Music to my ears...

Review by RobH posted 03-23-2008 02:47 PM 3786 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Music to my ears... Music to my ears... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought I would post this because I am as happy as a pig in mud when I am using these things. They perform wonderfully.

I like ear muffs better than in-ear style hearing protection. Before I bought these I used a pair of ear muffs with ear bud headphones to listen to my MP3 player. Since my MP3 player has no AM/FM radio option, I often missed that.

Well, as always happens, one of the boys got their hand on my old headphones and broke them. When I went to pick up more, I saw these. I found mine at Lowe’s. I cringed at the price, and I almost thought twice. After all, will the boys get their hands on them and tear them up? Well, I caved and bought these at around $50.00. They were worth every penny. They are sold under the AOSafety brand, but the tag on the headphones says Peltor Type:HRX52A.

These things are great. The only confusing part was the directions did not say to turn off the radio in order to listen to the MP3 player. After I figured that out, which didn’t take long, everything was great.

What I like most is that when I get tired of listening to the local radio station yell at me with car commercials or furniture commercials, or when I have heard the same song for the third time in two hours, I just grab the MP3 player, plug it in and listen to a woodworking podcast or my CD collection while I continue to work.

For anybody considering them, spend the money it is well worth it.

They are really great in the shop, but I imagine they are going to make mowing the yard a little more enjoyable this year also.

One great thing about it, I wear my hearing protection a lot more. Now, if I could just get a dust mask that I could put cartridges in to make it smell like chocolate cake, baking cookies, or a fresh cut lawn. Then I would wear it more like I should.

-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA

View RobH's profile

View rikkor's profile

#1 posted 03-23-2008 04:08 PM

The downside to these is you can’t hear the phone ring or The Boss calling from the top of the stairs.
Wait…., hmmmmm.

View Larry's profile

#2 posted 03-23-2008 05:47 PM

LOL – no boss, no phone, got to get one of these.

-- "Have you hugged your pet today?" ---------- Larry

View GaryK's profile

#3 posted 03-23-2008 05:49 PM

I have a lowley dumb set!

View jcees's profile

#4 posted 03-24-2008 02:17 AM

I got a pair similar from a competitor and I’m tickled pink too. My chilluns gave them to me for Christmas. Woohoo! Now I can listen to the Saturday morning shows on NPR and later plug in the MP3 player to listen to a book. Sweet! And all while making sawdust. Should’ve bought’em years ago. NOW they have a model with presets!

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View Betsy's profile

#5 posted 03-24-2008 03:48 AM

These are a great addition to the shop. They block the noise and still can listen to your favorite music or programs.

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

View cajunpen's profile

#6 posted 03-24-2008 04:33 AM

Good review and idea, thanks for posting.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased."

View Chipper's profile

#7 posted 03-24-2008 04:41 PM

I love my set for the noise protection and iPod listening. However, I have found a really, really annoying design flaw and unfortunately I think all of them have it. The on/off/volume control should have been put at the top of the muff, not the bottom. Every time I reach up high to pick up something or work over my head, I move the volume control with my shoulders.

Fix that and provide an adapter to clip my Nano directly to the headset and I’m a happy Chipper…

-- Steve (Plano, TX)

View Marge's profile

#8 posted 03-24-2008 09:11 PM

I actually forget to turn off the vacuum when i am done routing as I do not hear it.

-- Marge, Colorado

View Kevin's profile

#9 posted 03-25-2008 12:28 AM

I’ve been thinking about getting a set of these from Lowes too. I am glad to hear that they work well.

-- Kevin, Wichita, Kansas

View Zuki's profile

#10 posted 03-25-2008 02:38 AM

I like the dust mask idea with a chocolate cake canister. Mmmmmmmmm.

I might just have to look at that headset. My $9 ones from Princess Auto do the job on noise reduction, but I cannot hear any tunes.

-- BLOG -

View grumpycarp's profile

#11 posted 03-27-2008 01:30 AM

I’m amazed at how well the tuner in these things work. I can get stations that my job radio won’t get. I also use mine to find refuge from the cucuracha music and talk radio B.S. on the job.

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

#12 posted 04-08-2008 05:50 AM

I can’t believe that I went so long without these. I finally ordered a set, (through the lumberjocks store), after reading this review. I had a set of earmuffs that broke shortly after I purchased them. I stuck with using plugs for a long time. This thing beats both the earmuffs and plugs hands down. Now I get to listen to my MP3’s AND use my planer.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter