rikon 10-325 upgrade

Review by eddy posted 821 days ago 5813 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
rikon 10-325 upgrade rikon 10-325 upgrade rikon 10-325 upgrade Click the pictures to enlarge them

i have been using a craftsman 20401 14 inch bandsaw for almost 4 years now. not a bad saw at all but not ment to be used to resaw almost every day. needless to say it was showing some wear. started looking at all the saws that were 14 inches both the jett and powermatic only had 15 inch tables too small for me. so that left the ricon only thing i did not like was the guide bearings they are the same as what was on the craftsman. started looking around and found the carter brg,s replaced the brg,s installed a wood slicer and this is the best saw i have ever used no vibration at all no drift when resawing fence is great i screwed a tall piece of mdf to the fence and started resawing cut 2 pieces 22 inch long of zebra 7 inches tall 1 23 inch piece of lace wood 6 inched tall and so on all of the cuts were within .010 or less of flat i would buy it again

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

I’ve been thinking about this saw.

But I’m torn between one of these “mega” 14” saws or getting a 17” saw.

I do intend to build period furniture (one of these days) so I don’t want to end up limited.

On my budget I can only buy one saw once I pull the trigger.

-- Mike

View RogerM's profile

RogerM

I too have the 14” Rikon Deluxe with the Carter upgraded blade guides. This combination (plus a Woodslicer or Timberwolf blade)is very hard to beat for the money.

-- Roger M, Aiken, SC

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

I’ve had my 10-325 deluxe for a couple of years now, and you are spot on! The combination of a good tune up and a woodslicer blade has allowed me to resaw Mahogany for drawer fronts, Mesquite for a bent lamination, and Alder for veneering shelves of my Alder/ Turquoise inlaid tables. The tool has been consistant and reliable. Happily, I got it on sale, BEFORE the price went up!

I have been using it with the guide bearings that came with it. Although I may change them out after reading your experience, I spoke to the factory early on, and was told the current bearings are Carters, but their previous generation. Enjoy the saw!!

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View Roger's profile

Fantastic. Thnx for the review. Looks like a beastee of a wood slicer

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View EdwardR's profile

EdwardR

I just purchased mine and it sits in the shop because I broke my ankle in 3 places. ( gonna be a long summer) Would you suggest to upgrade out of the gate.

926 posts in 1989 days

edward yes it will make a big differance if you do a lot of resawing like i do if all you do is scroll work probly not
my old saw had the same brg,s as this and i suffered with them for almost 4 years. they are a pain to adjust and the carters are double brg,s on the sides for better suport also dont wast your time with the factory blade
hope that helps
fet better soon

View EdwardR's profile

EdwardR

Eddy Thanks my friend going to get one asap. I already bought new Timberwolf blades.

I had to retire and took up woodworking as a new hobby At least i know I made one good decision

View thebicyclecafe's profile

thebicyclecafe

Eddy, thanks for posting this, I was just contemplating making the same upgrade. Looks like you got the micro adjust carters.
Do you find that you are able to move the thrust bearing and side bearings adequately now, in the front to back position? On the old guides, the lower thrust bearing can’t get close enough to the blade, and the side guides couldn’t be correctly adjusted to just behind the gullets.
Are the carters improving your setup time? I am so sick of adjusting the guides a million times everytime I change a blade, the stock guides move after you lock them down, super annoying.
Thanks!

926 posts in 1989 days

the blade changes are ten times as fast now worth every penny

View HorizontalMike's profile

HorizontalMike

I also have this same 14in Deluxe BS, though I have not needed to do the Carter upgrade. The OEM guides are doing the trick for me. When I wear them out, I may move up to the Carter system. Time will tell. If I recall correctly, I paid $675 for it on sale at WC in 2009.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View BroncoBrian's profile

BroncoBrian

Thanks for the review, this is on my short list for this week. Would you change anything now that you have had it for a while? Any reason you might look at another BS in that range?

-- Stop thinking, let things happen... and be the ball.

926 posts in 1989 days

sence i got this saw i have had the chance to use a powermatic and a jet one or twice
in my personal opinion the saw beats them both. it is a resaw beast i made a few bandsaw boxes last week
with this saw. was a very fast project

926 posts in 1989 days

2 year update (almost) I use this saw 3 to 4 times a week resawing most of the time. each resaw session is about
40 t0 50 running feet of cherry with some exotics in there still running great. I would still recommend this saw