ridgid R4512:

Review by javelina posted 05-07-2012 08:22 AM 8748 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
ridgid R4512:   No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I statred working with mesquite wood about a year ago and one of the first machines I brought was the Ridge R4512 because of the price and the looks. One year later I am still trying to sell it. If I can’t sell it I will try to see if I can replace the motor with a motor with more HP. The Ridge R4512 is a good saw if you cut pine or soft wook BUT…..... it can’t cut mesquite or hard wood. It has a lot of problems cutting the wood. I have a lot of trouble cutting my wood for my projects. I am at the point where I take my wood to a friend of mine that has a larger HP table saw. I will call Ridge on 5-6-12 to see if I can up grade the motor on the saw. So be carefull before you buy the Ridge R4512. It’s a good looking saw but it has it’s limitations.

View Tomj's profile

Tomj

#1 posted 05-07-2012 09:58 AM

Seems like more and more signs keep popping up on why not to buy the r4512, I wonder if the steel city and rikon (similar except for the cabinet mounted trunnions) have the same problems when cutting hardwoods. I myself have like so many others on here have been debating which saw to buy (originally I was going for the r4512) but it just seems you can’t win for under $1000. I”ll probably end up with the Craftsmen 22116 or a more expensive cabinet saw. Thank you for your review. The reviews on lumberjocks really make all the difference in the wourld when it comes to buying the right tool. Thanks again.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#2 posted 05-07-2012 11:59 AM

How do you have it wired and what blade are you using? I’ve never worked with mesquite, and I am not sure where it ranks on the hardness scale, but my R4512 cuts hard maple with no complaints at all. I have it wired 220. I have a Forrest WWII, but as other have suggested, I think this blade really performs best on a 3hp+ saw. I wish I did some better research before I picked it up. I find for ripping, especially hard woods, my Freud LM75R010 (glue-line rip 30 tooth) cuts a little easier on this saw. I don’t get any chatter. burning, or slowing down, even with 9 foot long boards (4/4). When I want a REALLY clean cross cut, I use the LU74R010 from my miter saw blade stash. Again, no problems at all cutting hard maple. The included blade is terrible.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View BPS238's profile

BPS238

#3 posted 05-07-2012 01:02 PM

I’ve had mine for about a year and have had no problems with maple, oak, and cherry. Rips 8/4 white oak with no problems at all. Haven’t cut mesquite, though.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 05-07-2012 03:40 PM

I doubt the HP of the motor is the issue here…

is your saw tuned? what blade are you using – the factory supplied one with the saw or an after market blade (you should have gotten a better blade than what came with the saw)?

thre are other saws in the market with the same motor – and all cut hardwood up to 8/4 pretty well. – just saying.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View StinkyPete's profile

StinkyPete

#5 posted 05-07-2012 05:11 PM

I had a belt tension issue with my saw. Might be worth checking. If the belt comes loose, the saw is pretty useless.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#6 posted 05-07-2012 08:02 PM

I would suggest a new blade, possibly thin kerf that will work for either cross cutting or ripping. Also, I don’t know if your issue is throwing a circuit. If that is the case, i would suggest re-wiring to 220. Those two things along with a good tune up should help out a lot. Remember, you don’t have a 3HP cabinet saw there!

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View cso's profile

cso

#7 posted 05-08-2012 12:42 AM

I had similar issues, I took it back to the store. Used thin kerf blades, wiring was perfect (no extension cords, no voltage drop issues). It was a pain to align the blade to miter slots as well.

View JNP's profile

JNP

#8 posted 05-08-2012 02:51 AM

No problems here. I have gone through over 1,000 bd/ft of 5/4 and 6/4 hickory over the past few months and it performed like a champ. I do have the WWII thin kerf and a crosscut blade.

-- Jeff

#9 posted 05-08-2012 03:24 AM

Thanks for your comments on my R4512. I called Ridgid today and found out my saw only has .9548 HP. and they could not help me. This was the second R4512 I have had. The first one was so bad Ridgid told me to return it to Home Depot. I was having the same problem as I am having right now. I guest it’s just the saw, because I am using good blades and I don’t have trouble with pine. But when it comes to cutting pecan, mesquite, and hard mable the saw doesn’t do a good job. I will however check the belt, and also see if I can change it to a 220 plug.

#10 posted 05-08-2012 03:28 AM

I forgot to mention that I don’t cross cut much with the R4512. I rip my boards.

#11 posted 05-08-2012 08:35 AM

I have the rigid 3650 which is basiclly the same saw just cpl yr’s before yours. I have cut thousands of board feet on mine making over 200 cutting boards out of 8/4 Hard maple , Paduak, Walnut, Purple Heart ect. While I would like a 3 or 5 HP saw, mine works fine. Sound’s like a blade issue. I like many others, use Forrrest’s Wood Workers II blade. Once the blade starts gumming up I clean it and spray it with Dry Teflon. I user Krud Kutters form HD, which works well for clenaing the blade. Good luck.

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

#12 posted 05-08-2012 12:55 PM

I’ve been cutting 6 inch walnut with mine with no problem at all. Maybe it’s your blade.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#13 posted 05-08-2012 01:23 PM

Are you sure your saw isn’t heeling? You mentioned you mostly rip with with the saw. Have you made sure the fence is perfectly aligned with the blade? Also how is your power situation? Are you using any extension cords? What size breaker is on the circuit you plug into?

As I mentioned I’ve ripped a ton of hard maple lately and have not had any issues. I do notice a difference between hard and soft woods, but I wouldn’t say hard woods are difficult. When I rip pine or poplar I can barely even tell there is a board passing through the blade. Hard maple offers a little resistance, but nothing that requires much effort. I don’t get any bogging, binding or burning at all like I did on my little Ryobi I replaced.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#14 posted 05-08-2012 07:35 PM

I just got one and the only problem I have is gettinh the saw guard on.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View Ross's profile

Ross

#15 posted 05-08-2012 08:17 PM

r4512 question: Does the riving knife raise and lower with the blade or does it have a finite set of positions?