Klingspor hook and loop sandpaper - Great value and great paper

Review by lumberjoe posted 06-05-2012 01:29 PM 3637 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Klingspor hook and loop sandpaper - Great value and great paper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I have been doing a lot of projects lately, I got tired of running out of sandpaper when I needed it. I went to my local woodcraft to buy some bulk packs. I saw the Klingspor brand at a pretty god price for a box of 25 (around 11.00 for 5” hook and loop) and decided to take a chance. I previously used the Diablo hook and loop paper with a moderate level of satisfaction. I run my sander attached to a vacuum to keep the dust down and keep the paper somewhat clean. The Freud paper’s abrasive side tends to last a long time, but the hook and loop backing is crap. I can maybe get 3 to 4 removal and re-applications before it fails to stick anymore, and I blow off the sander and the paper with high pressure air before every application.

The Klingspor paper is awesome and unless someone can point me in another direction, I won’t be using anything else. The abrasive also lasts a very long time. It cuts very smooth. More impressive is the holding power of the hook and loop backing. It takes two hands to remove this from the sanding pad. It still holds exceptionally well even long after the abrasive side is worn out. It produces very smooth finishes and does not require a lot of downward pressure on the ROS to remove material. I really like that I can take it easy on the sander and reduce the chances of scratch marks by not applying so much pressure that the random orbit cannot do it’s thing. It is also not overly aggressive as I find the Freud paper to be. The Freud 80 grit behaves more like 50 and if you are not careful will dig deep enough to warrant another trip through the planer. I’ve also found the Freud 220 grit, when fresh out of the package, behaves a lot more like 150.

The Klingspor 80 grit has just enough bite to erase the nasty planer marks that my saw mills planer leaves without gouging into the wood and leaving cups.

Also the Klingspor is available in a wide range of grits. From 60 to 400 at my local woodcraft, and I have a box of each one.

I am extremely satisfied with this paper and would recommend it to anyone.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

View Bob817's profile

Bob817

#1 posted 06-05-2012 01:44 PM

Yes they are Awsome been using them for quite a while now, some of there other stuff is a little pricey compared to other sites though but the sandpaper is reasonable and well made. thankyou for sharing that review Joe

-- ~ Bob ~ Newton, N.H.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 06-05-2012 03:27 PM

Joe:
I caught a review somewhere on sandpaper, and they said that Klingspor was by far the best. So I went out and bought eight 25 packs of various 5” grits and I am also a convert. The stuff just does not give up. Absolutely great on a ROS. I tried the Diablo, that tiny hole pattern looked great until you realize that most of the dust is coming out and not being picked up since the holes, although many, seem to be too small. I’ve noticed that Diablo just hangs in my local HD, and now has a lot of dust on the packages.
Klingspor it is!!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#3 posted 06-05-2012 03:39 PM

I also agree the “universal” hole pattern on the diablo paper sucks. I usually enlarge the correct holes to match my sanders pattern. I’m glad to hear I am not the only one who likes the Klingspor. My experience with ROS paper has been limited to the Diablo, Norton, and 3M. I was not at all happy with the Norton or 3M, the diablo was acceptable, but very expensive (more than 1$ per sheet). The Klingsopr stuff has proven to be a top performer. I have a lot of it piled up now (14 boxes) and when it runs out, I will be getting more.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Howie's profile

Howie

#4 posted 06-05-2012 04:18 PM

Been using their sandpaper for several years. Good value. Use their ROS 5” and the 3” for my drum sander.

-- Life is good.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#5 posted 06-06-2012 10:49 AM

you can order from klingspor woodworking shop in the carolinas. they have great deals on huge boxes of sandpaper. I have used nothing else in 20+ yrs. great stuff

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View jomem's profile

jomem

#6 posted 06-06-2012 03:08 PM

I agree, this paper is awesome. I noticed the brand name on my last pack of paper for my surface sander & did some investigating & found thw home web site. It is all that I buy for my ROS. They also paper a awesome paper that I believe they call the “wood turners dream” I use it on the lathe to sand my bowls down. It last 10x longer than any other paper that I have used. I will buy no other sandpaper.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#7 posted 06-11-2012 01:48 AM

They have some good sales on the web. I went in their store at Hickory NC a while back. Great experience. Some hard core woodworkers in there. Retirees from the furniture factories. They had a piece of lumber passing it around trying to identify it. Lots of sandpaper and hardware.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

#8 posted 03-22-2013 09:04 PM

woodworkingshop.com
50 count boxes for around $15.
Works great, abrasives will work for about 45 minutes of sanding.
And hey, the hole patterns even align!
I have tried dewalt, norton, norton 3x, gator, and freud. I think the paper is a little heavier on the freud disks, but the “one size fits none” hole pattern ruins dust collection efforts.
Overall, I like Klingspor best.
Even if you only ordered two boxes of 50 at a time, that’s just $.38 per disk including shipping.

Nice review.

View macgee's profile

macgee

#9 posted 12-14-2013 06:21 PM

I know I’m late to the thread but hoping someone can give some advice after having used it over the years. Which version of Klingspor paper are you using? Open-coat aluminum oxide (beige) or the heavy stearate version (burnt red color).

I’ve used the beige version over the years but never the burnt red version and wondering what is preferred for finishing?

I work mostly with wood and have the Festool 6”/9 hole sander.

Do you guys still recommend Klingspor for the price/performance compared to others?

Thanks