Porter Cable 10" Table Saw model: 270TS

Review by Mike posted 05-19-2012 05:40 PM 5824 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 10" Table Saw model: 270TS No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, this is my first review but this product impressed me so much I wanted to write one. For starters, I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as most on here and consider myself a beginner. I’ve never had access to really “nice” machines so always kinda “made due” with what I had. Up until now my table saw was a contractor style Makita 10” saw, which really isn’t capable or designed for precision…it’s for rough cutting 2X6’s and plywood. I’ve been wanting to make some furniture for my house for a while now, but never did because I’ve always felt held back because of the tools I had. For a few years while at Lowes I’ve stopped and looked at the Porter Cable 10” Table Saw model 270TS and admired it, but was unsure because of the price. I’ve got plenty of other Porter Cable stuff, including a circular saw I’ve used heavily for 20 years so it’s been a brand I trust. I always went over to that saw and though, wow this is really nice! But it’s inexpensive, and it’s at Lowes (I always order tools or buy them from an equipment shop). Well, a few weeks ago I was at Lowes again, admiring this saw and noticed it was on sale for $549.99 and Lowes was offering 0% financing for 12 months so after some consideration…I took one home.

As far as wood working goes, this was the best thing I’ve ever done. Here’s my review:

Upon getting it home, I opened the box while in the bed of my truck and brought pieces inside the basement and began building it. It went together really easily and during assembly I never had one of those “why did they make it this way” moments. Everything made sense and went together easily. The instructions leave a little to be desired, but these days it’s almost to be expected unfortunately. Once it was together I was able to really look around the saw and these were my impressions. It has a very nice fence, and miter gauge. The miter gauge slot is standard so you can add an aftermarket one if you like but for my needs I doubt I ever will. Right out of the box the table extensions bolted on and were exactly on plane with the machines steel top. The miter gauge and fence needed no adjustment, and the blade was a perfect 90 degrees to the table. The stand has a nice foot lever to drop some caster down to make it portable which is a nice touch, and when the casters are up it’s rock solid. On the stand are plenty of holders for the miter gauge, fence, wrench, and included push stick. This saw comes with a riving knife, which mounts quickly and does it’s job well so I doubt I’ll ever remove it. The blade guard is like all guards, clunky so I don’t have it on and probably wont use it. I really wanted to use the anti-kickback pawls but decided not to…they’re very sharp and will make wood, and the quick release design of them is clunky and doesn’t allow lowering the blade beneath the table. This is my only complaint! At least the riving knife is there to help reduce kick backs so it’s just a minor complaint. I didn’t use the included blade so I cant talk about what it’s performance would be. I opted for a Freud 60 tooth finish blade, and mounting it is a snap….you don’t need two wrenches to change a blade, you hold a button with one hand and use a wrench with the other. Really nice feature.

Running the saw. I cant believe how smooth and quiet this saw is. My old saw was a noisy rascal but this saw is very quiet. My Rigid shop vac hose plugged right into the dust port and the dust collection works nice. Before cutting anything I applied two coats of Johnson’s paste wax to the surface, so now everything (Miter, fence, and wood) glide across the table. The power switch is in a nice location, and is located under a “bump cap” so if you need to shut down just hit it with your knee. I’ve gotten in the habit of hitting the switch cover with my knee after each cut so I’m enjoying this trait.

I’ve only made one piece with the saw so far, a Shaker style narrow end table. I’ve begun another project and it keeps me grinning because I’m so surprised at how well it performs. Now I realize, the contractor saw I went from is no doubt the reason for some of my surprise, but this saw is just plain nice! I’m looking forward to many years of using this saw so time will tell if it’s built to last, but I have a feeling this will be in my shop for quite a while.

The included photo shows a slab of 2” thick Black Walnut I cut just this am. It came out perfectly square, and it looks like it went through a jointer and planer…it’s surfaces are that smooth. It’s original thickness was almost 2 and a half inches, and the saw ripped through it without ever bogging or slowing down. So can you tell I’m pleased and give the saw 5 stars?

View Mike's profile

Mike

View rejo55's profile

rejo55

#1 posted 05-20-2012 12:19 AM

I absolutely agree. I have had mine about a year, and wouldn’t swap it for hardly anything. Tell ya something, though: the blade that came with it is no slouch. I have ripped boards for glue up and they are ready to glue!. I have a six-foot level that is true (straight), and when you put the ripped edge against the level, or against another ripped board, there is absolutely no light showing. As you said, the power is WAY enough for the home craftsman. I have ripped 3 inch oak with it with no problem; of course I don’t crowd it—just let it eat at its own pace, and it does the job. I love it!!

-- rejo55, East Texas

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#2 posted 05-20-2012 12:41 AM

Although I don’t own this particular table saw, might I make a suggestion?

Save the 60 tooth finish blade for making nice cross cuts and ripping thin material.
Buy a nice 24-30 tooth ripping blade. You’ll be even more impressed and the saw motor will thank you by lasting many years longer.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View mveach's profile

mveach

#3 posted 05-20-2012 03:54 AM

I have had mine for a year or so also. While there are a number of nicer saws as far as mas and materials. I have never used any saw that was any smother. vibration is non existent. The frond tilt wheel is a big plus also.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#4 posted 05-20-2012 10:53 AM

Congrats on the saw mjfnh

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#5 posted 05-21-2012 04:31 PM

Menards sells a saw called Masterforce that looks like it is the exact same thing. It’s $599 also…

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View Mike's profile

Mike

#6 posted 05-22-2012 06:23 PM

That one does look similiar, but with enough difference to make me wonder if it’s not made by someone other than who makes the saw for Porter Cable. It’s stand is similar to the Rigid TS. I wonder who makes them.

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

#7 posted 01-16-2013 03:45 PM

I’ve had mine for two weeks and have run into my first problem. The positive stops are out. 45° stops at 44° and the 90° goes to 91°. It appears that the positive stops are the underside of the table top on each side. I can live with the 90° side but as a boxmaker, 44° will not work. Any suggestions on how to corresct this without sending the saw back?

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com