AWESOME TABLESAW (WITH VIDEO)

Review by Woodshopfreak posted 03-23-2008 06:31 AM 7906 views 1 time favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch
AWESOME TABLESAW (WITH VIDEO) AWESOME TABLESAW (WITH VIDEO) AWESOME TABLESAW (WITH VIDEO) Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a great tablesaw in every respect. For the full review please watch the video below, but for the gist. This tablesaw has some great features and some pro’s and con’s

Features:
Cool blade guard
Cool blade bevel/ blade hight adjustment
expandable wings to 30 inches

Easy to use
Nice Fence
Great Storage features
Easy to change blades
Good power for it’s size

Con’s:
Light weight (I know it’s in both because it is good and bad depending on how you want to think about it, glass half full or half empty)
Not really stable
inaccurate miter gauge
top scratches :(

SO HERE’S THE VIDEO!!!!!

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#1 posted 03-23-2008 02:32 PM

Hi Tyler. Great in depth and analytical review. That looks like a nicer version of a Craftsman TS I used to own which had served me well. Keep up the good work and Happy Easter!

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#2 posted 03-23-2008 11:15 PM

Great review Tyler, and very informative. This is a good little saw for a direct drive saw and the power is definitely there for it’s size!
Stay safe.

-- --Chuck

View GMman's profile

GMman

#3 posted 05-18-2008 12:57 AM

I have nerver yet seen a good tool come out of Craftman for the price they want

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#4 posted 11-11-2008 03:45 AM

Excellent review , just as good as those done by FWW and the video is the icing on the cake . Be nice if others would do video reviews . Thanks for putting it all together , and you got a great deal on that saw .

View RedLeg's profile

RedLeg

2 posts in 2090 days

#5 posted 01-01-2009 02:03 AM

Woodshopfreak,

Where did you find a dado throat plate to fit the 21805? Also, are you still happy with the 21805? I am thinking of getting one in the next few days, but I can’t find dado plates for it.

Thanks!

View urningit's profile

urningit

11 posts in 2099 days

#6 posted 01-01-2009 02:30 AM

checkout a company called ‘sawstop’. Now thats a table saw

-- urningit

#7 posted 01-01-2009 01:33 PM

Yeah the sawstop’s are just amazeing. I wish I could even fit one in my little area. haha. They are so nice, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#8 posted 01-01-2009 02:20 PM

No! This is NOT an awesome table saw! As long as we keep accepting this kind of cheap Chinese junk as a table saw, we will not get any REAL table saws for sale in the US. There is some innovative design here, but the execution is the same plastic junk that we have all come to know and hate in Chinese manufacturing.

personal opinion – take it as you will

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

#9 posted 01-01-2009 11:31 PM

I understand your opinion but I don’t believe this is a time or place for those kinds of comments. If you really feel that way, why do you have a craftsman table saw. I don’t get it. Leave rude comments to yourself please. I’m not sayin that I would take this over a larger better saw but that it is great for the value, and that it does exactly what I need it to right not.

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#10 posted 01-02-2009 06:15 AM

I have an OLDER Craftsman table saw. From back when they actually made products to do what they sold them for. Sadly, products like the one you reviewed do not function as what they are sold for. I stand by what I said: as long as we accept this cheap crap as table saws, we will not have any decent table saws sold in America. This is cheap Chinese junk! If it does what you need right now, then you have lowered your expectations to exactly what Sears wants for their consumers.

I make no apologies for my statements. What they sell as table saws right now do not deserve the name!

Once again: personal opinion – take it as you will

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#11 posted 01-02-2009 07:02 AM

Great review! Keep up the good work. EEngineer must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. I’m not sure how he can even make the generalization without reviewing the saw personally. Just about every tool, from just about every manufacturer, on the store shelf is made in China today and was probably designed by an American engineer to meet a specific target customer. I don’t think you or anyone else is saying that a saw selling for $139 can be compared to a saw selling for thousands. Craftsman has and is still supplying some great values for us value minded tool seekers. I personally just bought their $99 2.25hp fixed / plunge router combo.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View ajosephg's profile (online now)

ajosephg

#12 posted 01-02-2009 07:28 AM

Tyler-
One of the great benefits that LJ’s provides is a knowledge base that we all can tap into BEFORE we make a purchase. While you are understandably proud of your new saw and think that you got a good deal, a day will come when you realize that you made a mistake. As your skills grow, your desire for higher quality workmanship will also grow. This saw will not grow with you.

For example the angle setting mechanism will not provide the precise settings that the worm gear adjustment on contractor or cabinet saws achieve. You will wish that you had a great big “OFF” switch the first time you try to use the outfeed “table” and find that the end of the stock drops down and gets jammed. Be ready for a major kickback. The non-standard miter slots means you will forever have to live with a sloppy miter gauge because a quality one won’t fit. After you fight to get a bag of sawdust out from underneath the saw several times, you’ll decide it isn’t worth the trouble and let the sawdust fall on the floor. You will not be able to get or keep the blade parallel with the miter slots. I could go on, but I hope you see the point.

When I first started in woodworking many years ago I bought Craftsman because I just didn’t know any better. As you, I thought they were great for awhile, but as time went on I learned that I should have spent a little more money to buy quality. I started off with a Craftsman Direct Drive Table saw (universal motor) that was similar to yours. Within a few years my pride turned to hate and I sold it and bought a contractor’s saw (not a Craftsman). (Now 20 years later, I wish that I would have bought a cabinet saw!) I still have several other Craftsman power tools that I rarely use, but everytime I do turn them on I am reminded of an unwise purchase.

Now – that is not to say you CAN’T do quality work with such a machine, but one of the joys of woodworking is machining wood without fighting the shortcomings of your equipment.

I think it is great that you and a number of other young people are fellow LJ’s. Us “old” guys have learned a lot over the years, and we are anxious and willing to share if asked. We were young once and at that time “knew it all.” As time went on we were surprised to find out how much “smarter” our elders became.

OK? In the meantime, be careful so you reach adulthood with all of your fingers.

-- Joe

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#13 posted 01-02-2009 07:49 AM

Well I would hardly call it an AWESOME saw, but some Craftsman stuff, like the Orion built ( Steel City ) Hybrid tablesaw with the Biesemeyer Commercial fence I think has sold fairly well and has had good reviews. So to say that all Craftsman stuff nowdays is junk and doesn’t deserve the name is maybe a bit of a bold statement. I think if you stick with the majority of the Professional line of their tools you’ll be ok if you buy them on sale, Sears retail prices lately are a little on the high side. SawStop I think is a little too much hype, if their Contractor’s saw was the best, why do cast iron extension wings and a Biesemeyer fence cost extra ? Cabinet saws I’m sure are nice, but not a neccessity in a non commercial enviroment, a Contractor’s saw with a good fence is usually all most hobbyists need.

#14 posted 01-02-2009 08:24 AM

I just want to point out that if you are planning on belittling my saw, please take it elsewhere. It is un-necessary, and I don’t appreciate it at all. I still stand behind what I said about my saw, and I fully understand that it isn’t the best saw. You can’t compare apples to oranges, so don’t compare a entry level saw to a commercial use saw, thats just wrong. I’m 14 and I appreciate what I have. I can’t even fit a better saw in my shop if I wanted to so there is no point in telling me how terrible my saw is. I have found nothing in this saw that I can’t work around.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2094 days

#15 posted 01-02-2009 08:40 AM

Lay off ‘shopfreak. Maybe you boys (EEngineer, GMman, ajosephg, & Woodchuck) were more privileged than the typical 14 year old. Here’s a kid with motivation and initiative. Somehow he finagled the purchase of his first tablesaw, something I wasn’t able to do until I was 25. ... And he has certainly demonstrated that he is not sitting around the house in front of a computer or playing video games all day. Kudos ‘shopfreak!!

One of the aspects of Lumberjocks that is most attractive is the diversity in skills of it’s members. There are people wetting there toes in woodworking everyday, and they will be fortunate to have ‘shopfreak’s review when it comes time to make their tablesaw acquisition. Some may even decide to ignore your (EE, GM, ajose, & Wchuck) “better” advice.

Keep up the good work ‘shopfreak. Can’t wait to watch your next video.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.