RYOBI BS903

Review by eddy posted 05-22-2012 08:14 PM 5250 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
RYOBI BS903 RYOBI BS903 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

got this saw about a week ago looked at all the 9 and 10 inch saws out there in the 100 dollr range this had the least amount of plastic on it. got it for my daughter so she could cut her pen blanks to size without having to wait to use mine. did all the regular start up stuff sett blade tracking,adjust table to square,adjust blade tension, and adjust guides. started it up and it started to walk across the table vibrating so bad was hard to push the off button.
took the blde off ck wheels top wheel was so out of ballance too 20 min. to get it close. (see 2nd picture) still vibrates but not so bad as it cant be used. my daughter likes it a lot so i guess it stays my impression is save your money up and get a jet.

View DeputyDawg's profile

DeputyDawg

#1 posted 05-22-2012 08:25 PM

Nice looking saw. Just to bad they don’t make magnets that will work on aluminum.

-- DeputyDawg

#2 posted 05-22-2012 08:31 PM

still vibrates more than i like may have to do the same to the bottom wheel
the importnt thing is it is my daughters and she likes it a lot so i guess its all good
till she starts eyeballing my rikon

View Wolffarmer's profile

Wolffarmer

393 posts in 1933 days

#3 posted 05-22-2012 11:58 PM

If you want to get fancy they do make adhesive wheel weights. Motorcycle shops will have them. Probably some tire stores also.
Randy

-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#4 posted 05-23-2012 01:15 AM

Or drill a hole a 180 opposite of where the weight would be.

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

2021 posts in 1926 days

#5 posted 05-23-2012 03:28 AM

I have that saw and it has been a disappointment from the git go. Maybe if I change the blade and try to balance the wheels it will be a little better.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#6 posted 05-23-2012 10:54 AM

I have that band saw. It’s a good little saw but only for small crafts. Mine was balanced out of the box and still is after five years. If it’s so out of balance that you don’t like using it, perhaps it’s time to take it back to ther store for a refund or replacement. Do it before you drill holes or glue on weights.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

#7 posted 05-23-2012 02:11 PM

Hi Eddy,

How’s it going? I still think it’s great your daughter is so involved. I like Jeff’s comment. I went through a couple of the Ridgid spindle/belt sanders before I kept one.

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

#8 posted 05-23-2012 02:38 PM

i am going to try to return it this weekend only issue with that is the box got tossed out

5386 posts in 1927 days

#9 posted 05-23-2012 03:02 PM

Yep, return that sucker for warranty. The BS903, like almost every other band saw, not all but most, comes with an awful blade, that should be upgraded before using it… But the wheels should be in balance, there should be little to no vibration…

I have never had one of those, but have used my friends often enough before I bought my 14” band saw to know this saw shouldn’t be all that bad… Just limited due to size and power.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Moron's profile

Moron

#10 posted 05-23-2012 03:40 PM

I have yet to see a tool, a garden whipper snipper,……….anything made by Ryobi that is worth it’s salt. Most often its less expensive to just throw some $$$ paper $$$ into the wind.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View meikou's profile

meikou

#11 posted 05-23-2012 04:04 PM

Unfortunately Ryobi was downgraded to consumer DIY tools. If you look back at their old stuff it was very innovative and well built ie bt3000, wdp1850 to name a couple.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#12 posted 05-23-2012 06:19 PM

Every time I stroll through HD I see Ryobi on sale. I think there is a reason for that. For me, they should just drop the line.
I think the first three letters stand for “Ripped You Off”. I own the Ryobi BT3000 tablesaw I bought in 2000 when I needed a lightweight table saw with a fairly big table. Got the extensions on the right and back. Still a good saw, but 12 years later I would not buy anything they sell.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#13 posted 05-27-2012 12:57 PM

If you still want a 10” band saw, the Rikon 10-305 or the Craftsman 21400 are built like a tank. They are indentical saws in all respects other than the paint job. I have used the Craftsman at a friends shop quite a few times and it runs/works very well. I never thought a 10” band saw could impress me very much…..but this one does. The Craftsman is on sale for $169.00.right now, making it alot cheaper than the Rikon.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

#14 posted 05-30-2012 05:40 PM

Mr. Gasket (adhesive wheel weights)...

They can be bought at most if not all automotive part stores.

To fine tune you can drill SMALL holes, but honestly I dont like this idea very much yet it is done at times.

#15 posted 05-30-2012 06:06 PM

this saw is now gone . took it back tryed another one off the shelf and it was just as bad got my money back and im looking for a good 12 inch got my eye on a delt 28-190 now