Fantastic lumber mill in Western Massachusetts

Review by lumberjoe posted 05-22-2012 04:22 PM 4984 views 6 times favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fantastic lumber mill in Western Massachusetts No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I am new to woodworking, I found the transition from crappy big box lumber to quality hardwoods very intimidating. Buying planed dimensional lumber by the liner foot is a much different experience than buying rough cut lumber by the board foot. While the internet is a great resource for many things, I could not find good information on saw mills close to me. Since this location is about 15 minutes away from me, I figured I would take a chance.

1 – The owner is VERY knowledgeable. He has been doing this for a long time. He also must be used to talking to “idiots” like me because he explained the selecting and pricing process of rough cut lumber very simply. He even asked for dimensions of what I was building and showed me how best to slice up the lumber to minimize waste. I was also a little intimidated by the board foot vs linear foot pricing. After he explained it I felt like an idiot paying 30 dollars for 3 board feet of maple at Home Depot.

2 – Selection. He has the typical north american hardwoods and softwoods such as maple (hard and soft), red and white oak, butternut, ash, cherry, pine, and tulip (poplar). While not a very vast selection, there is ample amounts of everything. There is some random walnut, hickory, and other hardwoods sprinkled in. He also operates a kiln and has both air dried and kiln dried varieties of just about everything. Sizing is also good, There is a good amount of 4/4, 8/4 and some 12/4 cuts. There is even a good selection of boards over a foot wide, but on average most are 6 to 8” wide and between 8 and 10 feet.

To date I have purchased some maple and some red oak. All of which has been outstanding in quality. In fact after planing some maple that I bought I found it had about 3 bf of birdseye in it.

3 – Service. This is why I gave 4 stars. That place is BUSY. Selling to residential customers is not a main focus. If you are there when a lot of commercial trucks show up, you are going to wait. I understand that selling people like me 100$ to 200$ of hardwoods every so often is not going to keep him in business, so I use some patients. If you don’t have the means to clean up the wood, it can be planed/jointed for an additional .25 per board foot per side. However when not busy, the service is excellent. I need a small amount of 8/4 oak. Rather than getting more than I needed (which I was prepared to do), he searched the off cut bins for about a half hour for 2 pieces that worked out perfectly.

4 – Price. Prices seem to be inline with this area for what he carries. I have been to a few other mills in the area, but the selection isn’t even close. I don’t want to dig though a bunch of 8” long off cuts to secure a decent quantity of wood.He is a little generous in your favor counting board feet. Bring cash because that’s your only option.

If you are in the western MA area, please go check them out. You will not be disappointed.

View Bob817's profile

Bob817

#1 posted 05-22-2012 04:51 PM

Joe, I’m in S.E.NH by Merrimac, Ma. where abouts in W. Ma.?

-- ~ Bob ~ Newton, N.H.

#2 posted 05-22-2012 04:55 PM

This place is off of exit 3 on the Mass Pike (I90). It’s quite a haul from Merrimac (2+ hours)

View Kookaburra's profile

Kookaburra

#3 posted 05-22-2012 04:56 PM

Lucky you! I have not found a good lumber shop in my new area, so I still haul things home from the Chicago retailer I have worked with for years. Having confidence in the staff and their advice makes all the difference to me.

-- Kay - Just a girl who loves wood.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 05-22-2012 06:08 PM

nice. too far off west for me. but glad to hear there are options for the west ‘coast’ ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

#5 posted 05-22-2012 07:18 PM

I’m in Framingham, MA, so I will definitely be checking this place out.

Bob817, i’m familiar with where you are (was just doing some network work at Merrimack Valley Medical Center a couple weeks ago). I’ve been going to Downes and Reader, in Stoughton, MA for a while now, really good there too:

I think Stoughton is a little bit of a hike for you too though, as it’s south of Boston.

Anyone know of any other good places in MA for lumber?

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#6 posted 05-22-2012 07:30 PM

A bit closer for the north shore/N.H border:

in Rowley, MA

nice selections

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#7 posted 05-22-2012 07:40 PM

Everett1, I actually work in Framingham so I am in that area daily. I don’t know any good (or any) lumber mills out there.

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

#8 posted 05-22-2012 07:46 PM

Yeah, closest thing I found is Ashland Lumber, in Ashland. He can get stuff, but you have to have him order it first.
But, I will definitely be checking out this place now, with just a quick road trip. Was the Cherry selection there good? Not sure if you had a need to look at it though.

Also, on the site, it doesn’t mention Quarter sawn white oak =-(

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

#9 posted 05-23-2012 03:03 AM

Hi Joe , an address or website link would help people find them : )

#10 posted 05-23-2012 03:11 AM

Duh! Thanks. I thought I put one in, In any case here you go

Oleksak lumber

Also if anyone is looking for Ambrosia maple, they have a ton of it. He used to make pallets out of it! 3.25/bf. Little known fact (by me anyway) WHND is an actual lumber classification. (Worm Holes No Defects)

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#11 posted 05-23-2012 03:41 AM

Since 1922???? I grew up mere miles form there and used to golf in Westfield all the time. Of course back then I did not know what a saw was HAHA!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View guitar1999's profile

guitar1999

#12 posted 05-23-2012 06:07 PM

Wow, I just got a new list of places to shop for lumber! I’m on Cape Cod but I often visit my finace’s family in southern NH. When I’m there, I make a point to swing by Highland Hardwoods on Rt 125 in Brentwood, NH. Their selection is spectacular, even in their shorts bin. I highly recommend checking them out if you’re in the area. http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/

I’ll definitely check out Downs and Reader, as I often drive through that area.

-- Jesse - Cape Cod, MA

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#13 posted 05-23-2012 07:52 PM

Everett – i found a guy in Pittsfield that runs a bandsaw mill. Might be too far west for you though. Definately too far north for me comin out of CT. I did just come back from CT wood group in Enfield CT, and they have a very nice selection and will plane your lumber for free. Piles of QSWO 4/4 6/4 8/4.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

#14 posted 05-23-2012 08:10 PM

Endfield is literally down the street from me, I live in Agawam. Where is that? I need QSWO for some mission tables and I want to start this weekend.

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#15 posted 05-23-2012 08:16 PM

The address is 18 Mullen St in Enfield right off route 5. Take 91 South to exit 45, left off the exit (i think, i came the other way) onto Rt 140, left on rt 5, about a mile up is mullen road. Theyre closed for the holiday weekend this weekend so hurry on up and get over there! The QSWO is in the upper deck dead smack in the middle. Their site is cwghardwoodoutlet.com