Knot-Tec Light Industrial Wood Repair Kit

Review by MaxFinnigan posted 840 days ago 2575 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Knot-Tec Light Industrial Wood Repair Kit Knot-Tec Light Industrial Wood Repair Kit Knot-Tec Light Industrial Wood Repair Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

I actually bought this kit to repair some marks we had in our hardwoods and it worked like a charm. I love having hardwood floors, but we have the tendency to drop things every now and again. The Knot-Tec kit made filling in the dents and scratches in our floor easy. One of my friends bought the Professional Kit and uses it for filling in knots in his homemade furniture pieces. I am hoping to get some pointers from him in the furniture building realm eventually.

The kit comes with everything you need for knot and wood repair projects. It includes 2 different formulas of the Polyamide Hot Melt. The 2 formulas are Knot-Tec 7713 and Knot-Tec 7718. The kit gives you 12 sticks of each formula in a variety of colors. I grabbed the stick I thought would match our floors best, luckily I picked the right one—it ended up blending right in. You can buy additional sticks in the specific colors you need, they come in amber, beige, black, cola, cream, and oak. The kit also consists of 2 metal heatsink blocks, a silicon release mat, a mouseplane (it’s a fancy razor blade you use to remove excess).

I ordered mine from Hotmelt.com, but you might be able to find it somewhere else too.
They have the Knot-Tec Light Industrial Kit (That’s the one I got) and they have Knot-Tec Professional Wood Repair Kit. The big difference between the two kits is the glue gun—the professional one has a better glue gun with it.

PDF on KNOT-TEC

I found this video on Youtube it shows exactly how to use it.

-- Max

View MaxFinnigan's profile

MaxFinnigan

View Paul's profile

Paul

Never heard of this before, I wonder if it is as good as epoxy for filling in voids in wood projects?

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View abie's profile

abie

An instructor of mine, from a box making class, showed me how to fill and stablize knots in wood with coffee grounds ( wet) and packed in, and thin CA glue to cure ,
works wonders and is inexpensive.
BT

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View REL's profile

REL

Very expensive for colored hot melt sticks! As mentioned you can do about the same thing with various types of shavings CA or epoxy. Plus, I believe the CA or Epoxy would be more durable.

-- REL, North Jersey

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

well as I’ve just found out….

if you’re going to use epoxy, don’t wipe it flush with a putty knife :^(

as it appears the surrounding wood will now never take a finish

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Ken Fitzpatrick's profile

Ken Fitzpatrick

Nice review. The video from Youtube is great. I usuallly tend to cut away those types of problems but I can see where it would be a real wood saver for some projects that are enhanced by the knots showing. There are probably lots of other ways to do this, but this seems like an extremely easy way to do it. Thanks so much for posting the review.

-- • "I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm."....... Calvin Coolidge

View Milo's profile

Milo

851 posts in 1944 days

Ha. I’ll bet Furniture Medic isn’t pleased to see this… ;)

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

View sebamedel's profile

sebamedel

Hello, I work on a Door Factory, and we had this kit before and we ordered tons of resin sticks, but they run off, and for us is very expensive and difficult to import this again (we are from South america), also we have a machine to patch holes, but it’s a very slow process, and it is only for small holes, here is the webpage that sell this machine . Do you have a better solution for repairing knots? I have seen online for different solutions, but they only use epoxy, I have never try it, but I think I would have problems after with the paint. Please if you know a better way to deal with these, let me know. Thanks!

-- Puertas Wood's, Valdivia, Chile