Jet Cabinet Saw

Review by Cato posted 05-09-2012 11:13 AM 7499 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet Cabinet Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this table saw in March and I thought I would review it here as you have to do some digging to find reviews on this saw. The only other I found on this site was by Walnutz, a few months back.

I have a blog with pics on the arrival condition and assembly on the saw so I won’t go into detail on that except to say that the saw arrived in absolutely perfect condition neatly on a pallet and shrink wrapped.

This is my first true cabinet saw but in my research of and looking at the manuals of the machines I was interested in, I knew that there would be minimal assembly compared to my Ridgid saw.

There were no issues at all in attaching the wings, mounting the fence assembly, or adjusting the saw and I was impressed that the factory included their quality control sheet. I double checked these settings with my dial just in case something had gotten jostled in shipment but they were spot on.

What lead me to this saw was that it combined the features I liked about the Grizzly G0690 and their 1023 model, both of which were front runners in my search. It also fit the top end of my budget.

This is a 3hp saw which is enough for me as a hobbyist so I did not need the 5hp model. It has a really nice modular blade guard riving knife assembly that can be run as a full set up or you can remove the guard portion and just use the knife and pawls or remove the pawls and just have the knife. I did have to purchase a low profile riving knife for non through cuts, make up a power cord, and I ordered the Jet mobile base which works great.

The fence is the Exacta II, and it is a very nice and heavy duty fence. Once adjusted it has stayed true.

This saw has a blade shroud dust collection setup and that is a feature I was hoping would be an improvement over the standard sloped bottom style you see in most saws. Wow, here is a pic taken last week after over a month without opening the cab door. My trash can separator was half full from walnut and mahogany I have been using on a table project, and this is what was left in the saw!!

Same time frame in my other saw I would be using a brush and vacuum to clean out the interior.

From all that I can see and have experienced thus far, this saw is very solidly built, superb fit and finish, smooth running with plenty of power and really all that I hoped it would be. I have cut up to 10/4 walnut and it just slides right through with no burns and all you hear is a smooth cutting sound. Very very nice!!

This is a mid priced cabinet saw and I paid roughly $1920 when I caught it on sale, and ordered it from Tools Plus and had it delivered with liftgate service to my house.

This is my first piece of Jet machinery and this model has been out for several years now. I am on a local forum in my area where at least 4 owners of the same saw told me it was just a great saw, and very good customer service from Jet. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

Because all of the major brand equipment companies offer so much machinery you have to carefully evaluate and research each piece. One company may have a killer quality table saw, yet fall on their face with a planer, or band saw offering, so it takes some careful sorting and research in equipment buying.

I hope I have covered the necessary items in this now that I read it, lengthy review. If I have not make a comment or send me a PM.

View Bob42's profile

Bob42

#1 posted 05-09-2012 12:01 PM

I have the JTAS-10XL that I bought about 4 years ago from Craigs list and love the saw. It has enough power for what I need also. Glad you are happy with it, keep us posted.

-- Bob K. East Northport, NY

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 2021 days

#2 posted 05-09-2012 06:02 PM

Here’s another vote for the Jet Deluxe Exacta saw – I have the same machine and love it. Its smooth, powerful, everything you could want. I got the low profile riving knife which I think is sold as a powermatic accessory.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 05-09-2012 06:59 PM

congrats. looks like a solid machine

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#4 posted 05-09-2012 07:11 PM

Cato, congratulations on your new saw.
What made you prefer this one to a Grizzly 0690?

View Sorethumbs's profile

Sorethumbs

#5 posted 05-09-2012 08:14 PM

Nice review. What is the country of origin of that saw? Were the tolerance tests preformed in the US?

#6 posted 05-09-2012 10:20 PM

Thank you for your comments guys.

This was definitely a nice present to myself, but since it is a hobby I really enjoy and a great outlet from the pressures at work, well I decided to upgrade a much used tool in the shop.

Bert- when I realized that I kept coming back to this saw as one I wanted I went with that and decided not to let the close to $500 difference be a factor. That gut instinct has served me well. Doesn’t hurt that Lavergne TN where the saw ships from is right across the state line from me either. They have several service centers near me as well.

Sorethumbs- This saw is made in Taiwan. I would assume that the tolerance tests were done at the end of assembly there. I used my own dial indicator to check the factory tolerance tests and they were nearly a dead match to their spec sheet.

#7 posted 05-10-2012 01:11 AM

Love my JET cabinet saw as well !!
Yours looks sweet : )

View doordude's profile

doordude

#8 posted 05-10-2012 04:35 AM

nice write up.i’ved used this saw, before and it’s great.

#9 posted 05-10-2012 10:22 AM

Great review! Nice machine, congrats.

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#10 posted 05-10-2012 06:00 PM

I have the %hp version, and love it, I have worked it hard for years and no issues, very impressive saw

View bvdon's profile

bvdon

#11 posted 05-11-2012 04:36 AM

Want! I am using the Rigid R4511 that I bought for $300. Can’t beat the price but I do find myself wishing for more power and precision. It is a hobby so this would be a gift to self. Maybe next year.

-- http://woodwork.me

#12 posted 05-11-2012 10:54 AM

bvdon, I can’t say anything bad about my R4511 and it would still suffice for almost all that I do in this hobby.

Now it’s time to clean it up and sell it as it is eating up valuable floor space. For the money it was about a good a hybrid as any on the market, mainly to me because of the frame mounted trunnions.

View luthierchris's profile

luthierchris

#13 posted 06-07-2012 02:34 AM

I love mine esp dust collection and precision

View KingWoodScott's profile

KingWoodScott

#14 posted 09-25-2014 06:28 PM

Is this the same saw? http://www.rockler.com/jet-deluxe-xacta-3hp-10-table-saw-w-30-fence

Looks like the price has jumped quite a bit in 2 years. Great review.