Great Hand Saw for a Great Price.

Review by nobuckle posted 05-08-2012 09:26 PM 2810 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Hand Saw for a Great Price. Great Hand Saw for a Great Price. Great Hand Saw for a Great Price. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just a couple of days ago I purchased this “Pony” 15” Hand Saw and WOW what a saw. I recently embarked on a journey to learn how to use hand tools. This lead to the decision to attempt to do some resawing by hand. I started off using a Stanley 726 carpenter’s saw. That did not work out. Wrong kind of saw. So, while I was out the other day I stopped by my local Woodcraft and spoke with a salesman about what I was doing. He reccommended this hand saw. I’m glad he did. I was able to get the saw at a 10% discount so it ended up costing a little over $13 including tax.

This saw performed beyond my expectations. I was able to finsinh resawing my boards in much less time than I thought. Because of the way the teeth are made the saw has a very aggresive cut. It allowed me to remove alot of material very quickly. I was thoroughly impressed. The grip was comfortable for my smaller than average hand. The saw blade itself seems to be impregnated with a material that allows it to move smoothly through the material. The handle also has markings for 90 and 45 degrees so you can use the blade as a straight edge for layout work.

Here is a picture of the material that was resawn to a rough thickness of 1/2”;

I give this tool 4 stars and would reccommend this saw if you don’t have it already.

Thanks for reading this review. I look forward to you questions and comments.

-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"

View nobuckle's profile

nobuckle

View andyboy's profile

andyboy

501 posts in 2026 days

#1 posted 05-08-2012 09:45 PM

Hey Doug,
we have similar saws here “Jack” is the brand with orange handles. $16.00 and $10.00 on special. I am on my 3rd or 4th saw and think they are marvelous. You do have to be careful not to bend and kink the blade but if you are careful they last for ages. I let the kids use my older ones and they get used in the garden too for a bit of pruning etc.

-- Andy Halewoodworker. You can't finish if you don't finish. So finish it, because finish is everything.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#2 posted 05-08-2012 09:45 PM

You gotta love the inexpensive gems that come along some times. You think xlarge hands would fit this?

Thanx for posting.

John

View woodthaticould's profile

woodthaticould

#3 posted 05-10-2012 09:48 PM

Thanks for posting this. I’m just beginning (again) and I think this will be on one of my first shopping lists.

View KOVA's profile

KOVA

#4 posted 05-11-2012 04:17 AM

BIEN HECHO DOUG Y GRACIAS POR TU OPINIÓN: VOY A VER QUÉ ENCUENTRO EN LA ARGENTINA ;-)

-- KOVA, EL CARPINTERO DEL PUEBLO https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Carpintero-Del-Pueblo/148976618479733