Simple & Well Made

Review by ShipWreck posted 05-07-2012 06:04 PM 6790 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simple & Well Made Simple & Well Made Simple & Well Made Click the pictures to enlarge them

I stopped by WoodCraft this morning to see what they had in stock for marking gauges. They had the Veritas dual marking gauge and the Cosman. Both were very well made and sold for the same price. I would have been happy with either one. I decided on the Cosman because the head/face has a nice flat area to prevent the tool from rolling off the bench. I got it home and marked about 10-12 lines along some red oak. I started at the 1/2” range all the way out to 5” in 1/2” increments. It marked as well with the grain as it did going across. The face is large enough to provide plenty of stability. You can use it one handed with it extended to about 3”. There is not much else to say about it other than excellent workmanship and materials used in making it. This tool will outlast me for sure.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#1 posted 05-07-2012 08:04 PM

Thanks for the review. If you don’t mind me asking, what did it cost?

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#2 posted 05-07-2012 08:25 PM

$59.00 Dwain

View TDog's profile

TDog

#3 posted 05-08-2012 05:12 PM

Would it be good to use in place of a Titemark gauge?
I would like to save some cash.

-- "So many projects...so little time..." Psalm 23

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#4 posted 06-22-2012 12:00 AM

thanks for the review I noticed this was linked in from robs site very cool for you . I am going to buy the set it is a savings to get this and the mortice gauge at the same time and is better than the Veritas IMHO.

-- Please check out my new stores http://woodratnest.com and http://woodshopstore.com

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

#5 posted 02-14-2016 06:13 PM

Well, That’s a great price, I was just looking at them (2016) and they have doubled in price since you purchased yours and they are only for sale on his website as far as many Google searches showed me. They are $120.00 not including shipping. It’s a quality tool that’s for sure but I can buy a Veritas and cut my own flat on it or a Wood River ($39.00). Or a Titemark for $90.00 or so. Although so far all of my hand tools have started to come from Ebay of late as I can’t afford the prices some of these guys are asking. I know they made it and they can ask what they want and believe me when I say it’s not that I don’t want one, because I do. It’s that I can’t afford one. I’ve seen the videos from his workshop, guy does great work and really puts the time and effort into a quality piece of equipment.
Pat

-- Really? Really? How important is it?