Initial Review for Rigid R4151

Review by steve3604 posted 03-23-2008 11:27 PM 12280 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Initial Review for Rigid R4151 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Been shopping for Miter Saws since last fall, read the reviews, searched the web, yada yada, 20% off sale on rigid tools at Home Depot so went and checked it out. I currently have some Rigid tools, (TS3650 table saw totally love it, TP1300 2 blade planer love it, floor model drill press don’t love it but its decent), looked at sliders, and non-sliders 10 and 12 inch, they even had some factory refurb 12” sliders for 349.00. I eventually went with the new R4151 and here’s what sold me, it has a really tall fence 5 3/4” tall, its light 46 lbs, it will cut a 2×10 at 90 degrees, and of course life time warr.
So I get it home, install the blade, also comes with an adjustable laser, found it had a spindle lock which is great for removing and installing the blase. Got the ole Stanley combination square out and decided to check it out, this saw is dead on, the fence is dead on, the miter and 45 and 30 degrees appears to be dead on, and the bevel at 45 degrees is dead on. Cut a couple pieces at 90 degrees with the laser and it’s dead on also, like some lasers its offset to the left when blade touches wood but perfect when raised higher. I did find the turntable lock somewhat unusaul at first but it work fine once you get use to it, some table extensions would have been nice, but can be built later on, it’s advertised to cut 2×6 at 45 degrees. My initial opinion is very positive, I was looking for a 10” bosch slider but this saw cuts 10” wide and I never use material that wide, plus I can always go to my awesome Kreg Miter Gauge on the tablesaw. So initially I am very pleased with the saw and found it to be rather quiet compared to my old Dewalt. it was marked down from 349.00 to 297.00, I know Rigid Tools aren’t for everybody but I can’t afford to fill my shop with Powermaitic and Bosch, I’ve had good experiences with the Rigid Tools I own up to this point, and I will post again if my opinion changes but at this point I say this R4151 is a winner.

Steve in Indiana

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 03-24-2008 12:24 AM

ya that does look like a good saw. i like Ridgid just i always end up getting some other brand. maybe i’ll make my next purchase a Ridgid.

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#2 posted 03-24-2008 01:49 AM

It it a 12” or 10”?

I too have been looking at MS the last few months. The 10” Bosch slider looks really nice . . . but very expensive. The Rigid always seem to catch my eye though.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#3 posted 03-24-2008 03:03 AM

When you combine the price and warranties provided by Ridgid, imho you can’t beat em. I’ve got the 12” scms and it has done well for me. Just my $0.02.

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

#4 posted 03-24-2008 04:08 AM

This is a non-sliding 12” miter saw, guess I forgot that part in the review.

steve

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#5 posted 03-24-2008 04:35 AM

Rigid does make some pretty solid tools – and it’s hard to beat their warranty.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#6 posted 03-24-2008 05:28 AM

Nice review!

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#7 posted 03-24-2008 04:34 PM

Get a clear understanding of the Ridgid warranty. I may be mistaken but you will have to ship the product somewhere since the stores do not do repair work, it does not cover “normal” wear and tear. I’ll be honest that I’m not too impressed with Ridgid tools at a professional level. they seem ok for occaisional use though at a hobby level. I’ve had service done to Bosch, Makita and Dewalt tools and found the Dewalt service excellent although the other two were almost as good. Regardless of warranty or price there is value in being able to drop the tool off at a local approved service center for repairs and having a free replacement or repair in a day or two. For that reason and that reason alone I’ll never own a Rigid power tool.

-- Paul

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#8 posted 03-24-2008 04:59 PM

Paul – to get the service on Ridgid, you just take it into an authorized service center. I assume by your user name you are in Ottawa, ON? Mytek Power Tools in Ottawa is an authorized service center for Ridgid.

From the Ridgid Website (emphasis added): “The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID® Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and
bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner.”

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#9 posted 03-24-2008 06:42 PM

Ridgid’s lifetime replacement of batteries is the GREAT part of the warranty. I own 3 Ridgid power tools (ts3650 table saw, oscillating spindle/belt sander, and their 13” planer) and have no complaints.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#10 posted 03-24-2008 10:16 PM

I guess I was misinformed Mytek is a great service center but I did not realize they serviced Ridgid there, is this a new development I few years ago there was a smoking deal on a rigid combo kit when the lifetime warranty came out. I was tempted but I was told at the time there was nobody in town who could service them….I guess that’s changed and so does my opinion now. But all things being equal, I still buy the the tool first, the price second and the company third. I’ll add Ridgid to the list of players next time I’m shopping.

-- Paul

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#11 posted 03-25-2008 02:08 PM

Hi Steve

I wish you the best of luck with your new miter saw. I have never owned or used Ridgid tools but a lot of people seem to like them. No matter what tools we use, we are all doing the thing we love, wood working. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

#12 posted 04-08-2008 03:30 PM

I’ve owned a 12 in. Rigid miter saw for 3-4 years and don’t have a bad word to say. Once set up it stays at 90% it has good sawdust exhaust hookup, my nephew trimmed my whole house inside with it and did a great job. I’d buy another in a second. This was pre laser, wish I had one. Think it would be very useful. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View Millo's profile

Millo

#13 posted 03-05-2010 05:41 AM

Would this be a good deal at $160 used in good condition, dust bag missing?

#14 posted 03-05-2010 07:26 PM

I think it would be a great deal, dust bag is about useless any way, I have this saw I like it and was amazed at how quiet it is compared to some others I’ve heard running.

View williams's profile

williams

#15 posted 03-05-2010 07:32 PM

I don’t know what is going on with ridid, but they seem to be making some hits these days.

-- William, Brighton, MI