Harbor Freight Scroll Saw

Review by Remedyman posted 06-07-2012 05:20 AM 10903 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Scroll Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It was suggested that I review this product so I figure what the heck, the least I can do is try to add to the community.

I have had the saw for about 2 weeks now. Overall, I think it is a great saw. I have cut plywood and pine with it. I haven’t had the chance to run any hardwood through it yet. It doesn’t cut fast but it is a scroll saw so it isn’t expected to. One thing I have to give it credit for, it isn’t very heavy but it doesn’t jump around my table either.

Pros: Quiet (until you are cutting wood), vacuum port (in front so kind of in the way). I guess I don’t have too many. It is a scroll saw and does what a scroll saw is supposed to do.

Cons: the thumbscrew that holds the foot wants to slide. I figure I am going to put some epoxy or silicon caulk on it. A dab should give it just enough grip to work fine. The dust port doesn’t work with either of my two shop vac hoses so it might not be a standard port. Of course it could be me. So who knows.

All in all, I like it. Especially since I got it for like half of the sale price.

I gave it four stars because there are some features I could see it having but it does exactly what it is supposed to do in my book. Also I would like to point out, that it looks EXACTLY like the Skil Scroll Saw I saw at Lowes without the side light. I expect it to be the same thing.

-- As long as our customers are happy, we have done a good job. Even if we are our own customer.

View Remedyman's profile

Remedyman

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 06-07-2012 04:18 PM

Looks just like the old dremmel model.

I wonder if the factories in Asia turn the old production tooling around and build the same thing off brand.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

#2 posted 06-07-2012 04:19 PM

“The dust port doesn’t work with either of my two shop vac hoses so it might not be a standard port. “

Duck tape is your friend!

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

#3 posted 06-07-2012 05:25 PM

I have an old Dremel scroll saw, and was looking at the HF when I found the Dremel on Craigslist… The HF is mostly stamped steel, including the table. The Dremel used a lot of cast parts, mostly aluminum castings, but solid castings no less, including the table… I shied away from the HF due to concerns it would vibrate a lot… Looks like I was wrong on that one!

I am half tempted to see if the table on my old Dremel would fit one of these HF machines if the Dremel dies…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#4 posted 06-07-2012 08:01 PM

Do you need a hex wrench or screwdriver to remove the blade from the blade holder? On mine, which is quite old, you need a hex wrench to remove the blade. This is a pain when you need to relocate the blade for another cut or multiple cuts.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#5 posted 06-07-2012 10:05 PM

I have this too. Its not bad for the price but for pinless blades its a real pain to change. There is a guy that machines his own aftermarket attachments for this saw and other brand models to replace the connectors making pinless blades very easy to attach and switch. I’ll find the link for you. Cost around $40

The dust blower I didn’t think was that great either so I bought a much better one from that guy as well although it took some finessing to get it to fit with this model.

Also, the cutter plate sits too deep and has way to large a hole so I replaced with a planed piece of hardware that sits level to the table. After these three adjustments it performs stellar and is still cheaper than high end models.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#6 posted 06-07-2012 11:21 PM

The guy I mentioned is Frank Pozsgai. Here is his website…

And here is a direct link to his retrofit parts. The part is actually only $30, #7 listed on this page. It also fits the Dremel model people mention above so yeah they may be similar.

He was very good about delivering promptly and I was impressed with his parts.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

#7 posted 06-08-2012 03:55 AM

I was just looking at the saw today at H.F.. I didn’t buy it because I wanted to get a review on it first. I can’t believe it just happened to be the very first review I open the page to. LOL! Thank you for your review. I have a reducer (from my H.F. dust collection system) that will fit that pesky little dust port! Thanks again!

-- It is fun to see where an imagination and two bored saws will get you.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#8 posted 06-08-2012 06:50 PM

You can buy the adopter for those oddball HF dust collection ports at HF. Hard to find, they put them in a strange area. The ossalating sander has the same silly size port. I bought one of those adopters and my rigid vac fits fine.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Remedyman's profile

Remedyman

#9 posted 06-09-2012 01:44 AM

I have to again thank the great people of lumberjocks for sharing their knowledge and experience to my advantage.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

615 posts in 1923 days

#10 posted 06-12-2012 12:40 AM

i have one of these saw, i think it does a good job especially for the price. FWIW its also very similar to the ryobi saw at home depot, as well as ones made by rikon, shop fox, jet, rockwell, sealy, atika, scheppach, wen, ledacraft, woodstar, and probably a dozen other names

View jacob34's profile

jacob34

#11 posted 06-17-2012 11:04 PM

I had one of these, I did not like it and sold it online, honestly more because I am not a big fan of scroll saws than because it didn’t work.

-- so a bear and a rabbit are sitting on a log

View Walt's profile

Walt

#12 posted 09-03-2013 04:17 AM

I have one of theses saws and the only thing I would like to change is the blade changing process. More expensive saws seem to have an easier way to change blades. Also the puffer could be stronger. For the price it does the work I need.

-- Walt Wilmington Delaware, http://waltlumley@yahoo.com