Cuts great, manufacturing issues

Review by lumberjoe posted 06-18-2012 03:28 PM 1856 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Cuts great, manufacturing issues No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

To my suprise, my beautiful wife got me a sizable gift card to Woodcraft for fathers day. She gave it to me on Thursday because she also offered to keep an eye on the kids all weekend so I could spend a lot of time in the shop as she knows how much I enjoy it. Among other things, I picked up the Freud SD208 dado set. I have been meaning to get a dado set for some time, but have been procrastinating. I got that and the Leecraft zero clearance dado insert for my saw (which is awesome), among a host of other things.

The good
This set is complete. It comes with all the shims and spacers needed. While the shims seem to be of good qulaity, I also got a set of Veritas shims. They are color coded to make identification easier as I can see the stamped numbers wearing off of the Freud inserts. Also, the veritas shims have a 5/8” slot cut in them so they can be reoved/inserted with the blades/chippers still on the arbor. Highly recommended for the 15$

The set cuts very clean! Truth be told, I was planning on getting the Delta set and that may cut a littler better. Because I had the gift card, it narrowed my options a tad. I set the stack up to 3/4 to cut the ZCI as that is likely as wide as I will go. After that I made some test cuts in some oak and some oak veneered plywood. I was impressed. Although the chippers only have 2 blades, the cuts were clean and even. No sanding required at all. The blades leave VERY slight bat ears, but after cutting the plywood, I see why. Super clean edges with no tear out.

The case is well, a case and not a cardboard box. I kind of hate it when woodworkers complain about the cases tools come in. You are a woodworker! If you dn’t like it, build a better one. This one is very adequate and sturdy, just not the prettiest thing. The guide is super simple and tells you exactly what to use to get your desired width. It was also dead on. I set it up for 3/4, and I got exactly 3/4.

The bad
One of the blades was not machined very well. I did not notice at the time, but the arbor was NOT round. it was the first one I got on, and was a little tricky. The problem started when I went to take it off. It would NOT come off. I seriously thought I broke my arbor by over tightening. The blade would freely spin on the arbor, however it would not slide off. After some coaxing, I was able to get it off. I then inspected it really well. There as a sizable burr inside the arbor knock-out which I assume is an artifact from the coating. I cleaned it up and put it back on, it seems good now, however I also needed to clean up the burr that left on my arbor.

I know at a cost of 100.00, it’s not exactly a high end set. I was expecting more from Freud, Even at a lower price point, this is still not the diablo line. I do plan on keeping it, but was not excepting the level of aggravation encountered from trying to get it off the arbor without damage to the blade or the saw.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

1 comment so far

View klassenl's profile

klassenl

#1 posted 06-21-2012 03:19 AM

I have that same set and have the same “problems”. I didn’t find any poor machining, it just fits tight on the arbor. But it has to fit tight so the the dadoes are smooth on the bottom. I’ll take it, mostly because mine were 50% off when I bought them.

-- When questioned about using glue on a garbage bin I responded, "Wood working is about good technique and lots of glue........I have the glue part down."