Sabel Block Roller

Review by vipond33 posted 05-28-2012 04:44 AM 2500 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sabel Block Roller Sabel Block Roller No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you ever have occasion to use masking/packing tape as a glue up clamp technique on miters or otherwise, or if you do work with veneer tape from time to time, then you just might like to have this tool in your box. Plastic laminates and general veneering are other regular uses for this roller.

This is a bit of a luxury item at first glance, for how much of that type of work do most of us do? The payoff for anyone is in the quality of your work should you use it. Given a quality tape and a smooth dead clean surface, this medium hard rubber, ball bearing roller will give you superb adhesion, great joints.

It can be used with a cross finger hold on paper tape or for initial smoothing

and then be used straight arm with real power, but without any strain on your wrist.

The hardness (durometer) of the roller is just right to allow you to force thin materials down tight without voids.
It works beautifully as a glue spreader too for small difficult assemblies but is a bit of a chore to clean.

I’ve not that much experience with other materials but have read that it is a favourite with vinyl mechanics and designers.
Not cheap at almost $30 but not so bad really given great results and still being made in the usa by usans. Our small shop has five of them.

gene

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

#1 posted 05-28-2012 05:55 PM

Thanks for sharing some of your expertise. Made sense.Since you do a lot of that kind of work it would appear to also be good for your wrists?

#2 posted 05-29-2012 02:03 AM

Hi Doc
Yes it’s great for avoiding strain and as I get older I’m always looking for more comfortable tools and techniques. My thumbs are worn out from pushing stuff through the tablesaw and my knees are shot but I’ll always find a way to woodwork.

#3 posted 06-24-2012 02:57 PM

nice review and plenty of good information : )
840 views at this time and I am surprised that there aren’t more comments.
Thanks for letting us know about this handy tool !

#4 posted 06-24-2012 03:07 PM

Dusty56,

Sometimes it takes awhile even on a site as big as LJ’s?

The other thing is it is a unique tool? Sometimes I’ve done a blog which I thought would have more appeal, but I had limited response, later someone else did a similar blog but got more reaction?

Any way it’s here when people search for information?

#5 posted 06-24-2012 03:24 PM

Hi Doc , my point was that with all of the views , virtually no one commented on it.
Obviously Gene spent a lot of time putting it together with “hands-on” photos and links as well as his uses for the tool.
A simple “thank you” takes but a second to type , and if the review / title / picture brought you in , then I think common courtesy should kick in at that point. Just saying….I know it’s a different world nowadays , and it’s not all for the better. I guess Common Courtesy , much like Common Sense , is nearly extinct.
Thanks and have a great day : )

#6 posted 06-24-2012 03:54 PM

Think you are correct. Some people will view a well done dog house with two dogs in it faster than a windsor (sp?) chair. Have you noticed what gets more hits on you tube? LOL! people will also respond to what’s personal. I appreciate what Gene does and we share a similar view of furniture, although he does it and I am having to do other things. So I appreciate what ever he does and say so. You too?

#7 posted 06-24-2012 04:15 PM

I too am remiss when it comes to viewing and commenting on reviews, though sometimes I can add nothing of interest or I disagree and would rather say nothing (got burnt badly once). This is a tool of only slight interest to many and I don’t mind if it lies fallow for someone down the road. It’ll wait and then deliver.
I appreciate your comments nonetheless.

#8 posted 06-24-2012 05:16 PM

Gene,

No matter how objectively we may criticize, people percieve criticism as a put down? eg. long blog aboutcorrect way to sharpen chisels. A donneybrook! When a piece does not work for me, I just say nothing but atta boy/girl . LOL!

#9 posted 06-24-2012 06:20 PM

”No matter how objectively we may criticize, people percieve criticism as a put down?”
I’ve had people object to what I’ve commented on / about , but the way they took what I had typed was not what I intended it it be. Makes it tough at times when there is only print and not spoken words to be heard.
Lately I’ve given up on commenting on some projects and just shake my head (what were they thinking) , or I’ll compliment how nice the wood they chose was , without saying (shame you wasted it on this mess) ....LOL
Off to the shop now …have a great day !

#10 posted 06-26-2012 01:54 PM

Now that’s criticism? LOL!Was angry about something said about my work. Wrote what I thought was an objective response. Had my wife edit it. She said”Your’re not going to send this?” I said “why, it’s objective, she said, no it’s not.” Didn’t send it. Let the matter drop. AndI teach communication? LOL!