Enlightening

Review by DannyBoy posted 03-27-2008 03:33 PM 1870 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Enlightening No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got this book in the mail yesterday after I had found it on amazon while looking for another book. I was able to read the introduction before I ordered and I was already impressed.

Sam Sherrill takes an ecological, economic, and just common sense approach to addressing the waste that our society generates by not treating felled trees of our urban forests as assets or inventory but as waste to be thrown away. I haven’t completed reading the book cover to cover yet, (I’m through the first two chapters and some heavy skimming) but I am seriously impressed with what I have read so far.

For instance, I was not aware that at the early part of this decade the United States threw away almost $2 billion in usable wood from our urban forest alone. I wish they would have dropped just a small portion of that on my door step; I’d be set for life!

Read wise, the book is very easy if you are used to reading an essay style. I’m not convinced the Sherrill has much practice as a book writer but he has obviously written some grants and essays aimed towards elected officials. Any timber jargon is clearly explained and doesn’t interrupt the flow of the chapter. Each chapter is broken down in headings and has a written introduction and conclusion. Very well done. (However, I’ll warn some of you that there are not too many pictures; what there is are useful and well thought, but just not many.)

~Danny Boy

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 03-27-2008 07:04 PM

Interesting looking book. Thanks for the review.

View Daren Nelson's profile

Daren Nelson

#2 posted 03-27-2008 10:06 PM

Thanks for putting that up there DB, more people should read it (probably, I don’t know for sure I have not). Yep, urban logging. Just for fun if anyone has 2 minutes Google search “Urban Logging” (web and image), funny what the #1 result it ;)
Oh Heck, I will just link it.

Web

Image

-- http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

View jm82435's profile

jm82435

#3 posted 03-27-2008 11:12 PM

We have a celebrity in our midst. #1 Google result; doesn’t get any better than that…

-- A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#4 posted 03-27-2008 11:54 PM

great writeup darren . agreed 100 % great post

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#5 posted 03-28-2008 09:52 AM

Thank you for posting this review.

View hobbylogger's profile

hobbylogger

#6 posted 03-29-2008 02:07 AM

You are a man after my own heart. I have been urban logging for about 5 yrs now, and there is nothing more rewarding. This is a subject that is very important to me and I would love to discuss it further. Do I do this on the blog page? I,m a little cumputer illiterate.

-- Daniel, Tumwater, Wa U.S.A.

#7 posted 03-29-2008 02:21 PM

This looks like an interesting read. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the review.

View Roz's profile

Roz

#8 posted 03-30-2008 10:59 AM

Sounds like a must read. In my experience here I have seen large piles of very old high quality timber burned by the US Army Corps of Engineers and others. I think it’s a crime, and incredibly foolish. Today even the cutoffs from timbering are used in our area for paper production and hard wood is particularly valued. But still there are brain surgeons burning it.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."