Turds That Take a Surprising Polish

Review by Ripthorn posted 816 days ago 5384 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Turds That Take a Surprising Polish No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I am working on my workbench that will be made of doug fir. I started making the mortises which I hogged out with a Forstner bit and then I reached for my Narex bench chisels to clean them up. All three of the Narex chisels I used got dinged up blades rather quickly. Not wanting to do any more damage to them (which I probably just didn’t have set up for chopping out corners), I bought this cheap set from Harbor Freight knowing that they had a high likelihood of being total garbage, but in the off chance that they might make decent basher chisels.

I used the 1 1/2” chisel after flattening the back and sharpening it up well. I used the free hand method where you actually rock the chisel slightly front to back instead of doing a secondary bevel. After a good sharpening, I went to town and really wailed on them. After chopping out twice what one of my Narex chisels was able to do, I inspected the blade and it showed no knicks or dings. I continued one, going much faster now. I did have to touch it up a couple times, as the mortises are 2 1/2” deep and this doug fir is heavy and dense (very close growth rings).

I sharpened up the rest of them and they have cut well in test cuts. Now, these are not top of the line chisels, nor are they middle of the line. However, they have done everything I have asked and them some. They were worth the $7 just to get the mortises cut. Now, they do have several drawbacks, including:

- Two of the blades had little hollows near the tip of the blade on the back
- Grinding is really rough (REALLY), with only two of them flat enough to get the backs perfectly flat in what I decided was an acceptable amount of effort
- The handles are an abomination; uncomfortable, off center, crooked, and just really poorly made (I know, it was a $7 set, I’m not saying this was contrary to my expectations)

However, at the end of the day, performance is king and these guys have held up quite well. These make a diamond in the rough look like a finished product, but I might call these a cool looking agate in the rough. So the bottom line is if you need a good set of bashers to keep your good chisels for paring or other finer tasks, get these and give them a whirl.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1397 posts in 2099 days

thanks for the review. just curious – what was the final bevel angle at the edge on these and the narex?

Ripthorn

The Narex had a 25 degree primary with 30 degree secondary. On these, I didn’t measure, though they went from roughly 25 to roughly 30, maybe up to 35 degrees, though not sure.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1397 posts in 2099 days

interesting. thats pretty surprising then, since the narex usually get very good reviews.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

Their ‘Windsor Design’ turning chisels are good as well. I picked up the HSS six-piece set on sale, plus 20% off coupon, plus another 15% off because they only had an opened box left, for a total of $29 including tax.

View Roger's profile (online now)

Thnx for the review. HF does have a jewel here n there.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Ripthorn

AaronK, I’m not saying the Narex are bad, but I probably pounded them more than I should. These ones, however, will take one heck of a beating, at least in my case.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Thanks for the review, it may be worth looking into.

View Tomj's profile

Tomj

I have these myself and I would say your review was right on the money.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

Another HF gem…... I luv it.

Thx for the review.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

I got a HF 6×48 belt/disc sander about a month ago for $250 and I’m happy with it so far. Thanks for the tip.

helluvawreck

View 47phord's profile

47phord

I have this set of chisels as well. The reason you can wail on them is because they are made out of some VERY soft steel; it makes them easy to sharpen, but they don’t hold an edge so well and if you put too much lateral pressure on them (especially the 1/4” chisel) you can actutally bend them. But, as Ripthorn said, they are great for hogging out mortises, which is all I use mine for as well.

View 12strings's profile

12strings

I got this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-chisel-set-42429.html after reading the reviews on the harborfrieght website…these got much better reviews than the wooden handled set…They have worked very well for me.

-- I'm strictly hand-tool only...unless the power tool is faster and easier!

112018 posts in 2211 days