Chicago Electric Circular Saw Blade Sharpener

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 05-24-2012 01:21 AM 12992 views 1 time favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Chicago Electric Circular Saw Blade Sharpener No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Addendum after 72 days: My old dewalt blade seen on the bench in the video below is what I sharpened next. I sharpened up pretty nicely. In fact I’m leaving it in the saw for a bed build and I’ve been working with Walnut, maple, and jatoba for this. So far the blade that I sharpened has been working really well. So well in fact that I think I’ll spruce up this sharpener with new knobs, and a few washers to help align things. I’m upping my rating a star.

I’d seen a couple of reviews of this blade sharpener. They’re not great. I decided to get this unit anyway. Upon looking at it and seeing it demoed, I wondered if it could be improved on. When I got a coupon and free shipping that brought it down from $59 to about $49, I ordered it.

Interesting, I've found a youtube video of the so called “original commercial version of this unit”. Except for being another color it looks exactly the same.

Taking it out of the box it ‘looks good’. Cleanly made and smooth. It looks just like another branded unit I’d seen demoed on youtube but blue instead of red. I know that sharpening only one edge of a tooth isn’t enough, as this sharpens one edge, but I have a bunch of older very used blades that I don’t care to have professionally sharpened. This might do the trick.

My first impression was that it looked like it has possibilities. After assembling the various parts, I read the sharpening instructions. You basically sit the sawblade on an arm, use a latching mechanism to turn the blade and click it into position for each tooth, then a handle moves a sharpening disk along the inside face of the tooth. The motor and disk are movable from +10 degree angle to a -10 angle. On most blades the teeth are sharpened at these angles in an alternating tooth pattern.

When I set a blade in the unit, I had to work at it to decide the best position for the blade so that it would make contact with the sharpening disk and at the same time the spring loaded stop on another tooth. It took a little getting used to but after awhile you begin to see the best alignment.

Sharpening went fairly smoothly. Each time I clicked a new tooth into position I only found one that didn’t seem to hit the sharpening disk when I moved it into position.

And, as you will see in the video, I found the blade to be much better than when I previously used it. It did not and I didn’t expect it to give a clean cut. But it did cut fast enough in hard wood. This old blade is a much used coarse tooth blade that I use for rough cuts in questionable materials. I had not used it in a long time as it was just too dull for anything but thinner plywood or soft wood. Now I can rough cut in hardwoods again.

I’ve just given this a couple of stars so far as it was not easy to get it set up and I don’t know if anyone should use it on finish blades since it doesn’t sharpen like a professional saw sharpener would. I am going to work my way up my blade ladder to do all the blades I’ve given up on but don’t warrant professional sharpening. During that time I’m going to try and modify the sharpener. I can see places where some sort of knobs would make adjusting it much easier instead of using a wrench. And even though the unit was fairy tight, I can see places I’d like to add some stability to it. One place is the saw blade mounting mechanism. The long arm has to be kept very tight for it to not give a little. I can say that the handle and slides that move the motor and sharpening stone move smoothly and have no play in them. The sliders a like miniature versions of the sliders in a sliding miter saw.

I realize that this review isn’t after a lot of use and experience with this sharpener. But one blade is just the beginning and shows what it can, and cannot do. As I modify this unit, and continue to sharpen some other blades I’ll amend this review with updated info and thoughts. As for now, it’s a work in progress. Sort of a project to take a moderately adequate device and possibly turn it into one with more potential.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2093 days

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7011 posts in 1959 days

#1 posted 05-24-2012 01:56 AM

well dan that was a great video of this tool, it seemed to do a good job as your oak and plywood went through very smoothly and the cut sounded good…so i can see so far that this might be good for say a 40 tooth , or less blade, i dont think i would want to use my really good blades, say the 80 tooth ones…i dont know if i would trust it that far, but ill watch this review from you and see what you end up thinking, thanks , hope you had a good trip also…grizz

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Howie's profile

Howie

#2 posted 05-24-2012 12:09 PM

Great review. I’ve looked at these before and couldn’t find any reviews that were favorable. I see a use for this just like you point out(lower end blades). Think I’ll do a second look.

-- Life is good.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#3 posted 05-24-2012 03:01 PM

thanks for the rewiew
if you can stabilise the blade I think it will do a fair job
I have seen a big comercial automatic version of these maschinery
and I wasn´t so impressed over that one compared to this one
and it works simular to those you can get to chainsaws

Dennis

#4 posted 05-24-2012 03:56 PM

Excellent review,
I never get my blades sharpened I just replace them but with this tool I might start sharpen them my self.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#5 posted 05-24-2012 10:26 PM

Thanks Dan for taking the time to review this.

I purchased and use their chain saw blade sharpener. It works in a similar fashon. It does the job and saves money. Already paid for itself.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

#6 posted 05-24-2012 10:41 PM

Excellent video and review , Dan ! : )

View Howie's profile

Howie

#7 posted 05-24-2012 11:11 PM

Here is some more input to Dan’s post.

HF website has this listed for $39.99. If you print off the page on the website the local store will honor it. That is 10 bucks cheaper than it being on sale @49.95.
If you buy one (I did) watch the video a couple of times. I wasn’t impressed until I watched Dan’s vid again and figured out the blade was backwards. The picture on the box has the blade in backwards which keeps the little flipper hickey from working properly. Once I turned the blade over it worked just fine(duh).

Good job Dan

-- Life is good.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#8 posted 05-24-2012 11:13 PM

Thanks Dan!

Like you, I only put the old ratty blades through the machine. I’ve had it for about 2 years and have done six blades with it, all bit one were Irwin Marathon 24 Tooth rip blades.

The machine did a credible job, but really needs more support for the blade.

The one 80 tooth Dewalt blade I did may have been too far gone. Someone gave it to me years ago and it’s bounced in an RV in a Rubbermaid tub.
The quality of the cut after sharpening that blade was good for the miter saw I put it in to chop up some cedar and pine, but I don’t think it will work on hard woods.

I have a second machine I got for Christmas….. I turned it into a stationary sander by removing the arbor and the threads on the motor the re-threading to a Jacobs Drill chuck and threading one on. I plug it into a box with a light dimmer to control the speed.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View ward63's profile

ward63

#9 posted 05-25-2012 03:15 AM

Great video Dan :-) I also have an assortment of old blades that could use a bit of sharpening.
This machine could also be used for cutting wood gears.
Thanks for sharing.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#10 posted 05-25-2012 02:48 PM

I have one of these as well. I never seemed to be able to make it work right. It’s been up on a shelf in a box for a few years so I can’t remember why I couldn’t make it work. I’ve thought about selling it so many times. I may give it another shot and see if your instructions help. Thanks for the info.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#11 posted 05-25-2012 04:52 PM

Hi Dan , I forgot to ask if you are able to adjust the angle of the grind , ie: positive or negative , to accommodate different blades for miter saws versus table saws , or is it just a straight 90 degrees ?
Thank you and have a great weekend : )
Len

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

#12 posted 05-26-2012 12:47 AM

Great review! I’ve always wondered if there was some sort of sharpening system for saw blades. I’ve never seen this one before.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2093 days

#13 posted 05-28-2012 07:46 PM

Dusty, Sorry, been camping.

Yes the video shows that you can go from zero degrees to up to 15 degrees positive and negative.

#14 posted 05-28-2012 08:44 PM

How dare you go camping , Dan ? LOL Thanks for answering my question. I’m going to have to keep this tool in mind for my “lesser” blades : )

View hhhopks's profile

hhhopks

#15 posted 05-28-2012 09:37 PM

Great review.
$50 seems worth giving it a shot.

I’ll be watching.