It gets one extra star for coming back to life...

Review by 404 - Not Found posted 05-07-2012 10:06 PM 1932 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It gets one extra star for coming back to life... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A while ago I reviewed my Bosch Gas25 Workshop Vacuum.

In a nutshell, it died prematurely. I took it to the powertool ER. Two days later their ‘Tech Guy’ (or should I say ‘Tech Buffoon’) pronounced it DoA – ‘yeah, it’s your control panel mate, uneconomical repair’.

My review, as you can imagine, was not favourable.

Then, by a twist of fate, like Lazarus – it returned to life. It seems it just needed a good rest.

It happened like this…

There was a job to do in the far corner of the shop, that dark corner far away from any sockets, full of spiders, the odd beer can, the place where all the junk is piled prior to going to landfill. I needed somewhere to plug the jigsaw in. Would I get an extension cord out of the van? or chance plugging it in to the expired vacuum, which was destined to be recycled? I opted for the latter and depressed the trigger on the jigsaw, hoping that the juice would flow through the take off socket, YES!, jigsaw operational!, no need for the extension reel.

No signs of life from the vacuum either as expected.

Ear muffs on, cutting of the template complete, ear muffs off.

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

You could have knocked me over with a feather – the Bosch had awoken from it’s deep coma and was happily sucking away in the corner, without a bother in the world.

Delighted at my good fortune, I stripped the old girl down, sucked out all the saw dust from the electrics with my wife’s vacuum cleaner, and gave the switch a short squirt of the miracle elixir WD40.

Now it performs as good as new. So if there’s a lesson to be learned from this, it’s don’t take your broken down stuff to EPT in Carlow, they are clearly idiots, who only want to sell you new stuff.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#1 posted 05-08-2012 05:45 AM

I love bosch tools but can’t speak for their vacuums. Looks like they either suck or they suck… so to speak. Glad it resurrected for you

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

#2 posted 05-08-2012 09:46 AM

What a fun review. I hope your zombie vacuum is back to stay and doesn’t want to eat your brains. Maybe you want to seal up that switch area.

-- Big Al in IN

View Brrman's profile

Brrman

#3 posted 05-08-2012 12:50 PM

Funny, because the only issue I have ever had with my Bosch tools (and I have a lot of them) is my router – it has a faulty switch that needs to be cleaned occasionally or it won’t start up.

-- "Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect..."

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 05-11-2012 09:28 PM

you made me smile there :-)
sorry you have this kind of troubles with bosch wacumer
I have had one of the green hobby maschines and that have worked like a charm the last ten years
I have abused it ….. yes abused it
I have a brichhouse that is plastred with mortar and that makes alotdust everytime you even think of
doing some diy work on the house
if there is anything that can kill a dustsytem then its motar and concrete dust
but not the one I have …. before that I had to change vacumemashine every year
even though they suposed to be made for shop work

I hope after all it will serve you well in many years
though I hear they made it so the coal have to be changed every 400 hours or so