I don't give anything 5 stars, except this

Review by lumberjoe posted 06-05-2012 at 11:51 AM 3064 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I don't give anything 5 stars, except this No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you only own one drill/driver in your entire life, this should be and could be the one. There is no better drill, in my opinion than the magnum. This drill will tear your arm off before it gives up, and has warning labels as such. These warnings should not be taken lightly. It is also possible to delicately drive screws without over torquing. The variable speed is extremely responsive and easy to control.

highlights – Keyed Jacobs chuck. This is tough, has no discernible run-out like a good jacobs chuck should. Keyless chucks simply are not up to to the task this drill was designed for. – Aluminum construction with magnesium alloy gear case, and a stacked construction to make many parts of the drill serviceable without taking the whole thing apart.
- Detachable cord – reversible – Variable speed controlled by the trigger. The trigger is also extra long making it easy to control.

Simply put this thing is a beast. Wood, metal, concrete – it doesn’t matter. Many examples of this drill are over 20 years old being heavily used in a construction/industrial setting and still kicking. This is nearly identical to the “old” models. How do I know? I have both.The “old” one is my dads that was used heavily in a machine shop for 24 years. It performs and sounds exactly as my 2 year old one does. I will never even consider another brand or type of drill. I use this a lot in wood and metal, as well as driving screws. It’s heavy but not unreasonably so. It is extremely nose heavy so one handed operation is not going to work – which is good because this should never be used with one hand.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#1 posted 06-05-2012 at 12:59 PM

A quick comment, you may also see an 8amp version of this drill. It is cheaper but I would not recommend it. The 5.5 amp is powerful enough and built like a tank. The 8 amp (model number starts with 0299) is not the same as this one at all.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

#2 posted 06-05-2012 at 04:28 PM

Good to hear that the quality is still there : )

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2072 days

#3 posted 06-05-2012 at 05:09 PM

I have this drill. It is awesome.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 06-05-2012 at 06:51 PM

I have the Milwaukee sheet rock / deck screw driver and love it… Easy to set the depth the fastener is driven to and the thing takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’

corded drills and drivers, hole hawgs and sawz all are the products where Milwaukee really shines. Their routers get pretty good marks as well, but I’ve never used one.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Jimbo4's profile

Jimbo4

#5 posted 06-05-2012 at 07:01 PM

You’re right about tearing your arm off. Had a minor wrist sprain for not paying attention!

-- BELT SANDER: Used for making rectangular gouges in wood.

View IrreverentJack's profile

IrreverentJack

#6 posted 06-05-2012 at 07:21 PM

I’ve had this drill for 25 years. The insulation on the detachable cord cracked and degraded in the last few years. Replaced the cord so it’s good for another 25 years. -Jack

112030 posts in 2214 days

#7 posted 06-05-2012 at 07:26 PM

I agree this drill is a tough powerful drill I’ve had mine for 20 years. They are so powerful I’ve seen a article in Fine Home building were they used this drill and a ladder to make a dry wall lift. Thanks for the review .

#8 posted 06-06-2012 at 02:18 AM

Nice tool. I have to agree great drill..

View luthierchris's profile

luthierchris

#9 posted 06-06-2012 at 07:31 PM

Agree…..great tool

Chris

View buckeyetd's profile

buckeyetd

#10 posted 06-08-2012 at 07:11 AM

I own a Miwaukee hammer drill and it’s been running maintenance free for over 2 decades. Hands down the best tool I’ve ever owned. Tore up a crap load of bits in some angry concrete but it’s never failed to do the job it was intended to do.

-- http://www.gulfcoastchairs.com

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#11 posted 06-08-2012 at 11:53 AM

I also have one of these. They will tear your hand off, if you let them. Outstanding drill that slows down for no man.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

#12 posted 06-08-2012 at 11:55 AM

I have an old one. I did get a new hammer drill version because I was drilling holes in 50 year old cement and it wasn’t going well.

The old one is a real keeper.

-- David in Damascus, MD

View devann's profile

devann

#13 posted 06-09-2012 at 01:16 PM

Yes, I agree. It is a nice drill and the price makes them a good value. I’ve had two of them over the last 30 years. The first one was stolen in a burglary and an employee killed the last one. I did get a couple years use out of the last one. It died because I ask too much of it. It turns out you cannot use it with a 6” hole saw cutting hundreds of holes in an eight hour period. I had to buy a right angle drill to finish the hole saw job.

Can’t say as much for the hammer drill version. My brother used to buy a new one very year. They won’t hold up to continuous use drilling holes in concrete. He did that for about 3/4 years before I gave him my old hammer drill that used SDS style drill bits. IMO it was more about the type of concrete bits. The ones that fit a keyed chuck run hotter and just don’t cut as well as the SDS or spline chucked bits.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View OhhCrap's profile

OhhCrap

#14 posted 06-09-2012 at 04:57 PM

One can never go wrong with Milwaukee. Still running my Sawzall, purchased in 1981, still going strong despite the abuse, same with the dry wall gun. 25 year old Router, still runs like a champ.

-- Quality: There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price are this man’s lawful prey.

View rasp's profile

rasp

#15 posted 06-10-2012 at 07:23 AM

I have the cheaper 8 amp version, it works fine. If it gives up in the 5 year warranty period I guess I’ll have to upgrade