Steel City 6" Industrial Parallelogram Jointer

Review by Greg3G posted 2218 days ago 5282 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City 6" Industrial Parallelogram Jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this at the March Woodworking Show in Chantilly, VA. I had been looking for a jointer for some time. At one point this was listed for $999 but since they have decided to drop this from their line, I picked it up for $499 with an extra set of knives thrown in the deal.

The equipment was picked up at the show (Skarie was the distributer) and came in two boxes. One is the cabinet the other the jointer bed assembly. The boxes showed no damage so I felt fairly certain that everything was in good shape.

We (my brother Adrian and I) unboxed the base cabinet box which contained all the hardware and instructions. The instructions were pretty well written and had good illistrations. We set to putting it together. Everything went pretty smoothly … until.

Once we had all the base assembled it was time to attach the jonter to the cabinet. The first 3 mounting bolts went in easily, the last one however, was a bit of a different story. The bolt is installed from the bottom side, toward the front, behind the dust chute. I could barely reach it. I had to have my nephew attach that last bolt. Once that was done, the rest of the assembly we rather well.

The coating they apply for protection during shippment came off pretty easily for the most part. The only trouble spots were in the fence mechisim which was to be expected.

After set up, we decided to fire it up and run a few test cuts. Now I know that I need to add a few more circuts in the shop area. When we plugged it in, it went into the same circuit that carries the load for the shop lights. Upon start up, it made the floresent fixtures flicker. Adrian thought it was cool, I thought that I really need to get those new circuts run.

The Parallelogram beds adjust very easily and lock down well. The fence was a bit tricky to get set up properly at first but when we went back to the instructions we found that we had missed a step during installation. A quick adjustment, and all was good. The outfeed bed came dead on out of the box and I only need to slightly adjust the infeed table. All the surfaces were flat and true.

After a quick cleaning and a coat of wax on the bed. We fired it back up and ran some red oak through as a test. It worked like a champ! After a few passes, it had the edge as smooth as glass. I should have done this sooner.

Pros:
It’s heavy and absorbs vibrations well.
Set up and adjustments are straight forward.
Bed is flat and true
Cutting depth adjustments are simple and easy to make.

Cons
It’s heavy (I know I also said this was a Pro) it not something you want to lift without help.
There is one bolt that is difficult to install.
It does draw a lot of load on a 110 circuit.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Great review. Looks like the weight is a mixed blessing, huh?

Greg3G

Thanks Gary, the weight listed on the Steel City site is 320lbs (350lbs shipping) I must be getting old, because it felt a lot heavier coming off the back of my truck when we unloaded it.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Great review Greg.

I’m happy for you.

I had the same, only a fuse problem with my Rikon bandsaw.

With the heavy cast iron wheels it takes extra amps. to get started.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

cool great review. I’ve been looking into Steel City Lately and although i haven’t heard much everything has been good. thanks for the review.

View Richard Williams's profile

Richard Williams

Wow, Greg! Looks very nice. Use it in good health my friend. Been tremendously busy now with all kinds of new assignments. Plus just the other day SolidWorks Corporation asked me to write a weekly column for their Teachers Web Site. I gladly accepted of course. A great honor for me. Take care of that machine and keep it clean. Your little buddy. God Bless.

-- Rich, Nevada,

Greg3G

Very cool Rich, you’ll have to send me a copy every now and again. Take care and congradulations!

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

well done review … I liked the way you explained the difficult bolt assembly

great photo too ! looks professional >grin<

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

Greg Great review and congratulations.

View Sparky977's profile

Sparky977

I am going to pick up an 8” Steel City jointer on Friday. Glad to know you like yours!

-- www.scottmeekwoodworks.com

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

Can you rewire this jointer to run on 240 volts? That would help a lot with the flickering lots.

-- Kevin, Wichita, Kansas

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi sparky;

A customer of mine recently bought the 8” steel city jointer, and is thrilled to death with it.

He also bought a table saw to go with it. Also steel city, also thrilled. Really well made machines.

Good luck with your new toys guys.

View dlcarver's profile

dlcarver

like I said , I can only wish.
Dave

-- Dave Leitem,Butler,Pa.,http://dlcarver.etsy.com

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Another thumbs up for Steel City! Great review

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View grumpycarp's profile

grumpycarp

If I were king of the world ALL planers would have a built in mobile base. You would unbox the unit, and assemble it with the wheels already on it. These thing always get jacked up from people lifting them by the tables and moving them around. Good on ya’!

Thanks for the review Greg. I have been looking at the Steel City tool line. This one looks good.