The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

Review by Daris posted 05-29-2012 07:01 PM 2700 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book (Popular Woodworking)

I don’t believe in reviewing or giving opinions on woodworking books unless you can legitimately say you’ve built at least a couple of items from the book.  I’ve completed the end tables in this book, and currently I’m working on the framed mirror project.  Now that I have presented my only credentials, and gotten that out-of-the-way; I have to say that I really enjoyed this book!  If you’re newer to the Kreg Jig you’ll definitely enjoy it!

Danny Proulx is the author of this book and he has done a great job assembling real world projects.  As a new Kreg Jig owner it was great to find a list of projects that I could pick from using the jig that would teach me how to properly use the tool.  Not only did it show how to use the tool, it showed ways to use it that I would have never thought possible.  One example was to edge join boards without glue up, no biscuits, or any dowels.  Using pocket holes worked great, and it will definitely be a trick that I use in the future. The author includes an index and a list of suppliers in the book.  Which is always a big help when building projects from a book.

The book includes 11 projects that you can build:

- Sofa or Hall Table
- Framed Mirror
- Pendulum Wall Clock
- Child’s Wall Clock

My only criticism is that I believe the author prefers the style of showing some of the Kreg pocket holes, and then finishing them with inserts of a different style of wood to accent the piece.  It may have been the authors motive to simply demonstrate that it’s an option, but for the life of me I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer that style of finishing.

If you’re interested in checking this book out; Amazon has it for a very reasonable price.  I’ll include a clickable link at the bottom of this article if you want to see more about it. Also you can check out more about this book and review over at woodlogger.com

The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book (Popular Woodworking)

-- Daris, Indianapolis, http://www.woodlogger.com

View Daris's profile

Daris

View meikou's profile

meikou

#1 posted 05-29-2012 11:25 PM

It’s quite a good book. I have most of Danny’s books and he’s sorely missed.

View Lifesaver2000's profile

Lifesaver2000

#2 posted 05-30-2012 05:23 AM

I just ordered my first Kreg jig today so I may have to check this out.

View Bobmedic's profile

Bobmedic

#3 posted 06-20-2012 04:31 AM

I attached the top of my sofa table to the aprons with pocket screws and used walnut plugs for the holes. The top was walnut and the aprons are ambrosia maple. The idea of using contrasting wood is to not try to hide the hole but use them as an accent feature. If I would have used maple plugs it would have looked like I was trying to hide them and did a poor job of it. The maple plugs wouldn’t match the ambrosia maple aprons and they would be cross grain anyways. So if you use a different species it looks like you meant for it to look that way. Here it is. With the other dowels being walnut on the bottom shelf and in the ends of the table I think the walnut plugs add to the charm of the piece. This is just my opinion, I am posting this to show why someone would want to use different species plugs.

-- Save lives, ease suffering, reduce morbidity and mortality, stomp out pestilence and disease, postpone the inevitable, and fake compassion. The Paramedics Creed