Excellent clamp for the $$$

Review by RussellAP posted 06-02-2012 10:34 PM 3434 views 0 times favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent clamp for the $$$ No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Woodworker rules:
1. You can’t have too many clamps.
2. If you have too many clamps, see rule one.

I know how some of you feel about HF and Pittsburgh tools, but I gotta say that these clamps are wonderful.
They come in just the right sizes for what I need and they clamp tight and don’t scar the work.

I tried a couple each last time I went to HF 2 – 6”, 2 – 12”, and 2 – 36” and just now I ordered 4 more of the 6”
and 4 12”. Total cost with shipping $36.

You just can’t beat that price on an all metal cushioned clamp.

I will say, they are not for one handed use like a ratchet clap, but with a little forethought you can have it adjusted to what you need.

Sorry about the miss-label of the clamp, I have no idea where that ratchet clamp title came from.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#1 posted 06-02-2012 10:55 PM

Have several myself. Work just fine. While they are not for heavy duty clamping, they are great for the price.

#2 posted 06-02-2012 10:56 PM

The say they are quick release, but I would suspect that if you quick release them they’d wear out pretty quick. I prefer to unscrew them. The ratchet assembly will last longer that way.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#3 posted 06-02-2012 11:27 PM

The one pictured IS NOT a ratcheting bar clamp/spreader. This is a Pittsburgh F style bar clamp. These are awesome and I have about 2 dozen. The product the description of this review is for is for the absolute worst waste of money ever made. I think they have been reviewed before so I won’t get in to it, Stay FAR away from the HF ratcheting bar clamp/spreader. If they don’t break on the first use, rest assured they will break on the second. They also have the clamping strength of a wet noodle.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

#4 posted 06-02-2012 11:55 PM

Lumberjoe, I meant the serrations on the end of the clamp will wear out if you use the quick release.

5387 posts in 1985 days

#5 posted 06-03-2012 12:43 AM

I have these same clamps in 6”, and 36”, and the older models in 6, 12, and 24. I originally thought I would like the older ones with the wooden handles better. I find I reach for the plastic handled ones more often when I have a choice. The threaded part seems better made.

Not sure what ShaneA means by heavy duty clamping. They have handled anything I have been willing to throw at them…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#6 posted 06-03-2012 01:20 AM

They have flex to them at heavy tension that Bessey or Jorgensons dont have. They cannot exert the force of a higher end clamp, but I have a dozen or two including the wooden handled ones, and will get more sometime. They are what they are, good value clamp, but not as heavy duty as more spendy models.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

1923 posts in 943 days

#7 posted 06-03-2012 01:42 AM

I’m in agreement with all, a very good clamp for the money. Some flex like stated above, but with enough of them working together, plenty good enough for most glue ups. I’ve used then recently on a set of trestle table legs, 4” X 4” made from 6/4 stock, and I was pleased with the results.
I have a hard time justifying the premium price of the brand name clamps. Maybe I’m just cheap, but happy with my tools.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#8 posted 06-03-2012 02:52 AM

I love these clamps, as far as flex goes I have dented wood with them by over tightening them, not sure why you would want to put more force on something than that.

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#9 posted 06-03-2012 12:09 PM

Is this review for the F style clamp show, or this (ratcheting clamp):

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

#10 posted 06-03-2012 01:04 PM

SirFatty,- I included a picture of the clamp I’m reviewing. The picture above is of a similarly priced clamp but it’s a POS. I have several of them.

#11 posted 06-03-2012 02:59 PM

Your pictured clamp IS NOT the “ratchet bar clamp spreader” .

SirFatty has the correct picture for the description you have.
Your pictured clamp is just a regular “F” clamp.
Your 5 star review is crediting the wrong product and will mislead others into buying the POS ones.
This guy did a review on the POS clamp / spreaders and was way to generous with a 4 star review.

#12 posted 06-03-2012 03:15 PM

Ok, you’re right. I have no idea where that title came from. I selected HF and must have hit the wrong clamp in the drop down. It’s fixed now.

#13 posted 06-03-2012 03:37 PM

LOL , Russ .
Now I can agree with your review on the F clamps as I have several and if I happen into their store and they’re on sale , I get a few more : )
I found that a couple drops of oil into the “pivot” part ,aids the functionality of the clamp. A few have bound up on me prior to doing that.
Have a great day , Russ : )

#14 posted 06-03-2012 03:41 PM

Dusty, I thought I was going insane for a minute. I never read the titles on my own posting.

#15 posted 06-03-2012 04:00 PM

Hahahaaha…going insane would be a very short trip for me , Russ : )