a lot of oil

Review by rookiewooder posted 760 days ago 4986 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
a lot of oil No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love my Steel City helical head planer. After reading many reviews on every portable planer, I went with Steel City. Reading some of the reviews on it, just about everyone said that it is was over protected with grease/oil.
I took off all my blades and soaked in mineral spirits overnight and then used a toothbrush to clean the cylinder itself. Even after soaking, cleaning I still get some oil residue 6 months later, but slowly going away. Just be patient and clean as best you can after a couple of uses. I get a lot on my chrome and just use 409 and a rag to clean it up.

View rookiewooder's profile

rookiewooder

I guess we’ll have to go online to see what the planer looks like and read the other reviews.
Thanks for the 409 tip !

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

Carburator cleaner could have done it in one shot.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I have owned that planer for about a year and a half, and ya..It was pretty well lubed up when I got it! It took a while before it stopped dripping and spitting..I kept a rag under the carriage when I would store it in case of drips. Except for that issue, I absolutely love my planer. It planes any lumber I put through it perfectly, handles tough to plane stuff like curly, and leaves very minimal planer marks that clean up easily with a little finish sanding. I have never had any issues with snipe..occasionally when I am dimensioning quickly and I take large bites (1/2 turn) I will get a little snipe, but I always stop a little short of the finished dimension and plane into the final size with smaller bites (1/8 turn) and the snipe goes away. I have planed a few hundred board feet..mostly Maple, Cherry, Walnut, and Red and White oak, and I am not even anywhere near needing to turn the inserts…still sharp and clean cutting! I have also planed glued up panels, and edge grain AND end grain cutting boards without a problem….

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248