Bosch 1617EVSPK: a fine museum piece

Review by foleyinmaine posted 06-13-2012 10:12 AM 3696 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch 1617EVSPK: a fine museum piece No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this router set about 2 months ago and it has performed as I expect any tool with Bosch’s name on it to perform: perfectly. What I didn’t expect, is just how beautifully finished this router is. This tool belongs in art museums to represent the epitome of modern industrial design. Everything about this router, including the case it comes in, suggests that the people who designed and built it cared about it, and that makes you care about it and the work you do with it. I haven’t felt this way about a tool since I bought my first set of fine Swiss chisels thirty years ago.
Last Friday I went to use my new PC dovetail jig and came to the realization that I needed an adapter to use the guide bushings with the Bosch router. I checked the web, and no one seemed to have this adapter in stock. I emailed Bosch service on Friday afternoon, and on Tuesday morning got a phone call from a Bosch service rep who apologized for my trouble and said that if I’d give her my address she would send the part out at no charge. She could have taken my order for an adapter, or told me who had one in stock, but instead, she realized that I was unable to use over $350 worth of tools because of a $10 adapter and sent one no charge. I think it’s not necessary to tell you how this service response reinforced my favorable opinion of Bosch. My only regret is that I didn’t wait for Bosch’s latest version of this router set that features the trigger in the handles and LEDs illuminating the workpiece at the bit.

View foleyinmaine's profile

foleyinmaine

View seriousturtle's profile

seriousturtle

93 posts in 2018 days

#1 posted 06-13-2012 12:18 PM

I don’t know about museum quality, but I have 2 of these sets and still love them. If there was a good way to collect dust off them, I would love to hear some ideas.

-- ~the turtle

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#2 posted 06-13-2012 12:33 PM

I’ve been using this exact tool for 3 years and love it!

View Triumph1's profile

Triumph1

#3 posted 06-13-2012 01:40 PM

I have been using my 1617EVSPK for over four years and love it. And because I love it I want to give you a heads up so you love it…it has one design flaw. The on/off switch is not a sealed switch. At some point in time you will go to turn on the router and it will not turn on. This is caused by sawdust getting into the switch and in-between the contacts. I was able to dismantle the top part of the router, pop the switch out, carefully separate the switch housing and then clean all the contacts. Boom…it fired right back up again. I have seen some people complain about it and get Bosch customer service involved…but all they will do is send you another un-sealed switch. If you plan to use it in a router table with a separate on/off switch assembly, meaning the router switch will always be on, just put some tape over the switch to try and keep dust out.

One thing I haven’t had the time to do is see if I can cross-reference the switch they use with a sealed unit. That would make this router bullet proof!

Enjoy!

-- Jeff , Illinois Please...can I stay in the basement a little longer, please!

View ClayandNancy's profile

ClayandNancy

#4 posted 06-13-2012 01:48 PM

I also have this rotor. I have done a lot of circle cuts with it using a plexiglass plate. Runs and cuts very smoothly. Love it

View foleyinmaine's profile

foleyinmaine

#5 posted 06-13-2012 01:56 PM

Jeff: Thanks for the heads-up on the switch. It would surprize me if Bosch allowed the switch problem to persist for over four years. We’ll see!

View Chris208's profile

Chris208

#6 posted 06-13-2012 02:10 PM

As I understand, the problem with the switch failing has been resolved in newer models of this motor.

I have the same set, and love it too!

View mikema's profile

mikema

#7 posted 06-13-2012 04:00 PM

Correct, I believe it was 2006/2007 that the models being made had the new switch, though some stores that had a good sized stock sold models like that for a year or two afterwards. On the very off chance you got one with the unsealed switch, there are two things you can do. 1. Call Bosch, and they will send you a new switch free of charge. 2. Clean out the switch when it gets full. Take care for the small parts within the switch, but it takes about 15minutes total to get your router back up and running.

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View vernonator's profile

vernonator

#8 posted 06-13-2012 09:04 PM

+1 on this kit, have one and love it, got the under table base for it and it is rocksolid performer.

View JSilverman's profile

JSilverman

#9 posted 06-13-2012 09:12 PM

I have one of these too- in addition to a 1611 (about 18 years old) and a colt… all three are very well engineered and manufactured routers- I like using all three.

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

#10 posted 06-13-2012 11:24 PM

Glad your situation is resolved, but, for future reference … it only takes a few minutes to make a new base for your router that can be made to directly accept the standard P.C. bushings.

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

1995 posts in 1919 days

#11 posted 06-13-2012 11:44 PM

Boy that stinks about the adapter. I had to search high and low to find one. Information about the adapter is not well documented by Bosch. What burns my bum is they sent you one free when I had to burn half a tank of gas roaming the streets looking for it.

I like the router kit and it has worked great for me.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#12 posted 06-14-2012 03:29 AM

I have one of these in my Veritas router table. I love it! I wonder if I could buy the plunge base for it by itself?

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Luke's profile

Luke

#13 posted 06-14-2012 11:10 PM

Love that kit!

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#14 posted 06-15-2012 03:42 PM

Nice review, wish I could give the porter cable 690 the same….One day I’ll need the bosch and buy it..:)

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#15 posted 06-15-2012 03:57 PM

Love that Bosch router combo. I don’t own one myself but I hear nothing but great things about it. Quality tool.