Bosch ROS10

Review by rasp posted 754 days ago 2887 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch ROS10 Bosch ROS10 Bosch ROS10 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this sander at Busy Bee Tools for 49.99 on sale. I thought that was a pretty good deal at the time, and I felt Bosch had a solid reputation.

I had bought this sander in late summer of 2009 before attending college. We had a few at the kitchen shop I worked in, and it was my favourite over the DeWalt sanders. They had about 15-20 DeWalt ROS’ in a milk crate for parts, but nobody ever spent any time to condense the broken pieces into working sanders, so it goes.

I have used this sander daily for about 16 months, and in the most recent 8 months, just off and on, like your average do it yourselfer. I really like the dust collecting canister on the back. Unlike some other sanders, this one actually traps a fair amount of dust. You can see dust shooting everywhere into the air as you sand, but the container fills up quite fast. It has a pleated filter which holds quite a bit of dust. Comfortable grip, and the on/off button is in just the right place. I used to have a Ridgid at my work station and I’d always turn it off by accident because of the location of the switch, quite annoying. I think Bosch could add about 2 or 3 feet to the cord though, sometimes I’m working on a piece and the cord is just too short, and I have to get an extension cord.

Although I am satisfied with my purchase on a whole, I am rather disappointed at the longevity of the hook and loop pad. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed the hooks had become quite worn, and certain brands of sandpaper disc would fly right off, and others would stay on.. not sure what that’s all about, so I considered replacing the pad. I guess that’s not so bad, after all the use (2-3 years) I’ve gotten out of the sander.

and so I went to Bosch parts website to look up a replacement pad, and there’s a few options. I was surprised and impressed, Bosch has a very extensive range of accessories for their tools. They have 4 different backing pads for the sander, ranging from “extra soft” to “hard for aggressive sanding of flat surfaces”, in both hook and loop and PSA. Well, I didn’t opt to buy these from America, couldn’t find a retailer in Canada… so I took a trip to Home Depot.

Boy, was I ever in for a disappointment. I thought because they carry Bosch tools they might carry accessories. I asked a fellow that worked there and he directed me towards Diablo brand pressure sensitive adhesive hook and loop pad. He says, just peel the back off, and stick it to your sander, and you’ll have new pad.

Well. I should have thought about that for a second. There’s no way a 5 dollar piece of velcro is going to fix my sander, and it didn’t. I stuck that pad on, and after sanding 1 board, it peeled right back off, full of sanding dust.

I think it’s worth it to stick with your brands accessories. They have a really nice vacuum hose that connects to the back of the sander that I would totally snatch up if they sold it at home depot.

I give this sander 4 out of 5 stars, for being a cheap, durable product I could actually rely on. I will definitely investigate another Bosch sander in the future, perhaps one of those 6” ones with the forward handle.

OR, if the stars align in my favour, I would spring for the MIRKA CEROS. For now though, and for what I have used this sander for (work and hobby) I would say the Bosch ROS10 has the biggest bang for it’s low buck.

View rasp's profile

rasp

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

Nice!
I’m getting a porter cable 390k…
I’ll review it soon!
Isn’t that canister filter a pain to clean?

-- My terrible signature...

View Stephen Fox's profile

Stephen Fox

90 posts in 1977 days

Having owned a couple of these and other orbital sanders I am generally pleased with this model bosch sander. All pads seem to wear out in time. Bosh replacement pads are a little less expensive but as stated above have to be special ordered from the seller. The sander is a little easier on the hands than my porter cable sander. The attached dust collector is impossible for my wife to change and is hard for me even. I recommend using a shop vac attachment for a cleaner environment and better sanding quality. Home Despot has a sale on them a few times a year.

-- Stephen NYS

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I have this sander and have been pleased with it. I mostly use it with a shop-vac hooked up to its suction port, I estimate about 90% of the dust is captured that way. If I had unlimited money, I’d buy a Festool but overall, this is a good little sander for its price.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Mike's profile

Mike

I’ve been meaning to write my own review but I’ll just put my comments on yours if you don’t mind. I really like this little sander. I’ve only had mine for maybe 2 or 3 months, but it’s been through several table projects and I have to say…it’s really nice. I admit, I went from a complete piece of junk pad sander that blew dust everywhere, making the entire shop a mess. It’s so bad that on nice days I’d take it and the project outside to sand to avoid the days of dust cleanup. The first time using it, I was amazed at how clean everything is as far as dust. The little canister really traps almost everything. I have a PC multi tool that uses hook and loop pad, and once you take the pad off you cant put it back on…with this Bosch I alternate a few different pads and they go right back on and stay there. Sounds like that may go away after some age as you found, but it’s nice to know that you can get a new backing plate from Bosch. One more thing about this sander, it’s vibration dampening is quite awesome. I’ve used it for probably 15 minute straight on table tops and don’t get any numbness in my hand and fingers, my old sander left your hand feeling like it was asleep after 2 or 3 minutes. Overall, I give this sander 5 stars, although I do realize It’s still fairly new. I like when someone like yourself writes a review after a year or so with a tool…it really lets you know what to expect. Thanks for reviewing.