Instruments you'd be happy to own

Review by Roger Clark aka Rex posted 787 days ago 2572 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Instruments you'd be happy to own Instruments you'd be happy to own Instruments you'd be happy to own Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking around for a while for some metric measuring tools, not flimsy junk, but excellent quality and price point.
Everyone who did design drafting years ago knew that there were only 2 names of drafting machine heads and scales that stood out: Kuhlmann and Mitutoyo.
Every engineer and machine shop operative also knew that calipers and assorted measuring devices worth having were Starrett and Mitutoyo.
So I was utterly surprised to find 2 beautifully made, precise and sturdy rules by Mitutoyo offered in the measurement layout that I was looking for …..... and at a price well below a Starrett.
The 150mm and the 300mm rules are really, really good, and the calibrations are the same on both sides, so whichever face is up is the face you want.
Both these rules have a black background which make it so easy to see the graduations. They are made in the USA, and are available in other Imperial and Metric configurations.
I got mine from Amazon, shipped free – see for yourself:

Mitutoyo 182-115, Steel Rule, 150mm (1mm, 0.5mm, 1mm, 0.5mm), 3/64” Thick X 19mm Wide, Black Chrome Finish Tempered Stainless Steel by Mitutoyo $8.25

Mitutoyo 182-210, Steel Rule, 300mm ( 1mm, 0.5mm, 1mm, 0.5mm), 1/64” Thick X 12mm Wide, Black Chrome Finish Tempered Stainless Steel by Mitutoyo $14.30

I also purchased a Fastcap PMMR-TRUE32 PMMR True32 5m, Metric/Metric Reverse measuring tape for 32mm system, as I have always found this brand to be very good, even if made in China. Price: $8.20

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Well, right now, I’m doing good to handle Imperial system… LOL
... maybe later… whenever…

Looks like good quality stuff… though…

Thank you.

Great looking: I new you British Blokes weren’t any good at good old 1/8 and 1/4.

Hey Joe,
Although I wanted Metric rules, I did remark that Mitutoyo has both Metric and Imperial measures, so it was not a push for metric.
If you go to this link, it will give you the Imperial versions, which are also super products.
(Mitutoyo Stainless Steel Rule, Length: 6”, Graduations: (4R), (1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64”), Thickness: 3/64”, Width: 3/4”, Finish: Black Chrome)

6940 posts in 2031 days

Karson. I am actually a British American, you know, just another one of those minority beings who has a hard time with misspelling words. Life is hard in the colonies, but as a minority group we are pushing to change the official language (or just one of them) to English.

View Roger's profile

Thnx Rog/Rex. Appreciate the link. Looks like ez to read and way affordable.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

6940 posts in 2031 days

Roger. You are absolutely right, the graduations either in Imperial or Metric are amazingly easy to read with the black background, older folks will really like them. Also, I can’t stress the quality enugh, but anyone who is familiar with Mitutoyo tools will know that.

View GMman's profile

GMman

Roger we can buy these tape messure here it’s all I use.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

I have recently begun using metric measurement except where the plan I am working from is in inches. If you scale everything in millimeters, it is about 1000% easier than using inch fractions. I like the Shinwa dull chrome rules, and I use a Starrett metric-only tape. The Mitutoyo black rules look very good, and I will check them out. Thanks for the review.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

JohnnyB:
Yes the metric system of measurement is MUCH easier, don’t quite know why a lot of people are afraid of it.
I have a Shimwa 6” which is very good, also a 6” Starrett. I do find this Mitutoyo exceedingly easier on the eyes to read. All three rules mentioned here are good tools. I have gone and ordered a Mitutoyo 12” x 1” wide Imperial rule and I plan to order an 18” x 1” rule.
I was crushed a few months ago when I ordered a Starrett tape measure as it turned out to be “Made in China”. The Fastcap tapes (various) have proved to be better quality than most.

Mitutoyo is an excellent name in precision tools.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

Roger -
Legibility is a big deal to me, too. I used to be able to easily read the 1/64 marks and even estimate between them to a few thousandths. Now I have trouble enough with 32nd’s. The black chrome is what makes the Mitutoyo rules special. In fact, I ordered one after reading your review. Thanks again.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

JohnnyB:
Growing older brings some unexpected annoyances, like as you mention, graduation clarity diminishes.
You will certainly find the black chrome background for the graduations like having your eyesight restored. :-)
I plan to replace my Shinwas and Starrets with Mitutoyos, simply because they are easier to read and the quality is still “up there”.
The funny side of all this is that way back in the 60’s we were determined never to get old and decrepit, so what happened?
Let me know how the Mitutoyo works out for you.

View Joe Lyddon's profile