Grizzly GO703P The right Dust Collector for my shop

Review by Dewshan posted 827 days ago 6389 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly GO703P  The right Dust Collector for my shop Grizzly GO703P  The right Dust Collector for my shop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After many years of building projects without good dust collection I decided it was time to get serious about controlling the dust in my shop. Besides the obvious health issues it is also not much fun to be covered in dust after a long day of woodworking. I also recently upgraded my table saw to a JET hybrid that has a dust port and I was feeling a little guilty about running the saw without one. My shop is a 2 car garage that I also use to work on cars so I wanted a DC that could be moved around when necessary (I am not ready to take the plunge into installing duct work yet) , 110 volt, and I liked the idea of a cyclone that could keep the filters clean longer. I decided on the grizzly G0703P.

I picked it up from the carrier and it fit easily in my mid sized truck. The cyclone, motor and filter assembly come pre-assembled and are the heaviest part that has to be lifted up on the legs. I had it assembled in around 3 hours with little trouble. I am connecting this to my table saw with a 5” flex hose using the 6” to 5” reducer that is included.

This unit has a remote control that is very handy. I keep the remote on the table saw fence and it makes it very easy to turn on the DC, start the table saw, make a cut, and turn off. It is kind of fun to watch the dust go into the barrel when it is running- hopefully I don’t get too distracted by that when making cuts! I have never owned a dust collector so I can’t really compare it to anything else. After around 50 cuts over 2 days I have a small sprinkling of dust in the small bag under the filter- I have not checked the barrel yet. This is my first Grizzly product and I am very happy with the purchase. I realize I am not going to collect every nano particle of dust with this system and that is ok with me. I am also using an ambient box filter with a 1 micron filter to get some of the smaller floating dust. I do wear hearing protection when making cuts and this adds to the overall noise level but it is more of a low frequency whoosh type of sound that is not too annoying. I think this is a good DC to consider if you have a smaller shop and are looking for a 110 volt cyclone.

View cakman's profile

cakman

Thanks for the review. That looks like a great option for a cyclone that is mobile and will run on 110. I will keep my eye out on this one.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I hope I don’t offend you, but this DC is only rated at 775 CFM at a static pressure of 1.08. This means that the best CFM for this machine with no hoses attacted etc. is less than the recommended CFM for fine dust collection (should be ~800). I imagine that with any sort of ducting or flex hose attached the CFM drops into the 4-500 range which honestly may improve the visible dust from your machines, but won’t come even close to reducing the dust you’re breathing in. I’ve seen this DC before from Grizzly and I’m surpised given its specs that they even sell it without embarressment. Almost any canister DC on the market would outperform this DC.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

Dewshan

I am happy so far. ... I keep it right behind the table saw so not much of a hose run. Use ambient air filter also. Might also get harbor freight and mod it to compare later down the road.

View ruel24's profile

ruel24

Manitario, first of all, your figure for fine dust collection is what OSHA requires. According to Bill Pentz, you need at least 1000 CFM for proper fine dust collection, at the tool.

Second, a canister DC will outperform any cyclone of the same HP at any time. Air is being pulled over the cyclone on the suction side, and that means friction and a longer air path. Therefore, it means less suction than a comparable canister type dust collector.

Dewshan

It is always a trade off with the cyclone design. Your cfms will be lower than a non cyclone design with the same hp- what I like about cyclones are that they separate alot of the dust before they get to the filter so it could lead to less cleaning and maybe longer filter life. I am getting good separation from mine-even though it is only 1.5 hp. Now about 2” of dust in barrel and just a small sprinkling in the bag under the filter. I do plan to enlarge the table saw dust port to match the hose size that will remove quite a bit of restriction. I think if I am only getting 500cfm real world at the tool it is still better than what I used to have- which was zero cfms!

View ruel24's profile

ruel24

Dewshan, congrats on your new tool…

View johnLT's profile

johnLT

I’m living with a dust collector with 1/3 the power as yours. Is 1/2 HP enough? It will be when I list it on Craig List for sale! Actually, it does pretty good but would love to have yours. Congrats…

Dewshan

Thanks! As an update still working fine… Have made many cuts and filled the barrel about half way. I put a splitter and made a home made collector to get dust from the top of the saw as well.

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

Montario,

If you read the review of Mobile Cyclones by American Woodworker December/January 2011. You will see that they rated this unit fairly high in a competition with Oneida 2hp Smart System and Penn State Tempest 2hp Cylone. When hooked up to 10’ of 5” flex hose the resulting 590 CFM would be equivalent to about 4300 FPM ( if my math is correct 590 CFM / (2.5 X 2.5 X 3.145 / 144) ). I would think that would be plenty of air flow to pick up the dust and chips….....For $1000 less than the Oneida I think any rational person would keep it in the mix from a competitive stand point.

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

Dewshan,

Not that you have had this for about 4 months are you still happy with the purchase? Thinking about getting one myself.

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

Dewshan

I still like it. No complaints. I keep mine right behind my tablesaw so it does not have much hose to pull through. If you have a long run with the hose or duct work should consider a 220 volt. I didn’t want to mess with 220. The remote is great. Most of the dust collects in the barrel as it should. It is loud but not high pitched like a shop vac is. I always wear ear protection as a habit so it does not bother me. I’m sure the more powerful the vac is the louder they get.

View Roger's profile