Porter Cable 1/2" Corded Drill

Review by DawsonWoodworking posted 789 days ago 2628 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 1/2" Corded Drill No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I regret I dont have a picture or model number for this tool. The image is a stock photo. It was a standard issue 1/2” corded drill by Porter-Cable. I was very unhappy with this product. It only lasted one job!, the swith in the trigger failed after minimal use on the first job (I was finishing a basement), rendering it inoperable. It was still under warranty, but due to lack of time, I had to keep working so I just bought a DeWalt drill from Home Depot to replace it. I’ve seen better results from tools from Harbor Freight. I know DeWalt and PC are corporate siblings, but PC is dropping the ball on general quality. (PC is always on clearance at Lowe’s). For small hand tools, I sticking with DeWalt

Hopefully, my experience was a fluke, but it soured me to Porter Cable. I have two PC routers that are great (the 3 1/4 HP and 2 HP multibase version) I willl review these soon. But I am afraid that PC has catered too much to the DIYer and not professionals in their recent offerings.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2557 posts in 2035 days

Why give it 5 stars if it was so bad??

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View abie's profile

abie

Too Bad they are both made by the same company… In china..
Check out PC and Dewalt and Delta and Stanley and Black and Decker,Devilbis, Bostich . and. and. and….....???
Large Conglomerates Dominate the Power tool market..
Check it out..

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

lumberjoe

For a non-hammer drill, I don’t believe you can do any better than the Milwaukee magnum. I’m not sure how much the PC is, but the magnum is a very easy to swallow 140$. My father has used his in an industrial setting for over 25 years with no maintenance other than a cord replacement. My 2 year old model looks identical in every way.

DawsonWoodworking

I know of Milwaukee tools, but haven’t used them much personally. Looks like time to check them out.

The 5 stars was an error, the baby started crying right as I was trying to finish up my comments and I hastily posted it – oops. Should be 0 stars in my opinion.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Joe has it right. For the real he-man drilling, like hogging through concrete, sending a large Forstner bit through multible 2X4’s, or any other heavy duty job, Milwaukee Magnum, (used to be called the Holeshooter), is the ONLY way to go. They have a warning on the tool, how it can be stronger than you. Take it seriously…
It is stronger than you think. More than once, mine has gotten away from me when I hit a rock or rebar in concrete, it was torn out of my hands, and then you have to back up, and just let it wind up the cord until it unplugs itself. Teaches you to not use that little “keep on” latch.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

lumberjoe

I had a similar situation when drilling though the side of my house to run some cable. The 3/8” bit got wrapped up in some insulation and despite having both hands on the drill (one on the trigger and one on the handle) it easily got away from me, and heeding my dads warning years ago when I borrowed his, I did not put up a fight and just backed away. He actually has broken a wrist drilling out a stuck tap in a printing press. Do not underestimate this drill

Paul, you are correct, his old one does say “Magnum holeshooter” on it.

I only use the trigger lock when mixing thinset or mortar

DawsonWoodworking

I haven’t used the Hole Shooter/Magnum drill, but I have used the Hole Hawg drill, that is different class though.

The PC I had was a $60 P.O.S. I should’ve forked out the $160 instead of $60 for a busted PC and $70 to replace it with a DeWalt.

While in high school, I worked on a framing crew building houses. I used the Hole Hawg a few times, that sucked. Felt like a broke my wrist a few times. I decided it was more fun to build furniture in an enclosed area, versus hammering boards together in the elements, perched precariously on a roof’s edge.

Anyone have experience with Milwaukee’s cordless drills?

lumberjoe

Yup, I love my M18 Fuel lithium. Also a beast and never lets me down. I am a little biased though as far as drills/drivers go. I think my father would disown me if I got anything that wasn’t Milwaukee (although I have had some craftsman cordless stuff).

In my early days of IT, I used to pull cable. We used the hole hawg to drill through floors/ceilings. That is a different class of drill, but I felt a lot more in control and safer based on the way it was designed. I bet the magnum has close to the same power, but in a pistol grip format.