Howards Butcher Block Conditioner :Nice satin finish on cutting boards

Review by pintodeluxe posted 05-01-2012 05:12 PM 5867 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Howards Butcher Block Conditioner :Nice satin finish on cutting boards No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was impressed with this product after applying it to some cutting boards recently. In the past I have used mineral oil, which leaves an oily finish that never seems to dry. The Butcher Block Conditioner is a mix of mineral oil and natural waxes, so it dries to a smooth satin finish after 20 minutes. A quick wipe-down and the wood feels great.
Available at Home Depot.
I think it is worth a try.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#1 posted 05-01-2012 05:39 PM

^thanks for this, Pinto! I’ve always used mineral oil, too, and scoffed at $8 bottles of what I thought was just mineral oil with a fancy label. Given your success, I might have to give this stuff a try. Thanks again!

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#2 posted 05-01-2012 05:53 PM

I used this on a bread saw for my mom at Christmas and it turned out quite well, though it can get a little messy when applying if not careful.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#3 posted 05-01-2012 06:14 PM

I love this stuff too.

But I have switched to a couple of coats of plain mineral oil first, then use this product which is mineral oil and waxes. It is cheaper this way, but the main reason is that I seem to get a board that is more long lasting and washable by doing the first deep penetration of oil. The wax seems to close up the pores too fast. I donknow, works for me.

Good stuff, I would recommend it.
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#4 posted 05-01-2012 06:26 PM

Steve,
Yeah I could see that working too. Thanks for the tip.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#5 posted 05-01-2012 10:06 PM

That stuff looks interesting, I might try it. I always do a good soaking application with General Finishes Butcher block oil..It’s basically mineral Oil that’s at a thinner viscosity. It soaks into the board deeply, then I hit it with regular Mineral Oil blended with beeswax, warmed slightly till the wax is clear. This seems to work good..if you put the wax mixture on first it seems to impede the deep penetration of the oil, like Steve said. When I sell/give away boards, most people either never cut on them ..ever, or they treat them really badly..leaving them wet, cutting with serrated edged knives…never oiling the board…so i like to send them off with a good soaking!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#6 posted 05-02-2012 02:11 AM

I use the same stuff on all my cutting boards. Great product and available from Home Depot.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

#7 posted 05-03-2012 02:51 AM

Carnauba Wax 8015-86-9 2-8

View Ken Fitzpatrick's profile

Ken Fitzpatrick

#8 posted 05-05-2012 07:57 PM

I’m not surprised at the good comments. Haven’t used it myself but have used other Howard’s products and they are all great. Thanks for the review.

-- • "I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm."....... Calvin Coolidge

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#9 posted 05-06-2012 05:15 PM

If anyone anyone wants a homemade version of it, I suggest warming some food-grade mineral oil in a jar placed in boiling water. Then place some chunks of beeswax and/or carnauba wax until they all melt and mix together. It has worked great for my cutting boards. You can essentially make the same thing for a fraction of the cost, but then again what’s your time worth? :D

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

#10 posted 11-01-2012 08:03 PM

Does the wax content have any effect on food appearance or taste? And does the wax ever flake off when cutting?

#11 posted 11-03-2012 03:30 AM

Doesn’t affect food. Doesn’t flake off.
You will need to recondition cutting boards periodically.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#12 posted 01-31-2013 09:09 PM

The wax is absorbed into the wood, it doesn’t sit on the surface so there’s nothing to flake off. I used this on a hickory bread cutter and I really like the way it feels even after months of everyday use. I recommend many coats applied when the wood is at room temp or a little above. And it smells nice.

Wayne