So far..Great

Review by foleyinmaine posted 805 days ago 6065 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So far..Great So far..Great No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just finished assembling my new Ridgid R4512 table saw, and checking alignment with the elegant little Woodpecker saw gauge I purchased at the same time as the saw. Run-out on the blade was about .010”, but the run-out was a function of the blade, not the arbor’s alignment. The fence was easily adjusted, and I left it open beyond the blade about .003”. Although I have no operating experience yet with this saw, and therefore, can’t comment on its accuracy, repeatability or reliability over time, I can say that I am really impressed with the saw’s construction. In fact, I don’t see how this saw could have been built for its selling price ($449 at Home Depot). My estimate of cost for this saw if made in this country is about $1600. The saw is made totally of cast iron, steel and aluminum except for the dust hopper and a few small trim pieces, and the fit and finish are ,as far as I can see, perfect. The saw weighs in at 290+ pounds! It would be criminal if a saw that looks and feels this good turned out to be a dud.
I made two additions to the saw’s dust collection scheme to accommodate a 2.5” shop vacuum hose. A 4” galvanized elbow fits over the saw’s dust hopper outlet, and a 9“straight section brings the dust collection out from under the saw to the left or right. A Woodstock W1044 4” – 2.5” reducer (Amazon – $4.65) fits inside the galvanized pipe for connecting the shop vac. I secured all connections with sheet metal screws, and hung the assembly to the saw with a small hanger strap tucked inside a 4” hose clamp (see pix –the hanger is just behind the skirt and attached to the saw with the cap screw in the middle of the skirt). To easily clear out any wood that might fall through the throat plate, and also to prevent buildup of sawdust in the saw’s interior, I fitted the large inspection plate on the rear of the saw with hinges and a hasp. When I’m finished working with the saw I remove the vacuum hose from the reducer, open the inspection plate and clean out any residual sawdust. Total time: 2-3 min. This routine should extend motor life by allowing it to run cooler.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

Nice job on the write up… thanks for taking the time… I like your dust collection modifications… I have been seriously thinking of getting this saw to replace a Rigid bench top saw.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

I bought this saw about two months ago and it’s been great. Bathe entire experience was A+

-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1939 days

congrats on your new saw.

While unfamiliar with this model I have had a R4511 for several years and it has been a great saw, so I hope yours will be too!!

View Jeremy Fugarino's profile

Jeremy Fugarino

This saw cuts like butter! i purchased this very same saw in the winter and have had very good results. And for the price tag its a steal. I believe it wont be long till ridgid realizes what there selling it for and will jack the price up. And to be able to move it around with ease to save space is a huge plus for me.

-- " I love the smell of saw dust in the morning"

View wmlaveck's profile

wmlaveck

Foleyinmaine,
Be sure to register the saw with Ridgid. Ridgid power tools have a two year warranty. However, if you register the saw within 90 days, Ridgid will give you a free life time service agreement. Tools have to be purchased new at Home Depot, not reconditioned. The agreement includes wear and tear and on battery tools, batteries are covered for life.

-- If I ever turn up missing, check the garage.

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

I have the same saw and very pleased with it. Accurate, and the price was right. I am sure you will love it too.

View don1960's profile

don1960

@wmlaveck,

Maybe I got lucky or something, but I bought my R4512 from an outlet near Pittsburgh that sells reconditioned and blemished tools. (mostly Ridgid) Anyway, I was able to get the Lifetime Service agreement for it. Just rechecked the website and My account with Ridgid shows the LSA as active.

and to foleyinmaine, I think you will like the saw more every time you use it. My only other experience was with a Craftsman 9” aluminum top TS bought when I was just out of HS back in the dark ages. The R4512 is just scary accurate and rock steady. Screw the nickel test. Mine passed the Penny test. Ha, my old craftsman would have vibrated a 2” square block of wood off the table.

-- -- Don from PA

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I have the TS3660 and they look to be pretty much the same. You won’t be sorry you bought it. Keep a good coat of Johnson’s paste wax on the top. I wipe mine down with LPS from time to time. Lowes sells a PC for about the same money. The top is stamped metal…. Not near the saw that Ridgid is.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View jmanleisure's profile

jmanleisure

I have the same saw and really like it, very accurate right out of the box. Didn’t install the dust shoot on mine yet, since i wanted to start using before i figured out what i want to do with dust collection. Post more pics if you can. Also does anybody spray the inside of the table saw with silicone to help prevent dust buildup? Read this somewhere but haven’t tried it yet…

@cutworm, like the tip on using johnson paste wax on the top!

jmanleisure:
The reason people use Johnsons paste wax is because it contains no silicon; if the workpieces get silicon on them they will not finish correctly. I wonder if spraying silicon in the saw’s interior wouldn’t create a similar problem by migrating from the belt to the spindle to the saw blade. Sort of like a truck without mud flaps driving in the rain.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

This looks like a great saw. Currently, I’m looking for my first tablesaw and I’m torn between this one and the Porter Cable PCB270TS. Anyone have an opinion on which is better? The PC has a slightly bigger motor in it, but other than that is pretty much the same, only $100 more.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

foleyinmaine

HI, lab7654: The Ridgid R4512, PCB 270TS, Craftsman 21833 are essentially the same saw made in China by Tectronics. The only significant difference I found, and the reason why I chose Ridgid, is that the Ridgid-branded saw comes with a three year warrantee,and if you register it with them within 90 days of purchase you get a Lifetime Service Agreement that covers parts and labor for the life of the original owner. This is important because renewal parts for these saws are wickedly expensive. That motor from PC, for example, is $488.25. The motor is the only real problem with all of these Chinese saws, because they are Chinese motors that feature the mounting scheme as an integral part of the motor frame. In short, that forces you to buy a Chinese replacement motor at whatever price they want to charge.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

Thanks foleyinmaine, I was pretty much leaning towards the Ridgid anyway. I didn’t know about the warranty/replacement deal though, so that’s one more good reason for the choice. I try to steer away from Craftsman now, even though I don’t have many tools from them. My router table is a Craftsman, but it hasn’t seen much use, and I believe the reports of faulty tools.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View scottb's profile

scottb

Thanks for that insight foleyinmaine. I’m pretty much in the same boat as lab7654… every time I save up for a “good” saw, the money seems to find another place/need… so I’m thinking about giving up on the $1k +/- saw for one of these (currently using a $70 Delta that is WAY past its prime…) so anything would be a step up.

There were some good reviews for a 1.5 HP Delta in here, but I can’t even find it for sale online, and the closest thing to it is now going for over 3K – (that’s quite a price hike for an upgraded fence and two legs for the side table!

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

in would have liked to see the saw and the dust colection mods you made can you please add those photos

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech