Wynn Environmental Filters for the Jet AFS 1000B Filter system

Review by bluejazz posted 05-12-2012 01:02 PM 4181 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wynn Environmental Filters for the Jet AFS 1000B Filter system No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased the Jet AFS 1000B. I was amazed at how quickly the filter was clogged up, thinking one the one hand this might get pretty expensive, but also thinking on the other hand, I am glad I didn’t breathe all that. I am very happy with this filtering system. I cannot quantify how well it cleans the air, but visibly pulls a lot of stuff out of the air. But this review is for the Wynn Environmental replacement outer filters.

Replacement outer filters from Jet are upwards of $24 (at Rockler). Somewhat underhandedly, Jet makes them slightly smaller than standard sizes.

I did a little research and found these at Wynn Environmental. Wynn seems to have a pretty good reputation and they had 6 replacement filters (they claim are a higher standard than stock) for this Jet filtration system for $48.

I received them quickly but then found them to be about 1/8 smaller in length and thickness. Length is not an issue since they still easily cover the opening. Thickness is a bit of a problem since the holding clips cannot reach far enough down to capture the filter.

I added a couple thin pieces of scrap to handle that as shown in the picture.

I’m happy with them. They cost about $10 per filter with shipping. They come only in six-packs. They lose one star for thickness.

(BTW even though the standard filters Jet and Wynn) are cardboard they can stand up to at least 1 re-use after washing with a garden hose)

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5064 posts in 1958 days

#1 posted 05-12-2012 03:17 PM

Have you considered buying the electrostatic washable filters? I have a Jet air filter and 3 homemade air scrubbers made from squirrel cage fans. They all work very well but would cost way too much to use the disposable filters. Most washable filter manufacturers will make the filter to any size you request and they only cost about $49 each…much cheaper than forever buying disposable filters.

#2 posted 05-12-2012 04:22 PM

Yes actually that was my first inclination. But I kept reading bad reviews about fit. Do you know of a speciific manufacturer that makes them to fit or you know will build to size?

Thanks

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5064 posts in 1958 days

#3 posted 05-12-2012 06:04 PM

My 12×24 filter used in the Jet fits perfectly snug. My other 3 units that I built were designed to fit these filters. I use one that is 12×24 and two that are 20×20. The company i purchased them from builds them to your size requested also. The electrostatic washable filters are not quite as effective as a pleated filter but I do use a pleated filter in back of the permanent one and it lasts at least ten times as long. The jet unit has the backup cloth bag.
Hope this helps.

#4 posted 05-13-2012 01:02 PM

Thanks. I will check them out.

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

#5 posted 05-13-2012 08:06 PM

Did you contact Wynn concerning sizing issues? I think I would to make sure you received the correct units for your Jet?

I used the Electrostatic + a Furnace filter overlay and still was amazed by the fine particle build-up on the “Sock” filter inside. Some boo-hoo the effectiveness of a ambient air filter, I certainly never will.

Retrowood

-- Retrowood

#6 posted 05-14-2012 10:33 PM

Seems like they all have their own specific sizes..my Grizzly is the same way…just different enough that you have to buy from them.
Is that filter facing in the correct direction , or does it have reinforcement on both sides ?
I’m assuming that we’re looking at the intake side of the machine.: )

#7 posted 05-15-2012 12:29 PM

The photo is facing the intake side and it does not have reinforcement on both sides. It is facing in the direction listed on the filter, which like the stock Jet filter shows the air-flow going from the unreinforced side towards the reinforced side.

Retro, I am convinced its the correct filter. Those clips just barely reached on the Jet filter.

#8 posted 05-15-2012 08:12 PM

”which like the stock Jet filter shows the air-flow going from the unreinforced side towards the reinforced side.”
That’s what I thought , you have it in backwards : )
If the air was blowing out instead of sucking in , you would have it right.
The reinforcement helps to support the filter from collapsing inwards as the filter becomes clogged.

#9 posted 05-15-2012 08:38 PM

Well Dusty, I would sure like to hear some others weigh in here on this topic, because every picture I have seen, including in the Jet manual show the filter inserted as I have it here. The air is moving into the machine in the direction of the arrow on intake side.

If you look on Rockler at http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=5489&r=2&TabSelect=Details, (and expand the image) you can clearly see the airflow arrow pointing inward.

If you look at the pdf manual of this machine at:

you can see every image in the manaul shows the filter placed the same way, cage in.

#10 posted 05-15-2012 09:25 PM

I guess I’m wrong then , but all of my pleated filters have the reinforcement on the inside , including my home furnace filters , and the air flows in towards them , just like your reinforcement statement above… Sorry for doubting you : )

View Gee's profile

Gee

#11 posted 05-15-2012 11:51 PM

I just use a slightly smaller filter then I tape the outside edge to seal the unit works great.

-- Gee ,Florida

View taoist's profile

taoist

#12 posted 05-16-2012 04:02 AM

I bought some 12×24 filters at a local big box store and use them as a prefilter for the intake. The original jet prefilter still looks like it just came out of the box. I originally used duct tape to seal it to the frame but have found the clips do just as well.

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

#13 posted 05-19-2012 10:56 PM

Am I missing something. Stock 3M Filtrete filters seem to fit mine just fine.

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.