701 PM Benchtop Deluxe Mortiser

Review by plantek posted 05-28-2012 03:34 PM 1958 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
701 PM Benchtop Deluxe Mortiser No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The 5 star rating is a bit biased since I have never owned or used a mortiser before.
However I can say this machine is fantastic.
I have been wanting to start building projects with through mortises for a while now. But when I decided to build a pair of arts and crafts style ottomans (Still in progress) I made the decision to buy this. I’m glad I did.
So far I’ve used it to mortise (16) 1/2” x 2” and (8) 1/2” x3 1/2” mortises through 2” thick oak (legs for ottomans). Not once did this machine bog down. The cuts were clean and straight.
Set up was easy and there was no need to bolt it to my bench. It’s a heavy unit but well worth the effort.
I’m well versed in quality built machines and for the life of me cannot imagine needing to buy another. This unit is that well built. The only difference between the bench top model and the stand alone is the bench top model does not tilt. However the bench top model provides plenty of room on the base to set up a jig to accommodate tilting the work piece.
More details can be found here: Powermatic

I should be able to post the completed ottomans in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking.

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!

View plantek's profile

plantek

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#1 posted 05-28-2012 08:28 PM

I’m sure that you will continue to be very happy with this machine. I’ve had mine over two years and got a lot of use out of it so far. The fence, hold-down and roller clamps make is easy to cut accurately.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View luthierchris's profile

luthierchris

#2 posted 06-07-2012 02:35 AM

Nmy jet is similar

#3 posted 10-14-2013 05:41 PM

I have a Delta brand mortiser, and one of my complaints is the maximum width you can fit under the chisel. I can mortise the side of a 4-1/2” board at most. Will a 6” board fit under the 1/2” chisel on the Powermatic?
Thanks

View plantek's profile

plantek

#4 posted 10-17-2013 06:26 PM

I’ve not tried 6” stock but the PM website states 5 1/2” max.

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!