Super Dust Deputy Add on for 4" DC systems

Review by TechRedneck posted 837 days ago 11723 views 8 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Super Dust Deputy Add on for 4" DC systems Super Dust Deputy Add on for 4" DC systems No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While researching this product, I noticed that there was not a review on LJ’s for this specific model of cyclone. I have a smaller ClearVue Mini and absolutely love it, however there were few choices on the market for cyclones specifically made for the majority of small DC systems out there in the 1-2 HP range.

I think that Oneida has something here for that niche market. In fact, I am surprised yet pleased that they made one of these available because it can directly compete with their larger systems. At $219 Direct from the factory along with $25 standard shipping, my unit arrived in a few days and was packed very well. Construction and finish is excellent. The deciding factor in my decision was the Best Buy recommendation from a review in Fine Woodworking. Yes… I could have made my own, however in my opinion, for the money it is worth considering.

I decided to retrofit my Delta 50-760 with this cyclone because I was tired of having to constantly check the level in the trashcan of my primary separator. When it was about half full, the chips would swirl and get sucked into the blower unit and into the plastic bag, the filter would start to clog and air volume would drop. A cyclone was the answer to having a constant air flow and have the can fill over 2/3 full or more with no chips in the bag.

I have been using this setup for a week now and have milled a bunch of rough cut 5/4 cherry.

The cyclone pulls out nearly all the chips and dust. Only thing in the bag on the DC is a few teaspoons of dust. I have noticed a significant increase in air volume over the old WoodCraft Trashcan pre-separator lid.

Nice thing about this is that the whole DC system. Filter, DC unit, Cyclone is about half the cost of a regular 1.5 HP cyclone sold on the market. If you have an Existing DC and want to keep the filter clean and air flowing this is a good upgrade.

I have Blogged about the build HERE if you are interested in how to retrofit a Delta 50-760 with a Super Dust Deputy Cyclone and have it take up less floor space than it would with a pre-separator.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1937 days

That looks like a worthwhile DC upgrade if you have the ceiling height for it.

I have the same problem with the pre can separator that you had. Big can but can only hold about a 1/3 of dust before it gets sucked into the bag.

How high is your unit now that you stacked it vertically for the cyclone?

Cato

7 1/2 feet tall from floor to top of the filter.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Great review and better blog. Thanks again!

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I agree with you on the efficiency of this unit. I’ve had mine for a couple of months now, and it’s amazing the amount of debris that doesn’t make it to the filter. The only time I really get any dust in the canister is when I using my drum sander, otherwise everything get dropped into the can. I have mine mounted on a 55 gallon drum. I’m able to pull down a ring, that the ropes go through, to lift the cyclone off the drum when it needs to be emptied. I may mount the motor/impeller on the wall with the cyclone below later when I get to rearranging my shop. Good review.

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

I did a similar thing with my setup. Love how it separates! I have my exhaust piped to outside and the only time I get stuff going outside and not into the can is when I run my drum sander, but it still collects a lot of the sanding dust.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

View stenpm's profile

stenpm

Good evening (in Russia now evening). Can someone help me?
Please measure the size of Super DD (a, b​​, с, d, e, f)
This Super DD – a great thing, but the price of a shipment to Russia is very high. I want to try to do it myself. And consider the mistakes of the manufacturer, which are listed here.
Regards, Dmitry

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

every one on here should check out http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ this dude will tell you every thing will ever need to know about DC. he gave birth to the clear view cyclone and will answer answer any ?’s you have and guide you alomg the way

View Roger's profile

Thnx for the review

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

After retirement, my Oneida cyclone was more machine than I needed. They are not designed to be turned on and off as often as the smaller units and I needed to turn my collector off and on several times a day.

I sold my cyclone and bought a 1-1/2 hp Jet, with a canister filter, to run on one machine. It even does a reasonable job on my table saw, which has an Excalibur over-arm collector to deal with too.

Without a separator, the collector works well, but bags fill quickly, or the cartridge has to be cleaned often. It has a spinning agitator to knock dust off the filter pleats. A must, but you still need to shake the entire unit to finish dropping everything down, or efficiency will remain compromised.

I put an old trashcan debris separator in line on the unit. It kept impellers safe and removed a lot of debris, but it also knocked down performance significantly.

A couple days ago, my Super Dust Deputy arrived. I used a 30 gal plastic drum for the base (thank you local farmer fertilizer supplier guys). With everything well sealed, I fired my collector up and it was a vast improvement over the trash can separator. I can, again, clean the floor with it, but don’t have to worry about nails and things working their way past the impeller blades.

After cutting the top out of the barrel, I used some old counter top material for the lid. I routered a lip on the underside of the lid. This is not necessary, but did make positioning the foam seal easy and helps a little with centering the top on the barrel.

For the seal, I just used foam weatherization strips you’d use on a door. It’s cheap and self adhesive.

To hold the lid down and to insure a good seal, I bought four of the rubber hold hold-downs you see used on big trucks hoods (or my Twinkie mobile (step van)). I positioned one every ninety degrees, I might have been able to get by with three, but they came in pairs.

I cut a view port in the side, then riveted and sealed a piece of clear plastic over it.

I found fifty feet of clear, four inch pipe on Amazon, with free Prime shipping, for around sixty dollars. That allowed me to tie the whole system together.

Obviously, several improvements could be made. For example, going to larger hose from the collector to the cyclone would reduce line loss. I might shorten the barrel, to make it easier to handle when emptying, but may leave it, since the port should tell me when it’s time (e.g., around a third full). I might add another gasket to the interior of the barrel to up the ease of sealing too.

In short, a big thumbs up for the combo. One on each side of the shop should take care of all my needs.

SIDE NOTE: I bought the metal version of a Dust Deputy about seven years ago. It sold me on cyclones. I was able to downsize the size of my vacuum, since the filters stayed clean so much longer. The only reason I opted for the plastic version this time was, its design looked like it MIGHT flow better than the metal version. Since it will not be subjected to the same abuses my little Deputy does, it should hold up fine.

View sawedoff's profile

sawedoff

How are these doing now? I did my own separator from ideas from by this site and haven’t really been pressed with the results. I am thinking about getting one of these. I’d appreciate any new input

Thx!

-- still wet behind the ears.....

TechRedneck

I’ve been using mine for around 3.5 years now and it is still as good as the day it was installed. It is turned on and off quite often as I work in the shop.

I hit the canister with compressed air every so often and the clear bag has a little more dust in it (about 2 cups) but have never changed the clear bag since the cyclone went in service. I just have to remember to check the drop can level when planing a bunch of lumber.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

I have one of the trash can types that removed heavy stuff. They are just a lid with some half-hearted ports and sell for around twenty bucks. The difference between it and my cyclones is a night-and-day thing.

I don’t really see a huge drop in pressure with the Super Dust Deputy. Like others, I could probably run the bag for a year, before I have to empty it.

Even with the cyclone in line, I still have to clean the canister filter regularly, which includes shaking the unit after running the paddles. Otherwise, everything drops from the filter onto the middle (on top the Jet “Vortex”), killing performance. Immediately after shaking, I’ll see a cup or so of fines land in the bag and, after I start it again, I note a huge improvement.

If I wasn’t running the cyclone, I’d have to go through the filter clean up more often, but like with my small vacuum unit, efficiency stays high much longer.