Makita 10" Sliding Miter Saw

Review by DawsonWoodworking posted 05-30-2012 05:14 AM 6208 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita 10" Sliding Miter Saw Makita 10" Sliding Miter Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have used this saw for a little over a year now, I have completed a few projects with it, but it doesn’t see daily service. I have used Dewalt, Hitachi, Ryobi, Porter Cable Saws previously.

After reading several reviews, I was choosing between the Bosch, Makita & Festool,

Accuracy is very good. Weight is very good, Ease of use is pretty good.

The blade brake seems to be wearing out, very prematurely in my opinion. This saw doesn’t see heavy use, so I wouldn’t expect to this to wear out yet. Occasionally the blade brake won’t engage until a second or two after the trigger is released.

There was some plastic part near the handle that was part of the retracting blade guard. Somehow it kept interfering with the retracting blade guard and preventing the saw from being lowered into the cut. I kept having to push the retracting guard to miss this little piece to lower the blade into the cut. So I gave up and just removed the little plastic part. See foto. – Sorry I don’t have a pic of the little part, it was just located just above the blade spin direction arrow in the close up pic

The factory blade is very good, right out of the box. I have resharpened it once now. Its depth of cut capacity is as good as a standard 12” saw. Once you learn how the miter angle lock works it is easy to use and accurate.

Overall, I recommend this saw, and I would buy it again. I give it 8.5 out of 10 points. If money wasn’t an issue, I would choose the Festool, but I think I would prefer two of these Makita’s to one Festool.

-- Salt Lake City, UT My goal is to live forever - so far, so good.

View DawsonWoodworking's profile

DawsonWoodworking

View dpop24's profile

dpop24

#1 posted 05-31-2012 06:59 AM

Nice review. That saw is on my short list for when I buy a slider. What is the max width board you can cut with it?

-- If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why

View ward63's profile

ward63

#2 posted 05-31-2012 01:26 PM

The DXT models in Japan have the slides in front of the fence like the Festool and can only be locked at O°, 15°, 22.5°, 30°, and 45°. Anything in between, your out of luck. The prices here for the 7 1/4” model are comparable to the Festool stateside! The 10” models are even more expensive.
I’ve been dreaming of having a 10” Bosch myself after comparing them to the Makita or Hitachi SCMS’s here.
Thank you for the great review!!!

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

#3 posted 05-31-2012 11:49 PM

Dawson,

I have a Makita sliding miter that I have been using for 15 years or more. I bought mine when they first came out with this design. It has held up very well. It is used 5 days a week for brief stints each day. It is the only power tool I ever found that you could use straight out of the box. It was ready to go when I got it, and except for blowing dust out of the indents once a week or so it has stayed accurate and true. Yes, it does take a while for the brake to kick in, but it is under the blade guard and I have never thought of this as a problem. This and my Delta Unisaw go on year after year and have become my “old reliables.” Though there are design features in the Bosh that I like better than the Makita sliders I would have to reward the company that made a good solid tool with a repeat sale if I ever had to replace it. Thanks for your review…nice job.

-- Big Al in IN

View DawsonWoodworking's profile

DawsonWoodworking

#4 posted 06-01-2012 05:22 AM

dpop,
Now you are going to make me think, I know I can up 12” at 90 degrees, I am going to verify the cutting width at 45 deg and 60 deg tomorrow.

Ward, holy schnikey, stuff is pricey in the land of the rising sun!
Which style of Bosch do you want, the sliding rails or articulating arm? One of fellow woodworkers here in SLC has the articulating arm style. He likes the smaller footprint of the machine, but overall would stick with the sliding rail style. I will have to get more info from him.

Boxguy, normally, the blade brake will engage as soon as I release the trigger, but sometime it hesitates. That is what bugs me about it.

Thanks to all for your comments.

-- Salt Lake City, UT My goal is to live forever - so far, so good.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2034 days

#5 posted 06-02-2012 10:42 AM

I have the Makita 1016ls and it has been a very good miter saw. I haven’t really paid much attention to the blade brake, so mine must be working okay.

Mine sees fairly light use as I am just a weekend hobbyist, but I really like the cut capabilities of this saw. I can cut up to 12” width at 90 and up to a 4×4 dimensional lumber for DIY stuff.

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

#6 posted 06-20-2012 08:17 AM

The review title has Makita LS1013L but the picture is a Makita LS1016L so which one are you reviewing?

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself