the price of a decent cabinet saw I can get a Kapex? Not going there… Next down is that Bosch, I have heard VERY poor reviews on the quality of the articulating mechanism throwing cuts off, and you can get that for twice the cost of the Hitachi. Pass.. Then there is the Hitachi… Every one of their miter saws I have seen has been spot on…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View lew's profile

lew

#4 posted 06-19-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks for the great review, Ken!

I have one of their very early sliders. Takes up a lot of room. Looks like this solves that problem. Hope they have improved the table lock for cutting angles.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#5 posted 06-19-2012 02:21 PM

hey guys I miss types it cutting capacity. @ 90 it is

Cutting Capacity (Maximum) (Inches) 12.2812, 45 8.6,

I was tired when I got to work.

View JR_Dog's profile

JR_Dog

#6 posted 06-19-2012 03:34 PM

Great info; mostly for envy as my “Non-Sliding” grrrrrr 12” Compound Miter is only a year old and from what you said about how long your craftsman lasted I think I’ll have to wait until they have laser guides and laser cutter combo saws (sometime in far in the future) sigh....

Great look’n saw

View degoose's profile

degoose

#7 posted 06-19-2012 07:22 PM

Hey Ken, I have this Saw… a little dearer over the water… around $880 ….. when I bought mine there were over the grand but I got a good deal at just over 700…
That said… I use mine ALL the time… and the depth stop is real useful…
I also have a separate post and carriage set up on the TWC to accept the head unit from the Hitachi 12 so that I can cross cut 1300 mm or over 4 feet… handy for slabs…and not that hard to swap out…
Glad you are happy with your purchase… and thanks for the great review…

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Bobmedic's profile

Bobmedic

#8 posted 06-19-2012 07:23 PM

Great review and I will have to second everything you said. I have one. My wife actually gave me the green light to buy the Kapex. Then I started thinking smart and bought a Ridgid 4512 table saw and the Hitachi RSH 12 and still came under the 1300 dollar price tag of the Kapex. Dust collection is iffy but what miter saw’s dust collection isn’t. It does catch quite a lot of sawdust in the little bag. I had a 12” Ridgid slider that didn’t catch any. That dust bag was absolutely useless. There is no better saw out there for the money. I would put the Hitachi up against any miter saw(Yes, even the Kapex).

-- Save lives, ease suffering, reduce morbidity and mortality, stomp out pestilence and disease, postpone the inevitable, and fake compassion. The Paramedics Creed

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1457 posts in 2062 days

#9 posted 06-20-2012 04:01 PM

Great review, Ken. I have been thinking about this one myself. I have the Hitachi 12” fixed which I absolutely love. I have used a lot of miter saws and my Hitachi is hands down the best that I’ve tried. Ever so often I need the sliding action and if I decide to take the plunge and get one, this is my only choice. Thanks for the review!

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#10 posted 06-20-2012 06:14 PM

Ken,

That looks like ONE COOL SAW! 12” NICE!
I know you will really enjoy using it!
That’s quite a blade isn’t it?
Did it give you quite a “start” when you first turned it on?! LOL

Thank you.

View mrg's profile

mrg

#11 posted 07-07-2012 03:29 PM

This is a great saw for the money.

-- mrg

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

#12 posted 01-24-2013 04:58 PM

Ken (or anyone else who has this saw), have you found a way to hook up DC to the port on the saw? I can’t connect any hoses I have to it as it is the same size as the hose itself.

-- Matt, Illinois, http://www.reintroducing.com

View Jmcp's profile

Jmcp

#13 posted 10-01-2013 04:39 AM

Hi,

I know this is an old post but thought I would add my approval for this saw as I just received it last week and can’t believe how good it is, especially like others have said, the depth control has already proven itself a boon for trenching. I have also found the dust bag does capture a lot of dust, you just have to remember to empty it often as it is quite small. In saying that, I have just connected up my dewalt vacuum to it but not tested it properly yet.

My saw came bundled with a saw stand which was a bit time consuming to put together as the directions were a bit iffy but it should prove to be useful as I don’t currently have a work bench except an old black and decker workmate.

The hitachi is cheaper than the more popular brands here in the uk like dewalt, bosch and makita and that can make for a nervous purchase but this thing feels like it will outlast me.

The only negative I have about the saw is its weight, it really is a very heavy piece of equipment to lift and shift on your own.

Cheers, John

#14 posted 10-01-2013 08:33 PM

Thx John…Love this saw. I have mine on a flip cart with my Planer. Makes it easy. Enjoy!