Music to my ears...

Review by RobH posted 2320 days ago 3397 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Music to my ears... Music to my ears... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought I would post this because I am as happy as a pig in mud when I am using these things. They perform wonderfully.

I like ear muffs better than in-ear style hearing protection. Before I bought these I used a pair of ear muffs with ear bud headphones to listen to my MP3 player. Since my MP3 player has no AM/FM radio option, I often missed that.

Well, as always happens, one of the boys got their hand on my old headphones and broke them. When I went to pick up more, I saw these. I found mine at Lowe’s. I cringed at the price, and I almost thought twice. After all, will the boys get their hands on them and tear them up? Well, I caved and bought these at around $50.00. They were worth every penny. They are sold under the AOSafety brand, but the tag on the headphones says Peltor Type:HRX52A.

These things are great. The only confusing part was the directions did not say to turn off the radio in order to listen to the MP3 player. After I figured that out, which didn’t take long, everything was great.

What I like most is that when I get tired of listening to the local radio station yell at me with car commercials or furniture commercials, or when I have heard the same song for the third time in two hours, I just grab the MP3 player, plug it in and listen to a woodworking podcast or my CD collection while I continue to work.

I LOVE THESE THINGS!!!

For anybody considering them, spend the money it is well worth it.

They are really great in the shop, but I imagine they are going to make mowing the yard a little more enjoyable this year also.

One great thing about it, I wear my hearing protection a lot more. Now, if I could just get a dust mask that I could put cartridges in to make it smell like chocolate cake, baking cookies, or a fresh cut lawn. Then I would wear it more like I should.

-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA

View RobH's profile

RobH

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

The downside to these is you can’t hear the phone ring or The Boss calling from the top of the stairs.
Wait…., hmmmmm.

View Larry's profile

Larry

LOL – no boss, no phone, got to get one of these.

-- "Have you hugged your pet today?" ---------- Larry

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I have a lowley dumb set!

View jcees's profile

jcees

I got a pair similar from a competitor and I’m tickled pink too. My chilluns gave them to me for Christmas. Woohoo! Now I can listen to the Saturday morning shows on NPR and later plug in the MP3 player to listen to a book. Sweet! And all while making sawdust. Should’ve bought’em years ago. NOW they have a model with presets!

Always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View Betsy's profile

Betsy

These are a great addition to the shop. They block the noise and still can listen to your favorite music or programs.

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Good review and idea, thanks for posting.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Chipper's profile

Chipper

I love my set for the noise protection and iPod listening. However, I have found a really, really annoying design flaw and unfortunately I think all of them have it. The on/off/volume control should have been put at the top of the muff, not the bottom. Every time I reach up high to pick up something or work over my head, I move the volume control with my shoulders.

Fix that and provide an adapter to clip my Nano directly to the headset and I’m a happy Chipper…

-- Steve (Plano, TX)

View Marge's profile

Marge

I actually forget to turn off the vacuum when i am done routing as I do not hear it.

-- Marge, Colorado

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

I’ve been thinking about getting a set of these from Lowes too. I am glad to hear that they work well.

-- Kevin, Wichita, Kansas

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

I like the dust mask idea with a chocolate cake canister. Mmmmmmmmm.

I might just have to look at that headset. My $9 ones from Princess Auto do the job on noise reduction, but I cannot hear any tunes.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View grumpycarp's profile

grumpycarp

I’m amazed at how well the tuner in these things work. I can get stations that my job radio won’t get. I also use mine to find refuge from the cucuracha music and talk radio B.S. on the job.

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

I can’t believe that I went so long without these. I finally ordered a set, (through the lumberjocks store), after reading this review. I had a set of earmuffs that broke shortly after I purchased them. I stuck with using plugs for a long time. This thing beats both the earmuffs and plugs hands down. Now I get to listen to my MP3’s AND use my planer.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter