...at least it spins.

Review by YooperCasey posted 01-20-2008 02:46 AM 1675 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
...at least it spins. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We all have made a bad tool choice. For alot of folks I hear of that old favorite the wobble dado cutter.

For me it has been a few Black and Decker tools.

I bought this drill for approximately $30. It is a rather featureless drill, it has a keyless chuck which is the one reason it got more then one star. The chuck holds tightly and I have yet to have a bit spin loose and I can still loosen it by hand. The other star got added because at least it spins.

Now to the interesting points.

The drill itself is billed as variable speed which is the main reason I picked it up. Unfortunately the variable part actually means press trigger, allow drill to go wide open, then throttle back. The drill will not start unless the trigger is fully depressed, and then you have to throttle back. This is most frustrating when using a 3 inch hole saw.

The forward/reverse selector button is a very poor design. It is cast out of a lower density plastic so it almost seems “smooshy”. The switch never seems to fully lock, so when you get the drill going it has a tendency to ‘slip’ out of gear.

I’d recomend this for a job where it would be guaranteed to get destroyed in a short span of time regardless of who uses it. Or maybe as a loaner tool for a brother in law or neighbor.

But… at least it spins.

-- Casey, Engineer, Escanaba, MI

View YooperCasey's profile

YooperCasey

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-20-2008 11:02 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ll put this on my “must avoid” list.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 01-20-2008 12:19 PM

haha nice recommendations!! :)

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#3 posted 01-20-2008 02:17 PM

i think its a bit over rated so ill avoid it as well !!

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#4 posted 01-20-2008 03:40 PM

I can tell you really like Black and Decker.
Why did you switch to a different brand router?
A number of years ago B&D got sued a number of times over a faulty 7” hand saw. People kept losing fingers.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#5 posted 05-17-2008 09:41 PM

I have the same drill and haven’t had those problems, except for the reverse and forward selector, I agree it is a bit cheap. It has really good power, or at least mine does. I got mine the day after Thanksgiving for only 10 bucks so I just got it. Sorry for your luck though on yours.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View brunob's profile

brunob

#6 posted 05-17-2008 09:55 PM

Hey, every tool has a purpose even if it’s to serve as a bad example.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

#7 posted 05-18-2008 01:36 PM

Thanks for the review. It is a shame that tools with quality like this are marketed.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#8 posted 11-27-2011 07:27 PM

I remember way back when B&D was a quality tool; same for Skil. Now they are all junk.